News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Animation References

Started by Hermi1988, April 26, 2014, 08:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hermi1988

Hello Folks!

I am working on a 2.5D Super Metroid (Unreal Engine 4) and I need some help to make it as true to the source as possible.

So far I have modeled and rigged Samus in her classic Power Suit (I will show in time!) and I am ready to tackle the basic animations.

My plan is to repose every single Sprite of the Animations and stick them together (or maybe interpolate between them in engine).

So far so good.

The only problem so far is, that I need help with the timing.

Are there somewhere gifs for all the Animations ? (I did found a few, but I need the whole package basically).

Alternatively, is there some sort of sandbox hack of the game, with just a plane level, where I could walk around, and do all the Stuff Samus does in SM  and just record that by myself for timing reference?

Or in general, how would you tackle this?

Best Regards

Chris

Quietus

You could just open the ROM in SMILE, and remove all of the stuff in the middle of the room.  It'd take only a minute or so, and would leave you with an empty room that's more than big enough to perform all of her moves in.  The just save it, and open it in the emulator of your choice.

Hermi1988

I am a total newb in regards of rom hacking, I dont even know what that tool is, thats why I decided to ask. Guess I have to read myself into the topic.

Can I make it so, that Samus has all abilities unlocked?

Kitsune_Phoenix

Look around in the Misc. Hacks/Fangames subforum, there are bound to be plenty of screenshots and videos showing what SMILE (Super Metroid Integrated Level Editor) is. It is one of the first things ROM hackers of SM learn how to use these days.

As for unlocking abilities at the start, just place the items in the same room you start in.

Hermi1988

Okay then. Will dig into this.

Thank you very much!

Quote58

Or just use the quickmet options to give you all the items

Quietus

To hopefully save you some time:

Download SMILE.
Google "Super Metroid (JU) [!]", and download a ROM.
Open SMILE, and select the ROM to open it.
Click the obvious drop-down, and select the first room, which is the landing site.
Click File > Preferences > Run Settings > Test Room Options.
Type numbers into the boxes at the top.  Hovering will tell you the in-game maximums.
Tick every box at the bottom, except Spazer.
Click Save.
Click File > Preferences > Run Settings > Emulator, and select your emulator.
Press 'E' in the open space somewhere in your room.  This will start your ROM in test mode, with Samus's feet placed wherever your cursor was when you pressed 'E'.

Recording, slowdown, and screenshot options will all be done in the emulator as normal.

Good luck! :^_^:

Hermi1988

Thanks!

That should help indeed quite a bit.

I have to tweak the rig a bit first, since I spotted a few annoyances while doing the initial pose, but I tackle this tomorrow !

Why especially the JU version?

Quietus

It's what's used for nearly all hacks.  Using a different one can cause problems with compatibility, and the (E) one just won't work.

Hermi1988

Okay I got it all working now. Could basically start recording.

Why no Spazer though?

Zero One

If you have every beam checked in the Test Room Options, then you start off with both Plasma and Spazer equipped. Pressing fire will likely crash the game, since they're not meant to be mixed.

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

Quietus

His incomplete version was, with 0.992 being the latest.  He said he'd never give up, so keep your fingers crossed. :^_^:

Hermi1988

Are you guys interested in seeing an attempted remake (prototype) or is this the wrong forum for such things? I am yet to decide where to try building up a "fan base"

Retroo

I want!  :^_^: Post it in the fan games topic.

Hermi1988

Zero One

As someone who loves both UE4 and Metroid and wants to create his own Metroid engine in UE4, if you don't produce anything, I'm going to hunt you down. Just, y'know, fair warning.

Hermi1988

I don´t consider that a warning. More a motivation, y´know

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

Hermi1988

Its a mixture of Other M, SM and different drawings I found.

That is all part of the experimenting process..

I will see, how it turns out, once I have a proper run cycle, proper scale and dimension; camera difference in Engine and proper Materials.

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

Hermi1988

I probably will redo the whole model again, since I need to make the two other suit designs anyway (at least one more, the third one is just a different color).

But I found so much interest in rigging, that I stopped caring for the model for now. Thats the reason, why I dont even laid out the UVs or making detailed sculpts for the normal maps.

I will focus on animating and prototyping now, since I want to have something playable first, so I can get more people on board.

Speaking of which: @Zero One, why not consider partnering up at some point, instead of "warning" me? :P

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

Hermi1988

I will consider this, when I get back to modeling, designing Samus.

Smiley