News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Customizing the Power Suit: Personal Preference

Started by The Monster of Surrealton, August 24, 2013, 02:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monster of Surrealton

The other day, I finally got SMILE to work. After messing around with it a bit, and realizing it isn't just an RPGMaker for SUper Metroid, I found the thingy to change Samus' colors.

Abandoning my interest in making a hack, for now, I began messing with the palettes.

A little thing about me. I HATE Samus' normal suit palette. All that yellow is so...boring.

I remember seeing Darkholme Hospital's normal suit palette, and l loved it.

I'm really picky about colors. I like vibrant tones, and black.

What I have here are my basic palettes I've been putting into almost all the hacks I'm playing/intend to play.

[spoiler=Generic palettes]

[/spoiler]

The color choices reflect the colors I feel work great together, and in the Gravity Suit's case, a color I'll be content with late-game.

For the past couple days, I've been playing Project Base, and am at the end after two sessions (my first playthrough of Super Metroid in years and without cheats.) I have been using these custom palettes, and in a way, I've found myself more attached to the character because of it.

After I beat Ridley, I noticed that the heat shield on the Gravity Suit made it hard to see my character in hot rooms, so I began to customize even further by creating "heat shields," the results of which you can see here.

But, for Super Zero Mission, which is next on the chopping block after I finish Project Base, I've decided to use a different set of palettes.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Here, I choose colors to make the suits look more like the NES versions. The Gravity Suit uses a Justin Bailey-esque palette instead.

So, what type of colors do you like for the Power Suit? Do you like the official palettes? Or do you like making alterations?

Quietus

I've not tinkered with the suit palettes too much, but I like to see a palette that's well thought out, and blends well.  I guess if I had to choose some kind of line for my thinking, it'd be that suits reflect their use, so the Varia Suit would have colours relating to temperature, and the Gravity Suit having colours reflecting its ability - mostly blues and greens.

How about a chameleon suit, where all of the colours are transparent except the visor and arm cannon? :^_^:

ProjectXVIII

I'll just leave these here.

[spoiler=Power][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Varia][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Gravity][/spoiler]

Jordan5

Quote from: passarbye on August 24, 2013, 01:14:03 PM
Quote from: Grime on August 24, 2013, 12:05:18 PM
http://metroidconstruction.com/suitpalettes.php
FDSLFJKLDSJ:LFESFNJDKHJCVDSHFDS
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS???
THANK YOU SO MUCH GRIME
Thanks Grime, you've helped me so much with hacking!

Also, TMoS should definitely add to these as he has a knack for suit palettes  :^_^:

The Monster of Surrealton

Quote from: Quietus on August 24, 2013, 11:55:08 AM
I've not tinkered with the suit palettes too much, but I like to see a palette that's well thought out, and blends well.  I guess if I had to choose some kind of line for my thinking, it'd be that suits reflect their use, so the Varia Suit would have colours relating to temperature, and the Gravity Suit having colours reflecting its ability - mostly blues and greens.

How about a chameleon suit, where all of the colours are transparent except the visor and arm cannon? :^_^:

I will have to look into trying that. It would look great in Advent.