News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mon732

Jefe, make sure to put the brightness back to normal before taking the screenshot. It makes the room a little hard to see otherwise.

Jiffy

Quote from: Mon732 on December 07, 2014, 07:52:36 AM
Jefe, make sure to put the brightness back to normal before taking the screenshot. It makes the room a little hard to see otherwise.

I've changed it already. Vismund told me.  :yay:

DSO

Quietus

Nothing really grabbed me this week, but I'm going to go with DSO for some nice mixes of tiles along with some nice palettes. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

hard to disagree with what Quietus has to say. Voted for DSO too.  :^_^:

Cpt.Glitch

Retroo

Cloud20

I love retro's room, it haves something really organic. However maybe the background could use some little more variation.

Jiffy

Kolpruz is Superior! Go, Arrival!
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

I'm not too keen on that room, Jefe.  The tileset is quite repetitive, and the perfectly straight lines look at odds with the supposedly natural, rocky terrain. :neutral:

Quote58

Retro:
This room is giving me a lot of Eris vibes, and I actually really dig it. It feels like you're in a living world, and that filler, although super simplistic is really entrancing. The chozo statue stands out quite a bit, and not in a good way, but the red brinstar tiles obviously fit great with the plants. I also think the background goes perfectly with the new foreground filler tiles. The darker red makes it feel like the foreground is all around you, not just platforms in front of a background.

Jefe:
This room looks okay at first glance, but after looking closer I can see that you tried to mix two tilesets that really don't mix unless you significantly alter both. Since you clearly haven't even tried to change the tile gfx at all, it just looks choppy and quickly thrown together. You consistently put tiles next to each other that obviously do not blend into each other and look really bad as a result. This is furthered by the filler tiles, which are a much brighter and very different art style than the rocks it comes after, making them stand out awkwardly. Especially since the main filler is just a dark blue, which makes the rocks look weird in the middle of. And of course, having not removed the dark red line along the fusion tiles, they look very separate from the new tiles, which don't have the red line.
Honestly, this is a disappointing room, as it looks like it was thrown together with no regard for consistency or detail.
Although the background also doesn't fit with the tileset (especially the bubbles), I will say that for some reason it kinda works for the room imo.

Quietus

That's pretty nice, SlyPork, though the parts where the green straights mix with the blue tiles look pretty poor.

Quietus

Retro for me this week.  It makes me feel like I'm in the belly of some giant beast. :oh:

Retroo

jefe: as someone said i think it was Quietus since its a rocky tileset it looks weird with straight lines.

slypork: i really like this room interesting and good use of tiles.

Lunaria

All in this batch look pretty shit to me. :I

Hawntah

Quote from: Crys on December 16, 2014, 01:49:03 PM
All in this batch look pretty shit to me. :I
Maybe you should submit one next week. :I

Vismund Cygnus

All of the rooms have their flaws this week, and I wouldn't call any of them strictly "good". SlyPork's takes my vote because the bottom half of the room is really freakin' rad, despite the extreme amounts of work the top needs.
Jefe: Echoing everyone else, the really straight edges on the cave tiles make it look really unnatural and weird. The background also needs a lot of work, however coming from you it's almost acceptable.
retro: it's pretty groovy, however from a playability standpoint, welp I don't really see how it works, assuming those Samus Eaters are real Samus Eaters or even spikes or something. Looks like a giant death trap.

DSO

Quote from: Alisa Orlova on December 17, 2014, 04:53:59 AM
Let's think about what would add on the voting option "No winner".
Try not voting if you can't find something to like about any of the rooms.
If you want people to improve, then make suggestions instead of blanket stating that everyone's work is awful. If you have criticism, it's usually easiest to take when mixed with compliments on things they did do well. "No winner" is not useful criticism and it says more about the attitude of the voter than about the rooms.

[spoiler=Jefe]Your room looks plenty playable and it's not bad, but the tileset seems somewhat underutilized and feels too 'regular'. It's not necessarily the straightness of the ground, there are two things are bugging me more than anything else.
1. The background formation is repeated exactly the same throughout the room.
2. The grapple blocks make it feel like your hack has walljump disabled. Which is a decision you can make, but in that case it appears you need hi-jump just to reach that first platform. And then once you have hi-jump, you find out that you can't make it the rest of the way up anyway? That would be a turn off to me.
But I did see some things I did like, for example the vertical shaft is not just a plain constant width. I even like the fact that the floor is flat, not so much for visual reasons, but more for playability and just being able to run through it.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Slypork]Nice, this feels very much in the vein of something Dmantra would do, but less crazy. Sure the room *could* be better visually, especially with the green blocks up top, but the way you have it set up reminds me of old-school hacks before tiling errors were such grave sins, and it's not really bothering me much. So, I'm going to give you my main gripes with this room. The bottom section is essentially a horizontal corridor, but I can't run through it at all. It just feels like it kills momentum and flow in movement to me. And the lower right door bothers me, where you're walking on air because the beast head tiles aren't thick enough to be used as solid, walkable ground in my opinion. But I like the face and the cliffhangeresque feel I get from the room.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=RetroKnuckles]Again, feels somewhat Dmantra like. This room may be somewhat difficult to traverse, but the tiles you've chosen support that style and I feel you did the best this week at fitting a theme. I got more of the atmosphere of the hack from your room than I did the others, so I ended up voting for you.[/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

I can see retro using the same concept I did, but that's a good thing. My shit was too compact, I'd like to see an actual area that's got some size to it that looks fleshy/organic/hellish.
The filler tiles work well together, it forms some amorphous landscape that's alive. I dig it.

Though I voted slypork for that sick face!

SpoOkyMagician

I seemed to have completely forgotten about this topic. :neutral: I'll go ahead and vote for this week at least.

@RetroKnuckles: The design is pretty creepy. The layout is pretty good as well. I like it in general. I could nitpick here but, I think I'll save my time.

@Jiffy: I question the background tile design but otherwise, it looks like a pretty good room to me. Good job here.

@SlyPork: It's a pretty creative room. I always liked rooms with creative tile use like this. More nitpicking but, I am not going to bother.

Overall, their all pretty well designed rooms in general. (Minimal flaws/issues that I see but eh...) I still have to give my vote to SlyPork though. Well done.

~ SpoOkyMagician

Jiffy

I think this turned out pretty well.
[spoiler=Snot Of The Week][/spoiler]

personitis

The palette in that room makes me think someone ripped a room from Redesign and vomited excessively on their monitor. On a serious note, I'm not a huge fan about the sandy tiles running off into the darkness that are filler tiles. That and the CRE colors/structure are waaay too offset with the rest of the room.

Grimlock

Quote from: Jefe962 on December 20, 2014, 06:40:28 AM
I think this turned out pretty well.
[spoiler=Snot Of The Week][/spoiler]

I detect gratuitous Photoshop abuse on the near horizon...  :twisted:

(Brace yourself)

Vismund Cygnus

Far from being my best work, I'm mostly just chucking this here so the competition doesn't run over a week. Don't really have much to add except that I'll update this when I get home from work, assuming it's not done already.

[spoiler]
When all I've been working on is Sunshine, you're damned right that you're getting a Sunshine room.[/spoiler]