News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Community Item Randomizer Race (Suitless "possible") 10-25-2013

Started by MetroidMst, October 23, 2013, 06:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetroidMst

So just putting this out there for people who want to join in on the "fun" we're having. This Friday, time TBD right now, we'll be having a race with the Item Randomizer with suitless Maridia marked "possible" for the seed. Everyone racing will have their own seed, so we all get crazy stuff. We'll also be having a Skype call if you'd like to join in.

A note about the Item Randomizer if you are unfamiliar with it. The Reserve Tanks are replaced with a face. It isn't a bug, it was done on purpose. (Called a Kappa FYI.) Major items swap with only other major items and Reserve Tanks. (So you can't get Gravity Suit under MB's old tank, but you could find Varia where the Brinstar Reserve Tank is.) The other items all can swap with each other, and totals may be completely different. (Such as you could get 100 Power Bombs, 15 Missiles, 55 Supers, and the Rest Etanks.) Morph Ball, the first Missile tank, and Bombs are always in the same spot. The Supers behind Spore Spawn are always Supers, and the Power Bombs in Red Brinstar are always Power Bombs. (This so you can't get stuck because you don't have one of the items.)

So if you want to join in and have a good window of time, post it here and we'll get this worked out tomorrow so we're ready to go on Friday. Even if you can only join in an hour after everyone else starts, please do. People who end up doing Maridia Suitless are going to take a long time, and you might finish ahead of them anyway depending on your seed. I am thinking sometime early/mid afternoon EST myself. But maybe later if it would help others join in. Right now I am thinking starting sometime between 1400-1700 EST.

Digital_Mantra

I'm interested, seen enough of these randomizer races on srl while also racing myself off the charts. Depends what I'm up to this weekend though.
They do the SM races on friday too. kappa kappa kappa

Smiley

This could be fun. It's going to be a bit late at night for me, but it doesn't matter.

Vismund Cygnus

I'm interested, but don't worry about trying to work out a time that'll accommodate me. If I'm there I'm there, if not, oh well. It sounds fun though.  :lol:

Quietus

I may well be in.  Are we all running the same seed?  Or are we each creating a random seed to run?  Also, if I get suitless, I'm sooo gonna ragequit. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: MetroidMst on October 23, 2013, 06:04:51 PM
People who end up doing Maridia Suitless are going to take a long time, and you might finish ahead of them anyway depending on your seed.
I am assuming this meant we are all picking different seeds Quietus.  :^_^:

Quietus

Well, that's what I thought, but it kind of conflicted with the idea of it being a race, when everybody is running something different. :^_^:

Maybe it should be renamed to 'Luckiest Seed Contest'. :heheh:

Plutia

I haven't done a randomizer before, and I haven't done a race before, so this would end in disaster for me if I joined!

Count me in.

Quietus

It's only a failure if you don't learn from it, right? :^_^:

Law

Quietus

I'm not sure that would work, with a lot of stuff having been repointed to new positions within the ROM.  It may be possible, since most of PB's alterations are graphical, and may not impact on the items themselves.

Jordan5

Quote from: Quietus on October 24, 2013, 06:09:23 AM
Well, that's what I thought, but it kind of conflicted with the idea of it being a race, when everybody is running something different. :^_^:

Maybe it should be renamed to 'Luckiest Seed Contest'. :heheh:

It's probably going to end up as less of a race and more 'laugh at the guy trying to do suitless maridia'  :lol:

Quietus

Most likely.  With the rest of us making crude jokes about Samus having problems with crabs. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Quietus on October 24, 2013, 08:14:18 AM
Most likely.  With the rest of us making crude jokes about Samus having problems with crabs. :^_^:
And then I'm sure that person will feel...

Crabby.  :cool:

Quietus

They'll be fine, as long as they overcome the lobstercle. :oh:

Mon732

Sounds fun, 2-5pm est is 7-10pm gmt right?
I'll want to join in, more for the skype call than the race. :heheh:

MetroidMst

Alright, for some clarification about why we are doing different seeds. How well you do does kind of depend on your seed, but also how well the player does with what he is given. A bad seed early may mean that the back end will go uber fast. But besides that, we have done this kind of race before, and everyone having their own seed tends to lend itself to more chaos and fun. Whereas some may experience elation at finding Gravity Suit at the Brinstar Reserve Tank, others may end up with Spring Ball. As long as you enjoy the chaos, where you place doesn't really matter so much.

And if anyone wants to know how to do suitless Maridia, look it up. It is a pain in every possible way. You should be aware that you will need enough ammo for at least one crystal flash, preferably two or three to be safe, and X-Ray scope. You need to crystal flash and let Draygon grab you while doing it, then Grapple kill him. This gives the player a shinespark to use. The next room requires an X-Ray climb. And since I know someone who did it recently, I will inform you that you need to get stuck in the door while standing, otherwise you won't gain any height.

Also, from what I have gathered so far it seems 1600 EST (4PM) might work better for someone, but if that is too late for some Europeans we can push that up. (And the other person can start when they get ready.)

Smiley

Is 1600 EST the time in New York? I used a time zone converter and it had three different ESTs listed, so I need someone to confirm this.

About suitless Maridia: Crystal flashes and/or X-ray climbing are not necessarily needed. It just might be so that Gravity suit is behind Draygon. (Or in a certain sandfall room... learned that the hard way :lol:)

MetroidMst

Quote from: The Monster of Surrealton on October 24, 2013, 11:27:15 AM
Will it be on Twitch and a link so I can follow?
If someone streams their run. You would only see them, but you'd hear everyone. Maybe someone would be willing to do so? (If I had an interweb capable. . .)

Also, SMILEuser is right. Gravity might be behind Draygon. Although I do believe that if it is in the sandfall room where the Reserve Tank normally is, you can't reach it ever. I may be wrong about that, but I can't figure out how to grab it right now. Also, Spring Ball location is another option, which for the most part is also impassable without X-Ray climbing. (And if you get there and go down to check and it isn't Gravity. . . Have fun getting out of there.)

Mon732

I'm 5 hours ahead of Mst and EST - New York gave me the same difference so go for that.

For anyone wanting to convert I used this site.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

For the first timezone click the "Time Zones..." button and look through the list for the EST (There are 3) that contains New York then double click on New York.
For the second timezone you put your current location, simple.

Smiley

I just might stream my playthrough. I did some testing and streaming seems to be a bit laggy though (hooray for internetz in the middle of nowhere! :grin:).
Link to my twitch:
http://www.twitch.tv/smileuser96

Quietus

Do we also know how likely impossible runs are?  I tried a run the other day, which I thought had reached a dead end, and the only way out I saw was doing the pre-Botwoon room with the Ice Beam.

Edit: Speaking of which, I've just had another run killed by two Varia Suits. :sad:

personitis

Quote from: Jordan5 on October 24, 2013, 08:04:30 AM
It's probably going to end up as less of a race and more 'laugh at the guy trying to do suitless maridia'  :lol:
This was me Tuesday night... For the sake of anyone who joins this, ends up doing suitless Maridia, and wishes to accept the challenge, I suggest you have the following to make sure you don't get screwed in Maridia:

• 10/10/15 Missiles/Supers/Powers (preferably more just incase for Draygon's Crystal Flash)
  • Hi-Jump (makes a bunch of jumps possible)
  • Ice Beam (freezing enemies in the first big room and any ice clip to Botwoon/Spring Ball)
  • Grapple Beam (quite a few rooms and killing Draygon)
  • X-Ray Scope (the amazing X-Ray climb :D)
And if you need assistance, ask around.

Quote from: MetroidMst on October 24, 2013, 11:34:12 AM
Also, SMILEuser is right. Gravity might be behind Draygon. Although I do believe that if it is in the sandfall room where the Reserve Tank normally is, you can't reach it ever. I may be wrong about that, but I can't figure out how to grab it right now. Also, Spring Ball location is another option, which for the most part is also impassable without X-Ray climbing. (And if you get there and go down to check and it isn't Gravity. . . Have fun getting out of there.)
Wrong. It's possible to ice clip up to shaktool's door. Tedious, but possible.

Quote from: Quietus on October 24, 2013, 03:20:37 PM
Do we also know how likely impossible runs are?  I tried a run the other day, which I thought had reached a dead end, and the only way out I saw was doing the pre-Botwoon room with the Ice Beam.
I don't believe such runs exist. The guy who made the randomizer has quite a bit of knowledge about Super Metroid himself (Dessyreqt). Not to mention this is v10 of the program and it's been through extensive runs/tests. Regardless, there is always a way out, even if it requires a difficult trick (ice clip to get to Botwoon or an early lava dive to get into Lower Norfair without Gravity).

Quote from: Quietus on October 24, 2013, 03:20:37 PM
Edit: Speaking of which, I've just had another run killed by two Varia Suits. :sad:
Uhh... you're very unlucky... I haven't ever had any issues myself (aside from Spazer always being a R-Tank except for 2 times out of roughly 50).