News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud20

Awesome ! Idk anything about M1, did you made the tileset ?

Grimlock

Yea, I started working on it last weekend, got it polished up over last week.  I can't take credit for the bubble doors, those are DemickXII's from his hack "Roid'z".  I'll probably rework the door "tube" graphic but his bubbles are pretty good.  Everything else was created last week in Tile Layer Pro.  :grin:

All of my previous entries were custom made graphics also.  :cool:

Cloud20

TheAnonymousUser

[spoiler]

So...thought I'd try jefe's sloped brinstar...

I might have gone a bit overkill with the pipes...that's just me.
BGs aren't my strong point either...everyone starts somewhere, though.[/spoiler]

Jiffy

Quote from: TheAnonymousUser on September 06, 2014, 02:15:26 PM
[spoiler]

So...thought I'd try jefe's sloped brinstar...

I might have gone a bit overkill with the pipes...that's just me.
BGs aren't my strong point either...everyone starts somewhere, though.[/spoiler]

That actually looks really... nice. Looks quite like the original in a way, too.

I was going to enter RotW this week, but I'm gonna take a rest for the first time in ages. Since my Brinstar Masterpiece isn't yet ...finished.

Quietus

Those Brinstar slopes work better when they blend straight into their parent tiles.  You seem to have 90% of them joining to those tiles with the thin, green top, and it looks a little odd.  I should probably release all the slopes that I made a while back. :razz:

Hawntah

Quote from: Grimlock on September 06, 2014, 09:59:49 AM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

For those who never played the original Metroid (NEStroid) Here's what this room used to look like:

[spoiler][/spoiler]
I see no difference.

Grimlock

Quote from: Hawntah on September 06, 2014, 07:39:39 PM
Quote from: Grimlock on September 06, 2014, 09:59:49 AM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

For those who never played the original Metroid (NEStroid) Here's what this room used to look like:

[spoiler][/spoiler]
I see no difference.

:lol:  :eyeroll:

TobiMikami

QuoteI was going to enter RotW this week, but I'm gonna take a rest for the first time in ages. Since my Brinstar Masterpiece isn't yet ...finished.
I second this, I don't want to rush my new tileset. Plus I can probably finally make an actual topic for my hack maybe After only like 8 months

Grimlock

Is tile creation for SM difficult?  I use Tile Layer Pro for my M1 editing.  Generally I don't start new graphics until I start editing the screens.  I'm guessing SM probably has a lot more tiles to edit.

Jiffy

I actually feel like coughing something up this week.

Rooms don't need to be complex... Just... simple.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Grimlock

That's pretty nice Jefe, the colors compliment each other well.  I don't know if the sky is custom or stock but it gives the room a nice look coupled with the green.  The cliff side looks really good too with the darker area merging out of the lighter area.

TobiMikami

Quote from: Grimlock on September 07, 2014, 02:33:35 PM
Is tile creation for SM difficult?  I use Tile Layer Pro for my M1 editing.  Generally I don't start new graphics until I start editing the screens.  I'm guessing SM probably has a lot more tiles to edit.
If you can use TLP, not really. What makes it more complex is the difference between graphics, SNES is a 16 bit system, therefore you can use twice as many colors then Metroid being an NES game which is coded in 8 bit. It allows for better creativity, you can make much more complex or elaborated stuff in SM because of the extra colors, I'm not familiar with M1 in TLP, but SM also has multiple graphics sets 0-7, even though the first 4 are for CRE (The doors and stuff), there's still 3 which can each use that 16 color scheme, however, a tile has to be done completely in one set. It's not that difficult if you already do it with one game, you just have to be able to add more detail without making it look too cell shaded or blocky.

Grimlock

Metroid 1 graphics are edited in 8x8 tiles, typically grouped into 16x16 blocks when used in game.  Is that pretty much what SNES works with plus additional colors or do you work with 16x16 tiles grouped into 32x32 blocks?

TobiMikami

The tiles in SM are the same 8x8 that convert to 16x16 tiles in editor, the only difference is the colors.

X-tradyte

I'm not to late am I?

[spoiler=Behold, an icy room of..horridness?][/spoiler]

Definitely not my best work, but i think it'll do.

Quietus

Quote from: Grimlock on September 07, 2014, 09:44:29 PMMetroid 1 graphics are edited in 8x8 tiles, typically grouped into 16x16 blocks when used in game.  Is that pretty much what SNES works with
Yes, but it also allows for flipping of those 8x8 tiles, so you can cheat a little, and reuse one 8x8 tile with various flips to create a number of tiles.  A good example would be a square block, where you'd only have to use one 8x8 tile, then flip it to get the other three corners, which saves you space in the actual tile table that it pulls the 8x8 tiles from. :^_^:

Grimlock

I noticed a lot of the tiles where mirrored in the rooms, you confirmed my suspicion.  Has anyone made a non planetary/natural theme tile set yet?  By that I mean something like the space lab you start in or some kind of industrial location?  It seems like there is a lot of possibility to deviate from the original.

Vismund Cygnus

The only person I can consider voting for this week is Grimlock. All the other rooms were pretty average in my opinion. I'll update this when I can be bothered with real criticism.

Grimlock

Quote from: Alisa Orlova on September 09, 2014, 04:50:25 AM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

LOL, I love how you opted not to rate the last three yet you still slipped in a -5 for Gohan.  :lol:

Quietus

Quote from: GrimlockHas anyone made a non planetary/natural theme tile set yet?  By that I mean something like the space lab you start in or some kind of industrial location?  It seems like there is a lot of possibility to deviate from the original.
There have been a few, yes.  I specifically remember Black Falcom posting some rooms that have used some custom tech.

Oh, and it's Jefe for me this week.  Just in case you're not aware, Jefe, that inverted ramp over the flat on the right-hand ledge is a permastuck for any player rolling in.

Grimlock

That's pretty nice, did he ever get to a final release of his hack?

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: Grimlock on September 09, 2014, 08:47:11 AM
LOL, I love how you opted not to rate the last three yet you still slipped in a -5 for Gohan.  :lol:
He should know, i'm on one's guard!  :stern:
But, yeah, actually i did it as a joke because I understand that he was afraid to miss the start of the contest and he just rushed. He did not know that Sir.Vismund live on another planet and he have a three days off in every week. Sir.Vismund is OK, so... no need to rush.  :heheh:

[Spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEu-m3RrK_k[/Spoiler]