News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Mission One

Started by snarfblam, November 06, 2009, 09:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarfblam

In an attempt to garner interest in Metroid One I'm posting my very incomplete hack, tentatively titled "Mission One". The idea was that the best way to test Editroid was to use it to make a functional hack. But don't be fooled. The hack is not quite... functional... per se. It is a work in progress and it would be nice to finish some day. Also, this:

BEHOLD THE AWESOME MATRIX*
[spoiler]
*hack may not actually be awesome[/spoiler]

These are the awesomest rooms. The hack as a whole isn't as glorious as the matrix itself, but it is a lot more varied and colorful than the original game. Thoughts and suggestions would be great.

Stuff:
-There are lots of dead ends with broken rooms, so... savestates
-There are lots of little bugs. I know. Right now I'm more focused on content.
-The hack is very exploration and secret intensive. Especially Kraid's hideout.

http://ilab.ahemm.org/editroid/patches/Editroid-11-06-09.ips

Hacker347

It looks awesome but, sadly i can't play it.  :sad:

GF_Kennon

Quote from: Hacker347 on November 07, 2009, 07:24:24 AM
It looks awesome but, sadly i can't play it.  :sad:

JSYK you have to right click save as

Wonder how this zoomer feels

Also what emulator would you recomend?

And im quite lost already, i need to find morph ball...

[attachment deleted by admin]

snarfblam

The first thing you want is the missiles.

If you're feeling cheaty I made a map with dots and lines on it. The dots are good things and the lines denote singularities.
[spoiler]Cheat'n mfsob[/spoiler]
Also, my favorite emulator is FCUEX because the emulation is very accurate and it has a great debugger, though sometimes I do see tearing even with vsync on.

RealRed

Oh man, this looks amazing. I guess I'll download and play this tomorrow.
Also, I lol'd hard at probable doom.. not that I looked at the map.  :cool:

Made my way to kraid. And when I say Kraid, I mean the place. not the boss.
Then I got raped by sidehoppers. it's not very fun, I assure you.

snarfblam

Kraid was meant to be difficult; the idea was that (A) you need to arm missiles every time you enter a door and (B) you get the bombs and screw to Norfair, which is comparatively easy. But I just played through it and it does take some serious patience. I may be asking too much of the player. Also, there is a litte issue where when you enter Kriad, sometimes the hoppers will jump high and other times they will only make small hops. This is level-wide and it makes a huge difference in difficulty. Either you play the level with them pouncing you as you enter every room, or you play the level with them hippity-hopping in your general direction with more time to react (though they still take 8 or 16 shots without missiles).

At the time I conceived the overall design of the level, including the sexually abusive side hoppers, the thought running through my mind was that it is a shame that so many games remove the elements of patience and practice from gameplay, but it is just as easy to over-do it.

[spoiler]

Are you tired of this?TM[/spoiler]

Antidote

poor samus, she's getting raped!

MetroidMst

That had better by a girl sidehopper, because a guy doing balls like that... :O_o:

Anyway this is the best I've ever seen the original look. Difficult, sure. But I like the original like that.