News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid super zéro mission on SD cartridge

Started by Nuage, November 14, 2014, 07:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuage

Hello! 

I'm a big Metroid fan and wanted more than the regular game, so I've bought a Super ufo pro 8 cartridge to play some hacks on my snes.

Problem is I can't get some hack to work :cry:
I've done it this way :
-got an unheadered rom of Super Metroid
-verified it's really unheadered with smile
-got the patch of Metroid super zero mission
-patched the rom with lunar

But when I try to load it on my snes via the SD cartridge, I have an error message "file type error". The rom don't even star to load.

I've tried for hours to make it works, tried to add an header, to check and fix the checksum, with a few Super Metroid rom, even one I dumped myself.
I'm not good with these things, but I tried and failed to understand what is the problem.

Anyone can help me?

Some hack work, like redesign, Justin Bailey.

Thanks a lot.

Parabox

Does Super Metroid run normally? Do you know whether the cart expects .sfc, .smc or different?

Nuage

Yep Super Metroid run perfectly, even when I use some tricky feature of the super ufo pro 8 like the save States, it doesn't crash.

The cart expect SMC, Bin, Rom and some other fancy type I've never met.
Tried with SMC as it's the most common type I guess.

Metaquarius

Does your patched rom even load on emulators ?
Note that most patches are made for NTSC (JU) roms and may not be compatible with PAL (European) roms.

Nuage

Yes the rom works fine on emulator.

My super Nintendo accept both Pal and ntsc cart.
I used Super Metroid JU to patch zero mission.
The rom without patch works fine.

Although I can read that my patched rom has a bad checksum when I load it on snes9x, my original rom is OK. Is that a problem?

I've failed to get a good checksum with the patched rom'

I'm totally lost at the moment  :cry:

M1CR0H4CK3R

When you run the unheadered, unpatched Super Metroid ROM in an emulator, is the CRC32 D63ED5F8? If not, you don't have the right (JU) version. The filename should usually be "Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc" (without quotes). [!] means that it is a verified good dump. There are various b and f versions as well, such as Super Metroid (JU) [!][b1].smc.

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: Metaquarius on November 15, 2014, 03:54:55 PM
Try to expand your ROM up to 4 Mb.
Now that's a valid point. You could also add 0x88000 FF bytes to the end of the file in HxD. Just use the 'Insert Bytes' option under the Edit menu.

Nuage

Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on November 15, 2014, 03:52:43 PM
When you run the unheadered, unpatched Super Metroid ROM in an emulator, is the CRC32 D63ED5F8? If not, you don't have the right (JU) version. The filename should usually be "Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc" (without quotes). [!] means that it is a verified good dump. There are various b and f versions as well, such as Super Metroid (JU) [!][b1].smc.

I have checked, the rom is the good one.

As for the expand of the rom I'm gonna try this evening,  thanks for the tips!

M1CR0H4CK3R

Daltone

I use a snes powerpak and some hacks have issues getting them to work.

Usually if the hack is expanded then you need to add a header to it, you can hex it in if the hack is 'locked' too.

Nuage

Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on November 18, 2014, 11:04:36 AM
Nuage, try patching this with this and see if it works.

Sorry for the late answer, I was busy these last days.

It works!  Thank you so much, the game looks amazing.
Can you explain me what you did?

I'm sure my rom was a good one, the patch too.

I want to be able to do it by myself, there is some hacks interesting me.

M1CR0H4CK3R

I took my working MSZM ROM and expanded it to 4 MB, then created a new save (SRAM, saved/saveable RAM, or .srm). I then used Lunar IPS to create the .ips by selecting the .srm first, then selecting the ROM. You're welcome, and I'm glad it works for you.

Vismund Cygnus

I use an Everdrive cart myself, however being in upside-downia I had to disable the lockout chip on my good old PAL SNES. Strangely enough some hacks worked prior to that, and I can't for the life of me work out why.