News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

"Another Metroid 2 Remake" By DoctorM64

Started by GunerX, November 03, 2013, 04:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passarbye

I've got the 1.0 AM2R archive. If you guys need it, just shoot me a PM.

I'm going to 'get' Fed Force; I haven't bought games in a while. I just hope it doesn't end up an exact copy of MP: hunters because I want some improvements to the core engine. It seems like a decent game, but I can see why it gets so much hate.

Scooterboot9697

I feel that this may be relevant right about now...

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

A Dummy

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on August 11, 2016, 11:53:06 AM

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Honestly, I would do this if Walmart didn't stop selling Nintendo eshop cards, that's really the only thing stopping me from trying to own every Metroid game on every platform I can.

Sheoldred

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on August 11, 2016, 11:53:06 AM

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Probably a good idea. Buying the past games instead of FF at least sends a more positive message. If I recall, DMC fans did something similar by buying a DMC collection that was available at the time rather than the "DmC" reboot. That said, I don't know if it'll work.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Zero One on August 11, 2016, 10:33:12 AM

Personally, while I was at first surprised that Nintendo would do it, it makes sense. They have to protect their trademarks. However, they don't have to protect their copyrights, which is strange, because a DMCA is all about copyright, not trademark.

For clarification, a copyright is immutable. Allowing people to use your copyrighted materials doesn't weaken your copyrights. However, trademarks can be weakened by external use, which would be a valid reason to to ask for the game to be taken down, but they filed a DMCA, not a Letter Before Action. But, again, irrelevant, it would've happened anyway.

Even with all that said, it confirms they knew the game was there, even saw the demos out there as well.
Why would they pull that now after the initial release of it, rather than getting it in its development stages ?
Its their copyrighted works alright and their trademark starred characters, I wish they would just let it go.
Hell they could have sen a development kit for the 3ds and they could have asked him to develop it through it or no deal at all.
Somebody else is doing a metroid 2 remake for the 3ds which would be the right way  but I'll let you all find it on gbatemp.net.

So with that discussion put to rest, back to one of our or my favorite game:

Hemorrhoid 2, Return of the massive body aches

https://youtu.be/W_sUAINmpqI

Sheoldred

Now if no game journalists write articles about it, Nintendo probably won't even notice.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Sheoldred on August 16, 2016, 02:02:27 AM
Now if no game journalists write articles about it, Nintendo probably won't even notice.

Forget that already, nintendo knows where the blog site is, they already know where the forum is.
All they would have to do is look at the recent blog update links and it will be game over for them.
Go check out how nintendo antipiracy sneaks around the boards, ircs and websites to catch people red handed.
I'm happy that doctorm64 kept on making updates even after the first death threat letter.

Dark-SA-X

Well just mastered am2r on normal mode, now to start on hard mode this weekend.
If anyone has ever wondered what zero one really looks like in real life view 6:00.  :wink:
~The best fearsome green beast he is~

https://youtu.be/AM65-Dl2tBY

DonnyDonovan

Been playing this.  I'm about an hour in so far.  It's pretty well done.

danidub

I'm working on an AM2R map since two weeks. It's still a W.I.P.
It looks like this: http://www.nordub.ca/Maps/AM2R.png
Please, tell me if you see something inaccurate.

RT-55J

Nice!

Issues I noticed:
1) You appear to be missing some of the low% Super Missile shortcuts (e.g. in the room below Serris).
2) The large monument at the top of the tower is missing.
3) In the breeding grounds of the Hydro Station, in the room above the leftmost Alpha Metroid (the one with the items), you're missing a foreground layer.

danidub

Quote from: RT-55J on August 30, 2016, 11:29:36 PM
Nice!
Issues I noticed:
1) You appear to be missing some of the low% Super Missile shortcuts (e.g. in the room below Serris).
2) The large monument at the top of the tower is missing.
3) In the breeding grounds of the Hydro Station, in the room above the leftmost Alpha Metroid (the one with the items), you're missing a foreground layer.

Thank you!
I found a super missile shortcut below the save station to the right of Serris, is it this one?
They are well hidden.

RT-55J

Yeah, that's the one.

There's also another one on the path to Area 5 (pics).

I assume these are concessions to low% runners.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: danidub on August 30, 2016, 05:24:39 PM
I'm working on an AM2R map since two weeks. It's still a W.I.P.

Well I looked at the map you have currently, where is GFS Thoth ?
When I was on the surface of sr388 at the beginning and after I beat the metroid queen.
I didn't see any openings leading to it, the only possible lead is the GF reasearch base there was a opening in the top shaft but didn't go any further.

I pretty much won't use this map because I know my way around the old metroid 2 sr388 and remake of sr388.
Not a high percent speed runner so thats probably why. ;)

PonchGaming

SPOILERS
[spoiler]At the place with the two alphas and the dead people, lay a power bomb to the left of that room, will reveal an elevator.[/spoiler]

Dark-SA-X

Hmm so I found it the mini boss I believe which is in the upper deck of the ship.
How in the hell do I take it out, also I know there is another boss after him by looking at the map.
Since I am doing a hardmode recording at the moment, having those 2 power bombs would be very usefull for taking out that tester boss.

Its a bitch when that tester boss is at full power and no plasma beam to clear it out more quickly.

danidub

Quote from: RT-55J on August 31, 2016, 09:03:27 PM
Yeah, that's the one.
Ha! This time I think the map is complete. I hope...
Thanks to you.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: danidub on September 01, 2016, 10:34:26 AM
Quote from: RT-55J on August 31, 2016, 09:03:27 PM
Yeah, that's the one.
Ha! This time I think the map is complete. I hope...
Thanks to you.

It might be a long shot but speak with the admin and webmaster at metroid database and ask them if they will alow your map.
http://www.metroid-database.com/maps.php

Don't know what specific details nintendo of america lawyer told mdb privately about will allowing or not allowing besides that am2r.exe on their servers to be hosted.
However this shouldn't do any harm to them, it would be good to look at while playing for new comers or 100% go getters or comparing to the old map of Metroid 2.

PonchGaming

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/2016/09/no-future-for-am2r.html
AM2R is basically rip. Doc has said he won't work on abother metroid remake. He has plans for other projects. Not metroid related. OK maybe Metroidvania, but not an actual metroid game.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: PonchGaming on September 02, 2016, 01:44:03 AM
AM2R is basically rip. Doc has said he won't work on abother metroid remake. He has plans for other projects.

Heh whats done is done 10 years of his work and the final release of it most people like this.
However like docm64 said off and on he doesn't want a legal problem with Nintendo incorporated.
Lets just hope nintendo doesn't pull any copyright infringments starting with rom hacks ips files.
Yes it can happen with a copyright infringement claim since none of us do have permission.
To use their sacred characters, mess with their coding, images, music and sharing it.
If nintendo wanted to go that far, they would go through that method, I'm surprised they haven't since they saw mdb ips files for a long long time.

Just a thought to think about if they're willing to bring down a computer game.

passarbye

AM2R is basically rip. Doc has said he won't work on abother metroid remake. He has plans for other projects. Not metroid related. OK maybe Metroidvania, but not an actual metroid game.
He needs to just release the fucking source, he can't update it anymore and we've been waiting on a C&D for a while now anyway.

PonchGaming

He could get in trouble for that. It's a c&d. You can't do anything with it anymore. He could get in serious trouble. And not too mention, that's kinda a greedy thing to say.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: passarbye on September 02, 2016, 02:07:37 PM
He needs to just release the fucking source, he can't update it anymore and we've been waiting on a C&D for a while now anyway.

You will need to go by his forum or email him directly and ask politely for the source.
I partially agree with Ponch that you are forcibly asking for a source he's solely worked on for years.
Depending on what you do with the content if its to make your own game ok maybe so.
Too update the game again and release it in the near future, could get both of you in trouble.
He already mentioned he doesn't want warning shot number 2.
Keep this in mind before you do anything else pass this point.

siddhartha__

Quote from: PonchGaming on September 02, 2016, 05:59:18 PM
He could get in trouble for that. It's a c&d. You can't do anything with it anymore. He could get in serious trouble. And not too mention, that's kinda a greedy thing to say.

maybe i'm misinterpreting but it specifically says "takedown request" and "DMCA" in his post and nothing about ceasing or desisting