News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimlock

Retro, I can see you are trying to do something different which in itself involves taking a risk.  Willingness to take a risk is what sets the great apart from the good.  Taking a risk doesn't always mean the outcome will be great, sometimes you'll get feedback that suggests the opposite.  I don't know if your style is to take creative risks but if so I encourage you to continue this trend.  Now as to my opinion of the current state of the trees you built I would say continue to evolve the design, I think you can push it further, add some more randomness to the design.  Like I've told other artists in the past no matter how good or satisfied you think a particular work is there is always a way to "evolve" it further if you desire to and that applies to anyone and everyone including myself.

TobiMikami

After the blood, sweat, and tears of endless work from start to finish on this since Monday, I proudly present...this one slightly above average mediocre room
[spoiler][/spoiler] Now edited to fix the one tiny annoying tiling error

Hawntah

Quote from: TobiMikami on August 31, 2014, 01:58:17 AM
After the blood, sweat, and tears of endless work from start to finish on this since Monday, I proudly present...this one slightly above average mediocre room
[spoiler][/spoiler] Now edited to fix the one tiny annoying tiling error
Just one?
[spoiler=Probably missed a few but you get the point...][/spoiler]

TobiMikami

Those aren't really errors just imperfections.

Grimlock

I think it would be beneficial if everyone posted a little more info on their rooms, a lot of us are only experienced with hacking one particular game.  For example I can't really tell if anyone is using custom tiles or palettes in SM for the most part, (it's been so long since I played SM I didn't even realise MSTs desert and Palm tree tiles were custom last week).

Just these four would probably do it.

Game: what game this room belongs to
Custom Tiles: yes/no, ripped from another game, you made them
Custom Palette: yes/no
Other: anything relevant

Just a thought......

Jordan5

Quote from: TobiMikami on August 31, 2014, 01:58:17 AM

Does this room have no slopes at all?

TobiMikami

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on January 18, 2010, 12:59:07 AM
Submitting rooms with BTS and scrollscreens showing is discouraged.
And MST's room last week wasn't entirely custom, I'm pretty sure a lot of the rocks were recolored Maridia tiles, but the idea is pretty valid for giving proper insight.

Cloud20

Quote from: Grimlock on August 31, 2014, 02:09:02 PM
What's BTS?

BTS is a Smile element to build a behavior for your level design block (slopes, bomb blocks etc...)  :^_^: my explaination sucks

In Rotw it is highly recommanded to disable it from the picture, because green slopes are not really appealing, same for scroll blocks.

Quietus

Hehe, I was going to say 'check my signature', but Quote got there first. :^_^:

TobiMikami

The BTS is pretty much all the green outlines you see in the vanilla game, it makes it so you can run/walk smoothly over slopes of varying degrees, however, it's easy for beginners to botch it, not their fault, just if you're not educated properly on how it works you aren't gonna get the desired effects. But like Cloud already said, it can kind of fuck up the image of what you're trying to show off in ROTW, plus we came to see what kind of a room someone could build, not a bunch of annoying gridlines and green shapes around such.

Quietus

To be clear, since Grimlock doesn't really dabble with Super, most tiles used when building rooms don't have any special property (air, spikes, treadmill, etc.), and are just solid blocks.  Using just those would make rooms very blocky, and would not allow much freedom of movement.  Dropping a shaped BTS block onto a tile changes its property to various things - most commonly slopes. :^_^:

MetroidMst

BTS is also used for a lot of other things, since it allows for a bunch of different options. Want to trigger something in your hack somewhere? Make your code trigger once a specific type of block with the proper BTS value and you're set! It has a lot of really rad functions you can use it for.

Quietus

And yet nobody has created one that turns every tile to bubbles when touched. :cry:

:wink:

TobiMikami

MST makes a good point, most people (Including myself) tend to forget those values are also a number, certain IPS patches use those to do things, for example, a spider ball patch would make the spider ball effect work on any tiles with a setting (Air, Solid Block, etc) with a BTS number for example 04, or for an acid damage block one would set it with say Air, Fool, X-Ray of BTS number 10 and only blocks with that setting would have that effect, I guess what I'm saying is the BTS number makes it so every tile marked solid block for example wouldn't have that effect.

Grimlock

BTS sounds like it gives you a lot of design freedom.  In M1 you have specific tiles for solid, air, breakable, and doors.  If you want to use a certain tile for multiple uses you have to duplicate the graphics for each tile type. 

Quietus

FullofFail: Assuming that one of the green pipes (likely the one in the shaft) leads to that area on the right, you should add some tile variants within the black somewhere, as the player may have no visual indication that they're still moving and not stuck or whatever.

Qactis

I really like Gohan's room, but I think it's gonna take a miracle for you boys to beat FoF. That room is just way too good

Vismund Cygnus

5 rooms?!
5 rooms?!
THAT'S EVEN LESS THAN LAST WEEK, WORMS.
[spoiler=I'll finish it in a Jiffy]Far from your best work, I know you said you ripped the tiles yourself, but honestly I can't tell this from any of the other ZM/Fusion/whatever rocky tilesets that are floating around the place. So yeah, this just looks bland and uninteresting, especially as it's just an empty 1*1 room.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Punch Sonic]The thing I love about this room is that you've said "fuck it' and instead of following conventions, you've gone ahead and experimented and done what you wanted to. Sure, it's not perfect, there's quite a lot of room for improvement, but hey, this is a good step in a learning experience.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=King Kamehameha VI]Not much to say, I don't dig the Fusion style, and it's basically just a little corridor with a groovy background.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Tobias the Defias Bandit]The only thing I dislike about this is that it has no background, and it sorely needs it. Aside from that, it's pretty good, and those "tiling errors" on the slopes, honestly they don't look like errors to me, they're fine. I don't even notice whatever the hell was being pointed out in the picture that whoever it was was complaining about them.
From a gameplay perspective, I don't understand what the point of the grapple blocks is, given that it looks like you can jump right through there (of course, there's probably lava or something terrifying at the bottom).[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Failure Imminent]I don't really have anything to say because you know what you're doing. This is a well done vanilla room that looks almost like it could be ripped from the original game. The problem with that being that it's not really interesting in any sense. But a well-made room is a well-made room, so take that for what it is.[/spoiler]
Given that none of the rooms from this week really grabbed my attention, my vote's gotta be for retroknuckles for going out on a whim and doing something interesting.

Quietus

FollofFail for me this week.  It's a well built vanilla room.  I made my suggestion during submissions, which was to give the player some graphical indication in the blackness for players travelling to / from the section on the right-hand side (through the pipe).

FullOfFail

Quote from: Quietus on September 02, 2014, 05:37:36 AM
I made my suggestion during submissions, which was to give the player some graphical indication in the blackness for players traveling to / from the section on the right-hand side (through the pipe).

I'll see if I can implement that, but Green Brinstar is just kinda bad about offering slopes, which it'd require. I did draw some initially, but they were kinda meh and the blockish look grew on me anyway. It's really not as bad as it appears here ingame, my morphball rolls at a faster pace than Vanilla, and you get through it pretty quick. I may do a few zigzag accents in select places, though.

Hawntah

[spoiler=Jefe962]Image is pixelated. 0/10[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Retroknuckles]Why is there half a dead guy in a tree? Twice? 0/10[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Gohan]Ew, you left in the red outlines around the tiles. 0/10[/spoiler]
[spoiler=TobiMikami]Horrible tiling errors, would not play. 0/10[/spoiler]
[spoiler=FullofFail]Best room ever. The tiles, the palettes, everything is so custom! Also, there are absolutely no instances of one tile being used 20 effing times in a row..[spoiler]..oh wait. 0/10[/spoiler][/spoiler]

With that aside: I'd like to point out that what I say is opinion, not scientific fact. Even if it differs from your thoughts, I probably won't change my mind about what I say.