News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

winter solstice contest voting

Started by Quote58, February 28, 2014, 09:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

personitis

Okay! I've put this off long enough. :^_^:

Best use of central items: So Little Items. Even though I feel like boost ball doesn't add much in its current state, the overabundance of grappling and the removal of wall jumping (making freezing enemies an alternative form of vertical travel) enforce the selected items well.

Best use of winter theme: Ice Returns: Epysbane. Not much to say here as it's a clean run away since the entire hack had frosty tilesets. IIRC, the first room of SMCompetition had snow as did the first area of Sunshine Oddity. Both don't quite compare to Ice Returns however.

Best ASM/Hex changes: Ice Returns: Epysbane. I was close to voting for Sunshine Oddity (honorable mention!) but decided that having a custom/imported boss from Fusion was more interesting (even if the fight was originally really difficult and tedious) than the multiple game play changes offered in Oddity.

Best overall: So Little Items. I took some time to reflect on this one as Ice Returns was my other option. Overall, SLI used it's items well, felt the most polished out of all the hacks, and followed all the guidelines (except for "winter theme") to a tee. Despite the awesome Serris, the chilly look, and my feelings toward Gravity Suit not getting much use (it was pretty much the "key" to the end), I felt that Ice Returns had a lot of potential on being something much bigger than what it turned out to be.

Quote58

Well, looks like the time for voting has come to an end. Idk what 8bit wants to do but since he's gone for a few days I'll probably have to do it insteadNvm but I had already started so meh. Idk about prizes and whatnot but I'll tally up the votes and edit the first post to show the winner. Good job everyone.

personitis

Yay! An end to a contest that went on forever! Good job everyone.

I've totaled all the votes now and surprised the op hasn't been edited yet...

:heheh:

Smiley

Metaquarius

SLI is the most polished one and it definitely deserves its first place (although I didn't feel like playing it until the end)
SMCompetition also deserves the worse overall mention as I had to put the controller down two minutes after loading the game. :colonrightv:

Nikoshiba

I'm surely totally stupid but... I wasn't able to "escape" the 1st Room of the SLI hack... :'(

Smiley

Look at the background near the doors as you go.

Quietus

Or you can cheat. :razz:

If you go through the wrong door, the music restarts, so you just trial each door, and if the music continues normally, then you've got the correct sequence. :study:

Lunaria

At least our hack managed to do something right.

Nikoshiba

kottpower

Hello.

You might know this already, but the Ice Returns - Epysbane (Ver 0.9 Contest build) demo hack crashed on original SNES hardware - both with Super Everdrive and SD2SNES.

It crashed in a specific room in the underwater region to the right of the ship. I assume that's where the boss is located or something?

You probably know this already, but just wanted to point it out just in case.

/kottpower

Metaquarius

Quote from: kottpower on May 05, 2014, 08:16:27 PM
Hello.

You might know this already, but the Ice Returns - Epysbane (Ver 0.9 Contest build) demo hack crashed on original SNES hardware - both with Super Everdrive and SD2SNES.

It crashed in a specific room in the underwater region to the right of the ship. I assume that's where the boss is located or something?

You probably know this already, but just wanted to point it out just in case.

/kottpower
Thanks for the report. Something went wrong with the song used in the boss room. I was unaware it was causing crashes on real hardware (and most emulators just ignore this issue). This should be fixed in the updated hack only if this time, Crys actually lets me beta test it before release. :lol:

Lunaria

I was not aware you wanted to. :P

I mean, I would have had a dedicated testing team or a second opinion at least on the whole product if I had the time. But most of the design kinda got mashed up in the last few hours and me working through the night. :v