News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

It's addicting...

Started by Bigmac9137, May 10, 2014, 09:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmac9137

So I'm new here, and have always loved super metroid, best game I've ever played. I've beat it many different times but never 100% and not with a rush time, best was 3 hr 12 mins. I just recently ran into the back community and got interested. Bought a USB controller and here I am.
I'm looking for best hacks to start with. I love the original game, and like linear stuff, free roam gets me frustrated quicker. I have played Super Metroid: Impossible, and it's hard but fun.

I can do some tricks like midair morph, IBJ, wall jumping(not like some though) but still can't do mockball or quick charge.

Basically point me to the right one. Impossible is fun but requires mockballing.
Redesign looks like a huge free roam, but heard good things about Legacy, precision and MSZM

Just tell me what to play...i fricken love Super Metroid

Kitsune_Phoenix

Well, somebody is working on redoing Fusion within SM, but that is all I can say right now.

Daltone

u should play cliffhanger

FullOfFail

There's tons of hacks, and it's more about personal-preference, but my personal favorites are:

Eris
Z-Factor
Super Zero Mission
Redesign
Phazon
Cliffhanger

All of those are Full-Hacks that people spent alot of time on.

Jordan5

You mentioned Legacy, which was the first hack i played. I think it's a good one to start with as it's not very difficult, but it definitely a lot of fun and is one i've gone back to many times. The one's FoF mentioned are definitely great hacks but are quite difficult if you're an average player like myself. If you want a smaller hack to start with, try Darkholme Hospital v2.0, it's a great quick play :^_^:

personitis

All of FullOfFail's suggestions are very good in addition to Jordan has said. I'd also recommend Airy, Life, Oxide, and Startdust all as entry level hacks.

If you're a bit more adventurous, there's this gem. :colonrightv:

Digital_Mantra

Z-Factor, Limit, Stardust and Darkholme Hospital for starters.
I think Z-Factor is the best out there yet. Z-Factor v1.1...

Edit: Mst corrected me, I meant just V.1

MetroidMst

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on May 10, 2014, 11:50:18 PM
I think Z-Factor is the best out there yet. Z-Factor v1.1...
Z-Factor 1.0 is best.

Bigmac9137

I started legacy, and I'm loving it so far. I'll get through this and start another, thanks all. I will keep playing SM: Impossible too.

Quietus

If you can beat impossible, then you can beat any hack.  It was specifically designed to force players to utilise every extreme trick possible for completion.

I'll also add my recommendations for Stardust, Life, and Z-Factor.

DonnyDonovan

I've always liked Dependence as an entry-difficulty hack as well.

Bigmac9137

Just beat Legacy, first hack victory.

8hrs with 91%.

Took a while but thought it was extremely true to the original. Liked some of the item placements and layout and route wasn't bad at all. Well Done! On to the next!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Lunaria

If you want a hack that is not too difficult, but around the same size as super metroid, I'd recommend Ice Metal 1. [Thread] [Download v1.4]

Quietus

From what I remember about Ice Metal, it's about as open as you can get, which isn't what Bigmac was after.  Still, it's a good hack, and is worth a try.

Bigmac9137

Currently 6 hours into ZFactor and am calling it maybe. There are rarely hints to passages and the progression, atleast that I'm on, is frustrating, non sensical. It's a well done hack in terms of room design and aesthetics, but it's too open ended for me

Lunaria

Quote from: Quietus on May 14, 2014, 06:45:40 AM
From what I remember about Ice Metal, it's about as open as you can get, which isn't what Bigmac was after.  Still, it's a good hack, and is worth a try.
You make a good point, I missed that when I read OP the first time. Still though, I think the problem with more open stuff for people mostly comes with the frustration of not knowing where to go and every route leads to absolutely nothing. While IM is very open, exploration is often also very rewarding.

Bigmac9137

Quote from: Crys on May 20, 2014, 09:47:52 AM
Quote from: Quietus on May 14, 2014, 06:45:40 AM
You make a good point, I missed that when I read OP the first time. Still though, I think the problem with more open stuff for people mostly comes with the frustration of not knowing where to go and every route leads to absolutely nothing. While IM is very open, exploration is often also very rewarding.

Would you recommend ice metal over Z Factor?

Also, any real good half hacks?

Quietus

Quote from: Bigmac9137 on May 20, 2014, 10:15:50 AMWould you recommend ice metal over Z Factor?
Of course, it's Crys's hack. :heheh:
Quote from: Bigmac9137 on May 20, 2014, 10:15:50 AMAlso, any real good half hacks?
Gravy, Puddin' and Soup are all good, but are quite trick oriented.  I can recommend Limit.  It was designed to be quite tough, but it's nothing like Impossible, and I recall you saying that you got a reasonable amount through that, so you should be fine.  Also, Darkholme Hospital.

DonnyDonovan

Limit is tough but very playable except for (1) the plasma beam, which is almost impossible to acquire (I've never done it without cheating), and (2) Ridley, who, without the aforementioned Plasma beam, is extremely hard to beat.   Limit is a favorite of mine. 

GoldenTorizo

You guys forgot to mention Project Base. I recommend this hack.

Quietus

It's a great hack, but it's not finished, so I suspect that's why nobody's mentioned it here. :^_^:

personitis

Or we all took it for granted since the newest release was recent. :nod:

Bigmac9137

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on May 20, 2014, 07:12:35 PM
Limit is tough but very playable except for (1) the plasma beam, which is almost impossible to acquire (I've never done it without cheating), and (2) Ridley, who, without the aforementioned Plasma beam, is extremely hard to beat.   Limit is a favorite of mine.

I just put in hours into this game, LOVED it, and just got past Draygon and have had it. Cant get the Plasma Beam, and No idea how to shinespark or anything to get the gravity suit and cant go anywhere else! Im done with it, this part is frustrating me too much right now...