News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Hard Mode

Started by personitis, November 07, 2009, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

personitis

Yes, Snes9x can record avi. Just an upload to Youtube takes forever in that format.

Cadarot

That's because you used Full Uncompressed AVI

Use another format like xvid mpeg4

Quietus

A lot of .smv's require you to have the same version of the emulator that the creator used.  This may be why you cannot run the .smv.

Regarding the .avi's: There's nothing wrong with 'Uncompressed'.  I use it for all of my YouTube videos.  What matters is that you do something with it afterward.

It's the easiest option, and requires no external software.

Record your .smv.
Replay your.smv.
Record to .AVI.
Open .avi in Movie Maker.
Export / Save to 'This Computer'.
Select your format - I use the VHS option.

That's it.  It'll usually compress a 100MB into something like 6MB, which is more than sufficient for YouTube.

personitis

That is the method I use to use but today I ran off on the net and downloaded an .avi to .mp4 converter and it works quite well. :yay:

Now back on track, anyone else got something else to add that I should tweak or a sequence break I missed? Cause I'm 99% ready for a v1.4 release (meaning there has been quite a few things changed).

personitis

NECRO BUMP. :suspect:
I'll be putting some time into popping out another version of this. Hopefully this will put me back in the hacking spirit. Things to expect:

• A name change from SM: Hard Mode to SM: Insanity(Kej's hack, sorry) Brutality
  • Any changes made in the Hard Mode version
  • In addition to the above, some more extensive, probably uncool, edits
  • Some fresh new palettes and added room detail
  • Thinking about leaving in the possibility for a Varia-less Norfair run for those hard-core enough to try it*
  • ...and anything else that seems brutal enough.
* - I've only seen Ridley killed with 7 E-Tanks. If this is the case, 5 full E-Tanks and 2 full R-Tanks will be required to beat Ridley. Missiles and Supers may also deter this from happening. Hell, I'm not even sure it's possible to beat Norfair with 7 or less energy/reserve tanks. Confirmation would be nice.
Anyone feelin' it?
[spoiler= Smiley spam for emotions likely to be expressed by the player and my reaction to said reaction]:sad: :heheh: :stern: :eyeroll: :mad: :cool: :noes: :huzzah: :FURY: :awesome:[/spoiler]

Quietus

Bear in mind that if your hack is hard in general, it may be unlikely for players to reach a boss with full health.

Balchmorn

i managed to get spazer before hi jump in this hack, it was simple really stand at the wall at the right, then run left, it must be running to gain height, then wall jump at pixel perfect spot, then when u barely reach thru the hole, immediately wall jump, i had no difficulty doing it untoolassisted. kraid is gonna be silly easy with that early spazer

edit: oh btw that video of early supers i can view it just fine in snes 1.43, all he did was arm pump thru the barriers

MATHGODpi

Sequence Breaks!
You can get an early energy tank by waking up Zebes, going back down the elevator, and using the "recoil" trick to jump to the etank on the roof in the early room in Blue Brinstar.

You can get to the wrecked ship without grappling beam. You can also get the etank in the wrecked ship (standing chozo) without the grappling beam.

You can get the wave beam without the grappling beam, using a tricky shinespark maneuver.

Note: the etank normally in the grasshopper room after beating Kraid... is not there! Was this intended?

Foxhound3857

Am I missing something? The E-Tank that's supposed to be in the locked room with Beetoms, which only opens after killing Kraid, isn't there. It seems to be the only item missing, I've gotten everything else:

92 Missiles
10 Supers
10 Power Bombs
13 E-Tanks (749 Energy)
4 Reserve Tanks (200 Energy)

This E-Tank is the only thing I'm missing. Was it moved?

My final item count was 47%.

I'm currently looking into low% for this hack now. Mother Brain requires a LOT more ammunition this time around, making Zebetite Skip redundant. And because you only pick up 1 Power Bomb, you need the Ice Beam to deal with Metroids as well. Rainbow Beam still does 300 damage with Varia/Gravity, so 5 E-Tanks should suffice.

Theoretically, I'm looking at:

38 Missiles
10 Super Missiles
1 Power Bomb
5 E-Tanks (349 energy)
Charge Beam
Ice Beam
Morph Ball
Bombs
Varia Suit
Gravity Suit

I have no idea what the final item count will be with all of this, but since Mother Brains first phase has 6,000HP in this hack, you need at least 60 Missiles worth of damage to send her into Phase 2, and you need seven to blow open the case and expose her to damage, so 37 Missiles + 10 Supers minimum to send her into Phase 2 is what my math comes out to.