News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Resource database on the main site

Started by Lunaria, February 23, 2014, 08:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunaria

The main site is kind of in a dire need of a redesign/reorganisation if you ask me.
While we have quite a few hacks, resources, as well as a ton of information; It's all organised in such a horrible way it's a pain to manage it all. I normally don't like to mention SMW Central since it's forum and community is a piece of shit IMO. However, if they do one thing right it's their main site and how you access content. Our best and most organised page is the one for hex tweaks, but even that one have issues, a big one being that the information is stored in such a manner that you need to scroll more then what should be needed to get through the whole page. And for crap sake, we don't even have a dedicated graphics section!

The patch section is pretty much filled with misc material that did not go anywhere else, as such unless you know what you want/to look for you're not going to find squat. And let's not forget that the read-me files are compiled as one per author as per standard rather than one per entry, making it even further complicated to grasp what something is. They are also per default sorted by author rather than content type, same also applies to the documents section.

As it stands, metconst is a database, yes, but it's hardly one that is efficient at what it does. :/

Quietus

If I may make a suggestion: Why don't you offer suggestions or recommendations?  Creating a topic solely to say that the entire site is rubbish, and that all of its content is unorganised and impossible to find doesn't seem very productive.  It just comes across as you ranting. :neutral:

Zhs2

I mostly hired people to hopefully fix this issue since I didn't care and have zero motivation, much less the confidence to muck with Grime's layouts. We are a free service after all, however.

FullOfFail

I could be wrong, but I think Vismund is working with Grime to figure out something a little more appropriate. I've always liked the simplicity of the site, but I think so much content has been added at this point that it's not as functional. It's a pretty monumental task though, probably will take quite some time to re-organize all of it. I'm glad you made this thread though, getting the communities input and suggestions will prove invaluable.

snarfblam

Vismund Cygnus

Hi, I'm Vismund and I'm on the Site Management team now.
As Zeke said, a redesign of the site is on the way. First priority is to reorganise the hacks page and make the layout a f***load neater.
Quote from: FullOfFail on February 23, 2014, 09:27:34 PM
I could be wrong, but I think Vismund is working with Grime to figure out something a little more appropriate. I've always liked the simplicity of the site, but I think so much content has been added at this point that it's not as functional. It's a pretty monumental task though, probably will take quite some time to re-organize all of it. I'm glad you made this thread though, getting the communities input and suggestions will prove invaluable.
This is indeed happening. I've been busy with the (excellent) contest hack I made, but now that's out of the way redesigning, reorganising and making everything more accessible is the first priority. The big plan is to make things more functional while keeping the layout simple. I like the idea of making a dedicated page for GFX, that hadn't crossed my mind. But yeah, hacks page is being redone first because it sucks.  :colonrightv:

EDIT: Also, I guess this thread could be a good place for any suggestions you might have for the site, because I was going to make a thread about that anyway and this would mean less clutter (alternatively someone can split the topic). Anything you'd like to see added or think would be a good feature, either post it here or PM me. Either way works, and if you're being serious it'll probably be taken into consideration.

Quietus

It would be nice to have bookmarks added to pages, so that it's possible to link to certain sections or parts of pages, rather than just linking to the whole page, and somebody having to search through.

Lunaria

Quote from: Quietus on February 23, 2014, 08:45:12 PM
If I may make a suggestion: Why don't you offer suggestions or recommendations?  Creating a topic solely to say that the entire site is rubbish, and that all of its content is unorganised and impossible to find doesn't seem very productive.  It just comes across as you ranting. :neutral:
What the hell are you talking about? My post provides several examples on better ways to do it, not only did I draw a parallel to SMW central (and linked it) as it provides a good example on how to do things, I also pointed out things that I consider need fixing one way or another. If all you can take out of my post is me saying everything is shit then I honestly don't know what to say. You're right about one thing though, it is partly rant, but that's to be expected from me. :/

@Vismund: Nice to hear something is in the works at least; Try and keep the community updated on how it goes and such, that way users can provide input too!