News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hi! and help!

Started by CrystalDarkEye, March 08, 2014, 01:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrystalDarkEye

Hi I am new to the forums, but I need a little help with a small problem with a bug. I am trying to find out why it is doing this but it might be something wrong when
I was editing the layer 2, but I edited the layer 2 just a little bit. It is quit annoying because every time you die and end up at the ship their is some weird green
background tiles that appeared out of nowhere and filled up the entire screen. when it goes off screen it starts to disappear. What is going on I just have no idea
what I had done wrong?
[spoiler]This is what happens if samus don't move.  [/spoiler] [spoiler]And this is what happens if samus moves.[/spoiler][spoiler]This is what happens if samus goes away from the ship.[/spoiler][spoiler]This is what happens if samus goes off screen [/spoiler]
PS. I just started super metroid hacking, this is going to be my first hack that I am going to created.

Quietus

This is a common occurrence when testing through quickmet within SMILE.  Have you tried it by just loading your ROM through your emulator to see if it does the same thing?

CrystalDarkEye

Its fine in smile (usually purple) but that was from my emulator.Which means that I ran it in my emulator then put it in ips and then applied it with a clean rom, ran it
using an emulator and its still there.

Quietus

No, what I mean is, when you press E in a room in SMILE to test your room, the junk is common.  Have you tried just loading your emulator normally, then loading your ROM.  Does it still do it?

CrystalDarkEye

nope still did nothing and i opened my emulator. ______.exe, pressed load and then loaded the rom and its still there...

CrystalDarkEye

What I also dont get is that normally with that junk from smile you would be able to see samus in front of it but with this"junk" its like samus is behind it.

Quietus

Have you been tinkering with any of the doors in the room?  If so, it could be related to the infamous scrolling sky error.  Check 5.2 of the FAQ.

Regarding being in front of or behind Samus, have you tinkered with any of the graphics or tiles?  If you have, it's possible that you've used tiles with differing properties to the originals.  If you open the graphics editor (Tools > Graphics Editor) and look under the Tile Table Editor section, you'll see an enlarged version of whichever tile you click on.  It will have four numbers in the corner, which relate to the palette the tile uses, but if you look on some of the tiles, you will see that they have red dots in the centre.  If you click on the tile, the red dot will toggle on and off.  A red dot means that Samus appears in front of it, and no dot means she will go behind it.  Check the tiles you're having problems with.

CrystalDarkEye

I did not tinker around with graphics or background(if it sill works(layer changes)) but I might find whats the problem before publishing it, but there is some things I did which did not work such as, removing layer 2 and also I accidentally changed the bg pointers to 0000 so when I change it smile did not reconize the original pointers.

P.JBoy

That's just the scrolling sky glitch. It's pretty much guaranteed to happen if you've changed the position of any of the doors or ship, and will almost always happen when using SMILE's quickmet function