News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hack or hex edit that allows metroids in multiple areas?

Started by Grimlock, July 24, 2014, 11:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimlock

I have a few ideas I'm working on for a second Metroid hack but it's still pen and paper (drawing out ideas before I choose to start anything).  One of the ideas involves metroids in early areas of the game. I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a hack or specific hex edit that would allow metroids to be loaded in multiple areas.  Alternately maybe there is a way to apply the characteristics of a metroid to an existing creature in an area.

mrrichard999

Quote from: Grimlock on July 24, 2014, 11:24:36 PM
I have a few ideas I'm working on for a second Metroid hack but it's still pen and paper (drawing out ideas before I choose to start anything).  One of the ideas involves metroids in early areas of the game. I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a hack or specific hex edit that would allow metroids to be loaded in multiple areas.  Alternately maybe there is a way to apply the characteristics of a metroid to an existing creature in an area.

This would be a fun idea to apply to the flying creatures of the different areas :)

Stinktier

Oooh, before one gets hold of the ice beam? it would make a nice hell run!  :twisted:

First thing, is enemy AI and graphics data level bank specific? (it would seem logical, but i don't have the time to check it out right now as i'm in the process of moving to a new location).
In that case the first thing would be to do some some copypasting and possibly concider some compromises (ie. overwriting another enemy if there is no room for more).

snarfblam

Enemy code is stored in level-specific banks (and is duplicated for enemies that are present in multiple levels). In some cases, levels contain code for enemies that aren't normally found there, but have glitched sprite arrangement data. For example, I've successfully added side-hoppers to Brinstar by adding graphics and fixing the sprite data. Unfortunately, Metroid code is found only in Tourian's bank. Since enemy code is the most poorly document code in the game, transplanting enemies from one level to another would probably be a pretty tough task. Squeezing the metroid sprite into vram might be a serious problem too.

Grimlock

Thanks for the insight Snarfblam.  Perhaps introducing the Metroids early in the game would best be achieved by breaking Tourian into multiple areas with multiple access/exit elevators.  Creating multiple areas that aren't necessarily connected to each other but require using different elevators to access.  I've already been considering that for the other areas.