News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Escape2

Started by FullOfFail, May 26, 2014, 08:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cazort

So, I'm having trouble finding the intended sequence.

[SPOILER]
I had charge, spazer, missles, super missles, grapple beam, high-jump boots. Have killed only bomb chozo and spore spawn.

I explored the water maze but didn't get any major items and couldn't get by several parts. I explored the fearful lab a lot too, also didn't get any major items.

I then obtained Power Bombs through a very close-call heat run that took two tries (died the first time), got it in the hidden room behind the super missle block, after getting a normal missile in a heated room with spikes and grapple, following several heated rooms. I am pretty sure this was not the intended path because it cut it VERY close (and relied on A LOT of energy tanks). Power bombs opened up a lot of doors and pathways for me, but a lot of them seem to lead to overpowered enemies and/or dead-ends, which seems to reinforce that I sequence-broke. [/SPOILER]

So, I actually got the Spazer before X-ray scope...but...I have a habit of:

[SPOILER]
jumping into every one of those "Samus Eater" things because I know stuff can be hidden under them.
[/SPOILER]

That said, there are at least two hints or clues: (1) if you have X-ray scope, or possibly if you don't and if you're a "shoot and bomb every wall" type person, that can help you to discover it...you notice a passageway with a one-way crumble block, coming out of a certain area...and that tips you off "There is a secret nearby, that exits through this path" and makes you comb the area. It's not far from where that clue is.

Also...the specific spot where it's hidden:

[SPOILER]
First of all it's not far from where you get X-ray so this increases the likelihood of the player combing the area and finding that first hint.

Secondly, the bottom of the room with the spikes and Samus Eaters is conspicuously off-screen when you're walking through the intended path in the room. I.e. you're standing on that platform above it and you can't quite see what's below you. An observant player might notice, "I'm walking on a platform and can't see what's below me, I wonder what's down there?" and then you jump down to look and you notice the Samus Eater placed directly under the platform.

And you might notice that, unlike the other room with this setup, there is no trap with crumble blocks on the platform...so WHY is that Samus Eater there? If it were just there, no player would fall into it. Is it purely aesthetic? But most of the rest of this hack has been pretty intentional.

At least this was my reasoning and I think this was what made me go "Huh this looks suspicious." and ultimately discover the Spazer.
[/SPOILER]

I would characterize this as "hard", but with multiple subtle hints. And it's only hard because of how it's hidden, there's no tricky technique necessary to get it, unlike many other items in this hack.

Is it intended for me to get varia, gravity suit, speed booster, or some other major item before getting power bombs?

Jtom82713

Hello.
I have beaten all the bosses except for Ridley. The door leading to him is locked in the spiked room. Howdo I unlock it?

Quietus

Quote from: Jtom82713 on August 10, 2021, 08:05:45 PM
Hello.
I have beaten all the bosses except for Ridley. The door leading to him is locked in the spiked room. Howdo I unlock it?
I haven't played this in ages, so can't answer directly, but there's a post here that may help. :^_^:

Rendood

Hi everyone!

Congrats to the hacker on an excellent mod, first of all. I love how open it is and how there's alternate ways to collect a bunch of items.

I'm having trouble getting the Super @ Landing Site where you have to shinespark up a spike shaft. I don't know if I missed a hidden mechanic when the ball picks up speed, but I can't figure out how to store a spark from that point. I even tried bringing a spark from the previous room with the hoppers, and succeeded in navigating the red platforms, but at the very bottom of the room there's no space to morph, haha.

I do know that the game keeps booster activation speed stored for a little bit if you don't stop moving (was required in Water Maze IIRC), but I couldn't apply that idea from ball form to human.

That huge shinespark maze was really fun, btw. I don't usually bother with the super difficult challenges in these hacks but that one I couldn't stop until I got it right.

Rendood

Okay, I got it. Learned from watching the speedrun. For future reference in case anyone's having trouble with that Super:

You have to do a tiny hop in ball form, unmorph in the air, land and continue running to carry the spark speed. Might sound obvious to people who speedrun the game, but that's literally the only time in the whole hack where that trick is necessary, so I had no idea. Pretty cool trick, anyway!

Now to hunt for that last damn missile pack...

Spospo

Metroid Omoroid!

DonnyDonovan

What's changed in 2.0?

Edit:  Not sure what's changed as I haven't played this in years, but I did replay, and forgot how much I enjoy this one.  I also found two different escape routes, which I think is discussed earlier in the thread as well.  I only got like 70% so I missed a lot, but I got all major items, many of which are not where the thread says they are (spazer, x-ray, etc.).