News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Tourian Teleportation

Started by Burktross, March 14, 2013, 04:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burktross

Hi!  Long time no see MC.  Anyways, I started making a hack for fun, where you immediately enter tourian as you get the morph ball.  Everything's fine when you get down the elevator.  But if you jump up a certain elevation compared to the elevator, it brings you back to A) Title Screen or B) Place where I did test room initially.

Help would be appreciated.

snarfblam

Does the problem only occur while you use the "Test Room" feature? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much. "Test Room" is really only meant for quick testing to check things like things like jump height and enemy placement. It works by doing a half-assed hack of the game's initialization code. There will be some occasional oddities such as incorrect scrolling after passing through a doorway. The odds of things getting buggy go way up if you go from one area to another, especially if Tourian is involved.

Burktross

Quote from: snarfblam on March 14, 2013, 05:25:20 PM
Does the problem only occur while you use the "Test Room" feature? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much. "Test Room" is really only meant for quick testing to check things like things like jump height and enemy placement. It works by doing a half-assed hack of the game's initialization code. There will be some occasional oddities such as incorrect scrolling after passing through a doorway. The odds of things getting buggy go way up if you go from one area to another, especially if Tourian is involved.

No, happens all the time.

snarfblam

Well then.... never run into that before. Are you doing anything unusual with the elevator, or in Tourian? Are you sure the connecting screen (elevator shaft) has a valid screen number for both levels? (Suppose you create a new elevator shaft screen in Brinstar, and it's screen number $20, and Tourian doesn't have a screen $20 at all, that can cause problems.)

If you aren't doing anything out of the ordinary, the best I can do is offer to check it out with a debugger if you want to post an IPS or PM it to me.