News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Categorising Patches

Started by Vismund Cygnus, July 20, 2014, 01:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vismund Cygnus

So, believe it or not, some work has been happening on the Main Site. You'll notice that the patches page is all alphabetised now, but that is not enough. With the help of Thedopefish and Grime, the new, revamped Main Site is on its way.
So what does this have to do with anything, you ask?
Well, let me tell you, You see, I have a very important job. . .

Basically, I need some help with coming up with a definitive list of categories for the patches that are on the site, so that we don't end up with 90% of the stuff there being "Uncategorised". These categories need to be broad enough to encompass a few things, but narrow enough to be fairly specific. GFX, BTS, PLMs, Fixes, and Items would all be examples of good categories. "Edits the layout of the Item Menu" would be an example of a category that is way too narrow. ASM as a category is far too broad.
So, Metconst, what say you? What are some decent ideas for categories?

Quietus

BTS, Enemies, Movement and Controls, Graphics, and Data Management (for repointing and stuff).

Jiffy

First of all, patches need to be categorized into games, likewise Fusion, Zero Mission, Metroid 1 and Super.

Quietus

Agreed, but I think that with 99% of all stuff available being for Super, it's certainly the bulk of the work.

personitis

Going off what Quietus said, it would be far easier to list and make note of what is not for Super Metroid. As for categories, I'd have to say:

• PLMs
  • Enemies
  • Data Management
  • Gameplay (could likely use a better name, but let's think crashtour's "space jump and screw attack speed" or BF's "shinespark control" patches)
  • Graphics
  • Weapons (there seems to be enough on the subject)
  • JAM patches
  • FX (things you'd find in the FX editor/layer 3 related)
I think that should cover enough. I was going to say something else (not something for the list), but forgot while typing that list out. So if I happen to remember, I'll edit this. :<_<:

Quietus

Quote from: person701 on July 20, 2014, 03:37:26 PM
  • Gameplay (could likely use a better name, but let's think crashtour's "space jump and screw attack speed" or BF's "shinespark control" patches)
This is what I had as 'Movement and Controls'. :^_^:

DSO

I would put that as 'Music and SFX' or something similar. Unless you meant something else entirely by FX.

personitis

My thoughts were more toward the FX editor/layer 3 stuff.

Quietus

Wouldn't that just come under the graphics section?  Sounds could certainly have its own section, though there's not much out there yet.

JAM

Well done, Vis!
I tried to add new patches chronologically: new ones add to the end of the list. And it looks nice before there were too many patches. That's much better.

I was going to say something else (not something for the list), but forgot while typing that list out. So if I happen to remember, I'll edit this. :<_<:

« Last Edit: 21-07-2014, 00:49:22 by person701 »
It was already edited or still supposed to? =)

I like your list. I'd add 2 categories: bugfix (patch that fix the bug of original game. Captain Obvious) and palette (not new graphics, just recoloring of something. Suits, enemies etc.)

personitis

I'd say the "palette" category falls under graphics. Having tileset files separate from other graphic files wouldn't hurt, but it's redundant and a bit silly to part them since they are the same thing, just pertaining to different areas of the ROM. It'd be like parting common enemies and mini-bosses/major bosses. :neutral:

Bug fixes don't seem like a bad idea for a category. However, my only concern is that they don't really affect the game enough to really justify being in their own, reserved space. If it were up to me, I'd put those under gameplay.

crazyal02

Quote from: person701 on July 25, 2014, 02:50:07 PM
I'd say the "palette" category falls under graphics. Having tileset files separate from other graphic files wouldn't hurt, but it's redundant and a bit silly to part them since they are the same thing, just pertaining to different areas of the ROM. It'd be like parting common enemies and mini-bosses/major bosses. :neutral:

Bug fixes don't seem like a bad idea for a category. However, my only concern is that they don't really affect the game enough to really justify being in their own, reserved space. If it were up to me, I'd put those under gameplay.
But it'd be more intuitive to simply look under the "Fixes" section if you need, say, the Power Bomb Gate fix, rather than combing through the inevitably larger "Gameplay" section.

begrimed

I'd change weapons to new items, and have categories for HUD and BTS.

knuckles

Change "gameplay" to physics maybe? Edit: I agree with quietus.
Quote from: Quietus on July 20, 2014, 03:57:09 PM
This is what I had as 'Movement and Controls'. :^_^:

JAM

Guys, do you need a separate page for each kind of patches? Or just a big list, but patches beign categorised in it? We need to know before updating the design. Vis, could you add a poll, please?

FullOfFail

I'm a bit torn on this. A separate page for each patch would be a bit excessive, but they also need a better way of displaying the corresponding information on how it's used. The whole text file look up thing becomes a hassle when looking up them from someone who has many patches. Possibly a drop-down menu instead? Similar to how spoilers work here, you'd click them and it'd display the text for it.

Vismund Cygnus

Honestly, I think having separate pages for each kind of patch is excessive. One large page with categories should be fine, for now at least. There'll likely be a search feature once it's all updated (i.e. search for a specific type of patch), plus the list will be sortable by name, author, category, etc. anyway. However, separate text files for each patch will most likely be a thing (unless, of course, someone wants to reupload every patch as a .rar with descriptions included in a text document (not me)).