News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Volatile door pointer

Started by RealRed, June 02, 2014, 01:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealRed

In the room 9938, I used the door out (995F) for a regular door room (it used to be an elevator room).
Apparently, re-purposing this door information causes the entire game to crash when Samus's ship lands after the intro!
Is this a known problem? Can I prevent this, and if-so then how-so?

Scyzer

I'm not sure why the game would completely crash, but what you're doing will wreck a lot of things anyway. All elevator doors use the same door pointer ($88FC), and changing the door data for that door will change the door data for every elevator in the game.

RealRed

Oh, I get it. I guess samus's ship uses that too, somehow, when landing on the planet.
Thanks!
That is a little bit obnoxious though. I guess I'll just have to be more careful when using/modifying elevator rooms.

For future reference, is it fine to make new elevators that *don't* use the $88FC?

Scyzer

Elevators using the same door was just to make things easier on Nintendo's end I guess. Rather than having 20 or so doors which are exactly the same thing, just make one and use it for every elevator. You can certainly use any door as an elevator though (just give it a room pointer of $0000), or you can change the door_out table in Bank $8F so it uses a new door instead of $88FC.

FullOfFail

wha--- Bloodsonic is hacking again? This should be interesting, look forward to see what you're working on.

Quietus

Yeah, it's always nice to see people back at hacking.  Don't be a stranger, Bloodsonic. :^_^:

-DC-

Quote from: Quietus on June 02, 2014, 07:03:31 AM
Yeah, it's always nice to see people back at hacking.

*crashes the party* >.>

But really, good luck. I've been out of it forever as I can't do much without the ability to run an emulator and everything else I have going on. If I made a guess, I'd say entering/exiting the ship probably uses that data, which would explain crashing after the ship lands when Samus is supposed to emerge from the ship elevator style. Just a guess, though.