News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Community Z-Factor (1.3) Race

Started by MetroidMst, May 21, 2014, 10:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Z-Factor Version?

8 (42.1%)
11 (57.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 01, 2014, 04:15:57 PM

MetroidMst

Sometime in mid to late June, there will be a community race of Z-Factor! Using our lovely little Mumble thing, everyone joining in can gather, chat, talk smack about Eppy's skills, speak of crash's amazing speed, or just hang out while a group tries to conquer this hack. Now, you may be thinking that the hack is quite large, and therefor not really good for speedrunning. On the contrary, just knowing where to go cuts out 10+ hours of exploration.

We also have a couple of other tools. Danidub made a map of the hack, which will be most helpful for finding and planning your route, and also referencing if you get lost. DMan also made a speedrun of the hack, with an ending gametime of 1:17. That time could be cut by quite a bit, but it is still decently long, so you will want to have some time set aside to participate.

Race will take place:
1. July 5th @4PM EST
2. Use patch 1.3
3. If you are able, hop on the MetConst Mumble.
4. If you feel like recording your run, I plan on making a video of the race at some point after it is finished.

The map and the speedrun video from DMan are in the spoilers below. And in case you don't have it, the 1.0 patch is attached to this post as well. (Because 1.0 is still best, even if we are racing 1.3) Hopefully we'll see you there!

[spoiler=Map by Danidub][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Possible speedrun route]Super Metroid: Z-Factor Speedrun [1:17][/spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

Count me in (assuming that I'm free). I'm gonna do it blind for lols. Wish me luck!

MetroidMst

I'm sorry Vismund. I had to laugh. I think you know not what pain awaits you if you try it blind. However, it gives noobs and non-pros alike hope that they can finish!

[spoiler=Blind][/spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

You think I'm not aware of the pain? That's like, 100% of the fun for me!  :wink:
By the way, is that 1.3 map accurate for 1.0?

Because I'll need it

a lot

:colonrightv:

Quietus

I've mentioned it before, but I always feel that the best time for community events is around 12:00-13:00 in the States on a Saturday or a Sunday.  It means that anybody to the east, including most of Europe and beyond, can still be up (it'd be mid to late evening), and people to the west still have time to get themselves up without crawling out of bed at stupid o'clock.  I know that there will be a few people that are excluded from this, but I feel that it covers the large majority of users.

Metaquarius

1.0 ? Why, why, why... Have people not suffered enough already ?

Quietus

I was wondering why 1.0, but assumed there was a reason behind it.  Maybe DMan has been nudging people? :^_^:

MetroidMst

Quote from: Metaquarius on May 22, 2014, 06:46:57 AM
1.0 ? Why, why, why... Have people not suffered enough already ?
Because 1.0 is best. (Except for respawning Pipe enemies behind the Chozo orb boss.) And it doesn't remove my gate. Although, I guess we could also decide if we do the 1.0 or the latest version of the hack. Or just 1.0

Quietus

Well, it just seems to make sense, since it's the version of the hack that players would download and play.  Whenever we play other hacks, such as Redesign, Phazon, or whatever, we don't stick with the original versions.  Maybe a chance to run both..?

craighypheno

I've seen some of the community speed runs/randomiser races on MST's 'Tube and I'd love to take part, but it would be by far the longest race thingy ever with how far behind I would be! I attempted Z Factor once and it took me forever* (darn you Zaridia) and a bit. Have fun though  :^_^:

* = slight exaggeration

[spoiler]Maybe one day...[/spoiler]

MetroidMst

That is why it is about a month away still, to allow practice and learning the hack a little better. Plus the map helps a lot too.

craighypheno

I attempt to do things like green gate glitching and ibj-ing and so on but I struggle... Plus I don't think I'd be able to learn Zaridia like the back of my hand in that space of time!

MetroidMst

From what I played last night, there won't be a need for Gate glitching or IBJing. I still have to hammer some things out in regards to what route I am going to take, but once you know what you have to do in Zaridia, it really isn't hard. It is just having enough energy/ammunition to take down Draygon.

squishy_ichigo

I'm interested in racing, but now that I have a job again, not sure if the time will mesh up well enough for me to join in.

I do like the idea of racing hacks, its not done often enough.

FullOfFail

I don't know about the racing part.. but if I'm around, I'll participate. Was wanting to give Z-Factor another shot anyway.

Digital_Mantra

I'd love to give this a go though I'm too rusty (not just at Z-Factor, but SM in general), and a hack of this magnitude is rather daunting for practice running again.
I'm too focused on speedrunning/deathless/hiscoring other games atm. Games that aren't longer than 15-30 minutes.
Easy to get back on the horse with a duration that small. I see this being one of those runs where almost everyone dies at some point, only to restart.

Also my video is stupid silly, I was using a keyboard (hence the 3tile midair morphs), that shit is inconsistently difficult with a controller.
Keyboard users will have certain advantages in this race.

Speaking of Community Race, seems more fitting to go for a mini-hack. A hack designed with racing in mind. Hmm, I wonder if something like that exists?
You know, like a racing track hack or something, a grand prix hack, hmm..

MetroidMst

While those are good choices, but Grand Prix hacks can be finish in 10 minutes combined. The hilarity of people running around in Z-Factor, not to mention what will probably be hectic group call will only add to the amazingness. Especially once Zaridia takes hold.

Digital_Mantra

Oh and mst, you got the 1.3 map up, hard to practice with when you're powerpackin' on the couch. Rigid. v1.0 is the best girth. - Daltone

MetroidMst

That is the only map I am aware of. And since people may want the 1.3 patch, it may be exactly what is needed. Even if 1.0, it will help with general progression.

Eppy37

There was a version 1.0 map, I'm pretty sure I remember looking at one(It had......that gate on it)

Jiffy

I'm in this. I'll have to figure out the actual route because I'm stuck in Brinstar as of now.

Hopefully my mic will work soon enough.
For time, a Saturday/Sunday, 3-9pm GMT, that's all I'm available for.

Digital_Mantra

Oh yeah I remember making a map for this.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Daltone

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on May 25, 2014, 02:20:00 AM
Oh and mst, you got the 1.3 map up, hard to practice with when you're powerpackin' on the couch. Rigid. v1.0 is the best girth. - Daltone
I'm pretty sure ive never said rigid or girth.

If ppl are going to play any other version then i will also tell 1.0 to go fuck itself as its frustrating even with the future knowledge. lets come up with what we are actually running before i practice 1.0 anymore.

shibby 20.5²

MetroidMst

Add a poll to see if we'll be doing 1.0 or 1.3. It will end in a week.

Charmander106

I might join in if I got the time, I also wanted 1.3 because it would be easier to go speed through, right?