News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Airy

Started by MetroidMst, August 22, 2013, 08:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetroidMst

Since no one has made a topic about it yet, Airy is from Cyclamen32 (Creator of Oxide/Vino). You can grab it from his site here. (Thanks to Quietus for the link, and aliceif for notifying me of its existence!) So if you get stuck and need help, or just want to effuse your thoughts on the hack, you have a centralized topic to do so.

So far, all I have to say is that the name "Airy" fits extremely well. Otherwise, the hack has been a very nice surprise so far. Pretty fun, and it seems to be on the easier side too, so that shouldn't scare anyone off.

The Monster of Surrealton

Just watched Person701 stream it.

That heat shield glow is amazing.

The area where it's red and dark is the best room effect I've ever seen.

I'm going to have to try this.

personitis

Finished the hack about 15 or so minutes ago. Great hack and I highly recommend it. Though Decay (or rather something there) thoroughly confused me as well as where to go after that. 5:43 with 92%.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

aliceif

Well, I beat this hack a few weeks ago and I really really liked it.
The required parts are rather easy for the most part and require no fancy moves. However, there are some really hard-to-get optional items that do require advanced techniques.

Airy has some really great design and it is also pretty atmospheric.
There are some really fancy half-transparency effects in quite a few places.

One thing to keep in mind is that reloading from a Save Station can cause the map to forget where you already were, but that is the only bug/glitch-like thing I recall having seen.

And your beam has - just like in Oxide - rapidfire which is always a fun thing to have.

[spoiler]This hack also contains a really cool plot twist![/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

very vacuous, often times spend a good 5 minutes exploring the nooks and crannies of 1 large room to find nothing.
very easy, so easy that refill stations are all over the place when you're hoping its something else cause you're already maxed out.
very fun, the physics are so casual that it's a good pass time to sit down and play for a bit here and there.

godeny

I played this hack for just about half an hour and I've got a really good first-impression. To the people who didn't play yet: I don't want to mess the surprise, so all I can say is that I've never get scared playing Metroid before...

A good thing, specially for beginner players, is that IBJ became extremely easy to perform. So easy that is possible to "walk" by the ceiling using the bombs, turning the search for items less struggling than normal.

MetroidMst

After beating the hack a couple of days ago, I have a few thoughts I wanted to share. The first being that I would definitely recommend it. You don't have to be an uber player to beat this thing. It is really more of an exploration oriented hack, with enemies/bosses providing minimal challenge. (Sort of like Searching for Items/Oxide in that sense.)

Overall the palettes looked nice, including "Red Brinstar," which I think is the best I've seen it. It also uses transparency very well. Not overdone like a certain YPR hack, but it actually made the area look better. There is also a nice little surprise or two, both of which are spoilerish so I won't go into them here.

At the end, I would highly suggest playing it. It was a fun hack to play.

DonnyDonovan

Never mind.  I had asked for a hint but found the item five minutes after posting.

Quietus

While it's fine that you edited your post after finding the item, it's always worth leaving the original content there too, since another user may search a thread for the same answer. :^_^:

Daltone

tried to play this, got to a broken room somewhere to the west of the ship. im playing revision 2 on console, does this happen for anyone else?

MetroidMst

I did not experience any broken rooms anywhere Daltone.

DonnyDonovan

Good point Quietus.  I had literally never found something sooner after posting and immediately wished I hadn't so my instinct was to remove the post entirely.

The item I (temporarily) couldn't track down was [spoiler]Super missiles[/spoiler]

Quietus

Quote from: Daltone on August 24, 2013, 05:49:56 PM
tried to play this, got to a broken room somewhere to the west of the ship. im playing revision 2 on console, does this happen for anyone else?
Any more information?  The only room I've seen so far that may be considered broken was in what looked like Lower Norfair, with the Ridley Head entrance.  My game went super slow motion, the enemy graphics glitched out, and the only way through it was to keep firing, and holding my fast forward button. :neutral:

Yuki

Quote from: Quietus on August 24, 2013, 09:32:00 PM
Any more information?  The only room I've seen so far that may be considered broken was in what looked like Lower Norfair, with the Ridley Head entrance.  My game went super slow motion, the enemy graphics glitched out, and the only way through it was to keep firing, and holding my fast forward button. :neutral:
I had the exact same problem, it's so odd. I wonder if anyone who knows more than us about the game can check out the room and see the issue?

aliceif

Quote from: Drevan Zero on August 24, 2013, 09:35:45 PM
Quote from: Quietus on August 24, 2013, 09:32:00 PM
I had the exact same problem, it's so odd. I wonder if anyone who knows more than us about the game can check out the room and see the issue?
I don't recall having seen any enemies glitch out. The game does slow down in the Lower Norfair themed area at times, though.
You mean this room, right?
[spoiler][/spoiler]
EDIT: Just went there. I had some slowdown once the yellow pirates came into view but that's it.

DonnyDonovan

My game totally glitched out and slowed to about 5% of normal speed in that area but I kept pushing in the direction I was going and firing and eventually it recovered and the rest of Lower Norfair played just fine.  So it wasn't just me I see.

MetroidMst

I never had any issue with slowdown beyond a bunch of enemies on screen. I suspect those areas just may be because you didn't blast all the enemies before progressing? Just throwing an idea out there, since I never had an issue with it.

Digital_Mantra

yeh I remember parts of it had retarded slowdown as if there were 20 unused enemies offscreen

Daltone

[spoiler][/spoiler][spoiler][/spoiler]
the game plays fine until about 2 rooms after spazer, im using the header revision 2 patch off his site there

Quietus

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on August 24, 2013, 10:54:57 PM
yeh I remember parts of it had retarded slowdown as if there were 20 unused enemies offscreen
Nah, it wasn't slowdown.  If DonnyDonovan had the same issue I had, then it was retarded slowdown, almost like using frame advance, and the enemy's graphic turned into a little blob of sorts.  I'll try and get a quick video up...

Edit: Hmm, in trying that, I got no slowdown at all on snes9x, so maybe it's a ZSNES problem?

aliceif

None at all?
Some rooms in that area do slow down for a second or two for me, mostly when scrolling new enemies into the screen. Slowdown as in ~half speed or so.
My emulator is mednafen 0.9.29, a modified version of bsnes v0.59 with some added goodies.

ianfrombristol

Quote from: Quietus on August 25, 2013, 12:36:28 PM
Quote from: Digital_Mantra on August 24, 2013, 10:54:57 PM
Nah, it wasn't slowdown.  If DonnyDonovan had the same issue I had, then it was retarded slowdown, almost like using frame advance, and the enemy's graphic turned into a little blob of sorts.  I'll try and get a quick video up...

Edit: Hmm, in trying that, I got no slowdown at all on snes9x, so maybe it's a ZSNES problem?

I'm using ZSNES and suffered severe slowdown in a small section of the game.  Once I cleared out some of the enemies in the area game speed soon returned to normal

Quietus

It's definitely enemy related, and I think it's one of the last Novas before the pirates.  Having cleared the room of enemies Novas, I can go in both directions with no slowdown whatsoever.  Here's what I see, in pic order (the first pic is where I can stand horizontally before it starts, then Samus disappears, and the graphical crap appears):
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Scyzer

I had a quick look through the rom.
In the room in question ($B236) with some slowdown, I didn't find anything that should directly cause any slowdown, and I didn't get any while testing.
There is only 1 odd thing, which is that one of the Nova ($05) has a speed 2 of $000F. For Novas, speed 2 should be unused according to the text file, but I've not actually gone through the enemy and had a look at the AI. It's possible this is what is causing the slowdown in ZSNES.
There are no offsite enemies or other problems related to enemies in the room from what I could see.

DonnyDonovan

And so it's clear, my issue was 100% identical to Quietus' and in the exact same place.  I'm using ZSNES 1.51.  It wasn't game-breaking.