News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

A super metroid hack: The Story Of Genesis I

Started by Zephoras, October 30, 2013, 05:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephoras

[spoiler][/spoiler] This is a W.I.P. hack of mine. my first REAL hack. Story: [spoiler] Samus destroyed mother brain yada yada yada... same as super metroid but instead she delivered the infant to a space station called Genesis I, The closest research station to Sr388, Shortly after her departure the station is raided by ridley. Samus Decides to chase after Ridley and follows him back to Sr388.[/spoiler]
I shall be releasing demos and such every now and then.
Genesis Station version 1 (zero revisions so far) ips is now available. nothing is new after the trip to zebes Beside the Highly WIP landing site...
Current areas:[spoiler]Genesis I. 50% Surface2%. Galactic Federation Research site 15%.[/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

I'm having a hell of a time re-exploring SR388 as we speak, so I like this premise of the planet being it instead of Zebes,
or some random alternate universe Zebes.

Try to incorporate massive, vacuous caverns with structured buildings within them at the base.
Oh and lot's of event triggered lava lowering.
:grin:

Zephoras

:D i was just playing Another Metroid 2 Remake so i had alot of inspiration. and thanks for the ideas

Zephoras

And also there may be alpha and other mutations of metroids... maybe... the chances of a queen again though would be nearly 0 because a metroid cant mutate that fast without outside help (points at the metroid queen from other m). a mutation to a omega may also be suicide for the hack... Idk. it all may be edited sprites with custom hp. But man. When you are a new hacker you go into something thinking you can breeze through the rooms. but the details take longer than you expect.  :grin:

personitis

Quote from: Zephoras on October 30, 2013, 06:47:48 PMBut man. When you are a new hacker you go into something thinking you can breeze through the rooms. but the details take longer than you expect.  :grin:
Sure it's fun when you first come across it (game hacking) at first, but hopefully you'll realize sooner or later that producing a hack that's of good quality and length takes a lot of work and is not something that's done within a short period of time (that is unless you know what you're doing and/or have produced a hack before).

Zephoras

Ive known that it takes alot of work. but remaking just the small rooms in ceres is a lengthy process...

Zephoras

Also. any help for renaming Zebes to Sr388 in the departure from ceres? or a way to remove the entire video

Digital_Mantra

Please try to stray for double posting. Just update your first post.
As for removing the ceres explosion animation and the trip to zebes, dunno.
But you can change the GFX for it! Make it a different looking planet?

Also, never played the remake, just the gameboy one.
Yeah yeah, it's on my list. I just want to play it when its 100% done.

Zephoras

Ah ok Ty. Sorry for this super newby post. but ive searched and i keep getting weird results that didnt awnser my question. How do i remove the scrolling sky...

Jordan5

Try looking around the commonly asked questions in the engine works board, your answer was there:

Quote from: Scyzer on April 12, 2010, 01:07:33 AM
Q: "How do I remove the Scrolling Sky background from the Landing Site?"
A: Go Edit > Pointers. In the window that pops up, change the FX2 to 0000, BG_Data to 0000, Layer1_2 to 91D3. Now in the BG Scrolling (Tools > BG Editor > BG/Layer2 Scrolling), change it so it uses a Layer 2 Background and save.

Good luck with your hack, sounds like it could be awesome :grin:

FullOfFail

Assuming you've tried those steps, it should be noted that you have to do it for each state. At the top right there's a box that handles the states.

Zephoras

Yay Ty im using a different graphic set for the landing site and the background was garbage. imma go try that now. Uh. it asked me if i want to copy data or leave it for pointers. what do i press... Ty again guys.

FullOfFail

Click No. You never want to click yes unless you're repointing the data to free space. That's something you'll have to learn eventually, though. Make sure to check the Doc sections on the main site often, there's tons and tons of info there.

Edit, which specific version of SMILE are you using? I'd recommend Smile 2.5 for someone just starting out. It's straight-forward, and has warnings.

Zephoras

Oh ok Thanks >.> ill start checking there. i use 2.50 Also how do i edit the background right now the bg is blocks made up of 4 white x's when i try to edit the BG it says 'unsupported background format?'

FullOfFail

You gotta edit layer2. Didn't think about it earlier, but I made some vids awhile back about removing the sky, and also another for doors. I'll link them here.

Layer2
[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5VjRLOAKmI[/spoiler]

Doors
[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBibeaOzMwE[/spoiler]

Also wrote this guide on layer2, if that's easier to follow: Layer2 Guide

Zephoras

Ok Thanks. This is my first hack so... im having trouble Im glad people would help me xD YES it worked! Thank you so much! you have been so much help

Quietus

While most of us are willing to help newcomers, you'll soon find us less so if you just bombard us with questions that have likely been covered elsewhere, or have been asked numerous times.

Some links for you:
Person's Beginner Guide for SMILE (From our documents section - see below)
MoonEdit SMILE FAQ
Commonly Asked Questions
Our Documents Section
Our Videos Section

I hope those help.  Early stages in hacking are generally 95% reading, and 5% tinkering. :^_^:

Zephoras

Lol ty im sorry if i have been annoying or anything xP 

FullOfFail

Quote from: Quietus on October 31, 2013, 06:52:10 PM
I hope those help.  Early stages in hacking are generally 95% reading, and 5% tinkering. :^_^:

pfft, I rammed my head into a wall for months before I had sense to do research. Part of the reason I'm still so noobish in my hacking is it's the way I taught myself smile, I just stick with my old-habits. But in trade, I also learned alot of unique ways of building stuff. Trial and error is a double-edged sword.

personitis

Protip #1: Don't be afraid to break ROMs.
Protip #2: Backup often.

Zephoras

Lol i just got the coolest colors in my background ever. it was the original wrecked ship colors but i got this for some reason. [spoiler][/spoiler] yes my background looks messy D: but the landing site is so wierd to edit..... Also when i place something. it removes the background behind it xP  is that normal

FullOfFail

Hey Zepharas, on the main site, there's a link to a irc, click on the mibbit one and come talk to me for a sec. I'll try to tell you the basics.