News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] SMNonCompetition

Started by Smiley, February 28, 2014, 12:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smiley

A version of SMCompetition that is playable by ordinary human beings. Enjoy or whatever.

[spoiler=Mandatory screenshot][/spoiler]

MetroidMst

Go play this now people. It is "basically" the same as SMCompetition, but really, really good. And the bonus for finding all the items is also really nice. Definitely try it out.

[spoiler=Review of the Ages]Much good
Very SMILEuser
Many ASM
Wow[/spoiler]

ianfrombristol

Quote from: SMILEuser96 on February 28, 2014, 12:04:23 PM
A version of SMCompetition that is playable by ordinary human beings. Enjoy or whatever.

[spoiler=Mandatory screenshot][/spoiler]

I'm clearly not an ordinary human being as I'm getting pwned by Spore Spawn  :nowai:

Mon732

Try hunting around for more items. I found Spore Spawn difficult until I looked around and found a particular item.

FPzero

Well I beat it twice.  The second time I managed to find a lot of the extra items, making the ending stuff a lot easier.  Still don't have 100% nor can i figure out how to open the door at the end.

Fun little hack overall.

Derakon

Apologies for being dense, but how the heck do I get out of the speed booster room? I can't figure out how to bypass the crumble block wall. I'm guessing it has something to do with the "open"-looking tiles in the walls, but they all seem to be impermeable. I've noticed that if I run up to the crumble wall from the left and shoot straight down, I can hear what sounds like a block being destroyed...

EDIT: went and got the morphball first, that simplified figuring things out. Onwards!

EDIT 2: aaaand done. Okay, this was smaller than I expected for some reason. Interesting changes though. Never did find powerbombs, but oh well.

DonnyDonovan

Well that was...short and weird.  I didn't have very much stuff at all.  There were power bomb blocks but I never found PBs, an energy tank near the grapple beam I never got, a missile container in the main room I never figured out how to get, and at least two grey doors I saw that never came open.  I guess that was a fun enough way to spend 20 minutes, but yeah.  Weird is the best word. 

Edit:  I went back and replayed it and did find more items, including one that indeed made the endgame much easier to manage.  Still only finished with 59% and can't find the powerbombs.   Also can't manage to get up into the middle area of the grapple course as I suck at grapple stuff. 

ianfrombristol

Weird indeed.  Finished it with the help of MetroidMst/Shyguy's youtube video (I was missing something so obvious I'm not even going to confess to it  :blush:).  I then opened up the ROM in SMILE and found where the Power bombs were hidden and that allowed me to find some more items on a second play through, all of which were peripheral to completing the game  :O_o: 

Still, I enjoyed playing it and many thanks to the creator of this hack 

JAM

It was a long time ago when I played the other's hack. Got a lot of pleasure.

Finished with 83% and 53:18. Without help of SMILE and / or someone / something else.

Although, yeah. I've got frustration (like "Let me out!!!!111") in the Speed Booster room too.

Really weird. Some thing I really liked:

• SUDDENLY raining and slowly darkening (in another room)
  • Custom music
  • Some weird challenges (grapple and bomb ones, at least)
  • Crumble layout after clearing the room

Some items are very cleverly hidden:
[spoiler]To get one of them, I had to perform Super Jump, use the Grapple, lay a Power Bomb when falling and perform a Super Jump one more time[/spoiler]

What I didn't liked:

• So Little... Rooms
  • Nasty spores almost always gives you Missiles when you need Energy (original game "bug", but annoying)
  • No map, but icons
  • Pause menu untouched

Secred W-eapon helps a lot. That's true. And I even combined it with Power Bombs to get more power. And looks like I've found a good bug (not game breaking). Will use it a lot next time. And I even have got a Super Missile =)

JAM

I've beat it once more.

Now I was extremely fast.

And super productive.

Quote from: MetroidMst on February 28, 2014, 02:15:13 PM
And the bonus for finding all the items is also really nice.
Where is my fat reward and ticket home?

Grimlock

Quote from: JAM on September 08, 2014, 11:32:12 PM

Well clearly you must have cheated, 152%  :lol:

(Must be a SM thing)  :wink:

Smiley

Now let me guess, you found a way to reset the game with x-ray or something?

Quietus

Or it could be linked to the GT code.  I seem to recall JAM dabbling with it before.

JAM

Quote from: SMILEuser96 on September 09, 2014, 09:43:06 AM
Now let me guess, you found a way to reset the game with x-ray or something?
Or something :lol:

Quote from: Grimlock on September 09, 2014, 09:11:48 AM
Quote from: JAM on September 08, 2014, 11:32:12 PM

Well clearly you must have cheated, 152%  :lol:

(Must be a SM thing)  :wink:
I didn't. I was using bug abusing. =) It's not resetting with X-Ray or GT code. Although, I'll try the GT code in next run =)

This is how I did:
0. Start the game.
1. Don't save.
2. Go to Grapple Room.
3. Collect the Energy Tank.
4. Die, Samus, DIE!
5. Select "YES" on continue screen.
6. You'll start from the beginning, having 99 Energy and 199 Max Energy. Just because Max Energy is not cleared. :lol: The time is not too (AFAIK).
7. Repeat BDSM in steps 1..6 10 times.
8. During 12th cycle, don't die, exit the room and save.
9. You'll have 1299 Max Energy.

And it's a lot easier to win in this fight, for example.

A. Collect the hidden Energy Tank to get the same max health as in vanilla (1499).

And sometimes... [spoiler=I got]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: MetroidMst on February 28, 2014, 02:15:13 PM
[spoiler=Review of the Ages]Much good
Very SMILEuser
Many ASM
Wow[/spoiler]

Steel Sparkle

It was fantastic! I love the custom music you used in the last section of the game! I got 101%. BTW what is behind that Steel door at the end of the escape sequence?