News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid - Rogue Dawn

Started by Grimlock, August 02, 2014, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PKstarship

It's awesome to see this so close to completion. I just hope I get my new Kindle Fire soon so I can enjoy this fully when it comes out, and not have to worry about my crappy battery :lol:

Also, to me, it's really odd to see Samus' picture while the manual refers to her using male pronouns. It just feels wrong, but I guess the manual was written before it was well known that Samus is female.

Quietus

It's interesting that the story specifically states 'he' when referring to Samus. I can see why a lot of people would have been thrown. I'd always assumed that it deliberately didn't mention gender. :^_^:

samplerInfo

Quote from: Quietus on January 22, 2016, 04:41:10 AMI'd always assumed that it deliberately didn't mention gender. :^_^:

And I always thought it had to do with negligent translation, as was often the case in that era. I.e. that Samus gender wasn't mentioned in the original Japanese manual. However:
http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-was-samus-called-a-he-in-japanese-too/

Quietus

Oh, what internationally hoodwinking scallywags! :grin:

QwaserTresa

I don't know if anyone has asked this already but is this a console friendly version for us with a flash card? i guess the question is will this be playable on a real NES? i don't mod or hack, sorry if its obvious i just know some hacks do and some don't.

And can we get another random screenshot of anything in the game? :)

snarfblam

I haven't tested it on actual hardware yet. I intend to, but if it doesn't run on hardware I think we would probably end up releasing it as-is, sort that out afterwards, and release an update. Last time I had a hack that didn't run on hardware, I had to bug somebody else to help me fix it because I don't have an NES hardware debugger.

Grimlock

Quote from: QwaserTresa on January 22, 2016, 04:56:48 PM
And can we get another random screenshot of anything in the game? :)

Random randomness request randomly accepted:  :cool:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

PKstarship

:holyf: Pardon me while I pick my jaw up off of the floor.

All of those pics look really good, my favorite is the water area. Also, I find that HUD to be very pleasing to the eye, it's nice to see some change to the HUD for probably the first time ever. The map system looks especially nice.

Keep up the amazing work! :^_^:

QwaserTresa

Am really liking these, never seen those cool looking enemies before, areas and map looks really polish.
After looking at these screenshots for a while i remember something i heard while watching ShyGuyExpress' play-through of "Samus: Mother Brain Returns".
Something about bit tracking and palette color swap to make the map reflect areas already visited on the map so i was wondering if that is a feature in the hack or something we can expect as an patch latter sometime after release?
am fine without it tbh but am just a little curious...

Great job so far guys!

MetroidMst

Quote from: PKstarship on January 22, 2016, 10:25:18 PM
my favorite is the water area.
Be honest, it's because it has bubbles.

Grimlock

Federation science ship crew graphics:  :wink:

Grimlock

Quote from: QwaserTresa on January 23, 2016, 07:05:55 AM

After looking at these screenshots for a while i remember something i heard while watching ShyGuyExpress' play-through of "Samus: Mother Brain Returns".
Something about bit tracking and palette color swap to make the map reflect areas already visited on the map so i was wondering if that is a feature in the hack or something we can expect as an patch latter sometime after release?
am fine without it tbh but am just a little curious...

That's an interesting idea.  It's unlikely that RD will have that feature when initially released.  Currently there aren't any plans to add additional features after releasing RD.  We'll release updated ROMs to address any bugs as required.  There's a second feature to the map system that allows you to pause the game to have access to a larger scrolling map.  It should help when players get lost roaming around.

Grimlock

Optomon released a .nsf file with most of the games music.  There's just a few tracks remaining so by this time he's done hopefully everything else will be wrapped up as well.

Quote from romhacking.net:
Quote from: optomon on January 27, 2016, 01:46:39 PM
Here is the nsf (so far)

Rogue_Dawn.nsf

Tenatively, where each track appears in the game

1.   Title theme (definitely not finished)
2.   Elevator room
3.   Main ship
4.   Planetary surface
5.   Water area
6.   Main core (forest area)
7.   Chozo ruins
8.   Science ship (probably)
9.   Boneyard
10. Final area (has dry sampling, would like to improve)
11. Boss theme (same)
12. Escape

No ending theme yet, and a few other minor tracks are still needed.

Meeptroid

Wow, Grimlock, everything new about Rogue Dawn looks absolutely amazing! Keep up the good work!

Grimlock

Just wrapping up the final punch list and music.  We're close to doing some actual play testing, just have a few minor bugs Snarfblam is working out.  Once the music is complete we have to bring it into the main/master rom.  I still have some menu graphics and the ending to do.  I'd say minus some extras I'm working in to the level design it's pretty much complete (area construction and polishing). I'm sure the play testing will generate another punch list though.

Bartuna

PKstarship

It's really awesome to see that this is so close to completion. Once this finally comes out, I'm gonna drop all the games I'm currently playing and play this a ton.

The suspense is killing me :^_^:

Meeptroid

Most definitely PK, once this comes out, be prepared to see me on a weekend just trying to beat this on a stream that may or may not happen all day. But really, Grimlock, the suspense is most definitely killing us all who are so patiently waiting for this great hack, but, don't release it prematurely dude, we will want the first version with very little known bugs and great gameplay. Just keep up the good work!

altoiddealer

Love the tracks - very hyped for this hack!

I want to point out that all of the tracks, aside from A and B, are pretty fast-paced.  I feel like there should be a better balance in this regard.  The game music that sticks in my head tends to be the slower paced, moodier songs.

Grimlock

Another Optomon music track uploaded to YouTube:    :cool:

Track L

Vismund Cygnus

Somewhat random, but what's with the "GY" in "ENERGY" being a different colour to the rest of the word? Is this intentional? It looks off.

Anyway, these tracks are great. Optomon has a knack for this 8 bit stuff, it seems. I was never too good at it, I'll stick to being able to use as many instruments as I please  :heheh:

PKstarship

I also am wondering something. How come there is no mini map in track I's video?

Also I'm thinking track L is my favorite so far. It sounds really fitting for that particular area.

Grimlock

The "GY" palette issue was already corrected by Snarfblam, by default that tile was assigned a different palette.  Optomon has music tracks worked into various builds of the hack so the videos aren't representative of the graphics, level design, and ASM (so no map in "I").

biospark

Dang, how many songs are going to be in this hack? The original only had a few.