News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

T.H.E. Contest (The Hacking Exhibitionist Contest)

Started by FullOfFail, August 01, 2013, 06:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullOfFail

Many ideas have been thrown around regarding this contest, but I've decided to take the 'simplicity is best' approach. There's only a few rules and regulations, leaving the rest up to the hacker. This would be a great opportunity for hackers who've been hiding below the radar to show-case their skills, without spoiling anything from their hack.

- Vanilla, Mixed, and Customs are all accepted

- Must be beatable (Note: You can get end-game BTS' from the Halloween Contest)

- ASM and Hex tweaks are accepted

- 1 Final Boss (could be Mini, Main, or other Enemy)

- Required limits of 5 rooms minimum, 20 rooms maximum (excluding your desired boss' room)

- Length of contest will be 1 month (Aug 1st - Aug 31st) So, show your hack love!

That should be it. The rest is left up to the hacker's imagination. I would make rules based on scrolls, upgrades, things of that nature, but that just feels like needless limitations. Your rooms can be as big or small as you see fit, but I'd suggest somewhere in the middle for most.

Also note, Sept. 1st - 7th will be when entries are submitted.

A few additional notes:

- You can have as many mini/main bosses as you wish, but the catch is they'll count towards the 20 max limit.

- The End-Game patch from the Halloween contest uses the BTS 03, Air Fool X-Ray.

- You can use as many 1x1 Savestation, Map, Missile and Energy recharge rooms as you'd like without it counting towards the room total.

- Since the submission process doesn't end until the 7th, you can utilize that entire week to finish/polish your hack if need-be.

Vismund Cygnus

Well, here's hoping that we get more than 2 entries.  :grin:
Should this thread be in the Contests board though, as opposed to off-topic?

Smiley

Quietus

Quote from: SMILEuser96 on August 01, 2013, 08:09:43 AMI guess I could try living up to my name again.
You mean only 96 tiles per scroll area? :razz:

Anyway, I may even try my hand here.  My biggest concern is going to be time, but I guess if worse comes to worst I'll submit one room followed by a boss room. :^_^:

Just before I get stuck in, when it mentions about vanilla tilesets, does that mean no tinkering whatsoever?  I only ask because it may be handy to be able to use the existing tile table to build new tiles.  Of course, there'd still be no actual editing of them or new ones created.

Go, go, go, people!  And good luck to all those taking part. :^_^:

begrimed

I'm going to assume that modifying tile tables and splicing different area sets together is A-okay, since you're just rearranging what's already there.

FullOfFail

Quote from: Quietus on August 01, 2013, 08:17:25 AM
Just before I get stuck in, when it mentions about vanilla tilesets, does that mean no tinkering whatsoever?  I only ask because it may be handy to be able to use the existing tile table to build new tiles.  Of course, there'd still be no actual editing of them or new ones created.

This could easily get into a slippery-slope area, but if I understand you correctly, that sounds perfectly reasonable. It's hard to set stuff like this in stone, but I'd say just use it in moderation and when needed. The reason I chose to keep with the Vanilla theme verses Mixed, is, so that it would be a showcase of skill (also would be easier for the community to judge similar things).

Another issue that was raised was whether it can have custom GFX for enemies. And, since ASM is allowed, I've decided to say yes to this. I can't see how it'd affect anything else, just make the hacks a bit more unique if desired.

----

BTW:

Since this is only the 1st day, if anyone takes issues with any of the rules, now would be a good time to express them. They're subject to change for now, but after a few days I'll have to cement them. I doubt much about the rules would change though, just minor details.

Yuki

Cloud20

Sadly I wont have the time for it, I must focus on my main release

Jordan5

Count me in! :grin:

I'm glad we've got a week for submissions as I won't have my computer for another week. All of the rules seem good to me, so good luck everyone!  :^_^:

personitis

Let me see if I can finally finish a contest hack this time around...

I should also ask to clarify, we are talking rooms in SMILE, not the actual game, yes?

Double edit: I'm also not sure how I'm feeling on using default tilesets if one is allowed to custom enemy graphics. At the least wouldn't it be feasible to allow mixing the vanilla tilesets together?

Quietus

Maybe that could be another competition - just getting a hack completed. :^_^:

Lunaria

So to clarify, we can make new tilesets and tile tables as long as we don't add any new graphics?

FullOfFail

Note: Rules have changed slightly due to a majority in the IRC. Mixed tilesets are now accepted. Just to reiterate what a mixed tileset is, it's a combination using multiple tilesets from within the Super Metroid tile-sheets. Eris would be a good example of what this can accomplish.

Quietus

So, perhaps we could just get a patch that repoints the graphics, and have every tile in the game in one set. :grin:

Yuki

I was wondering, if we can customize enemies, can we customize item GFX as well?

passarbye

Quote from: Quietus on August 01, 2013, 11:52:51 AM
So, perhaps we could just get a patch that repoints the graphics, and have every tile in the game in one set. :grin:
this would be FUCKING AWESOME!  :portal:

also, count me in.

Daltone

well im out,
shit hit the fan for me, someone broke in and robbed me last night on top of all kinds of other shit. maybe next time

Quietus

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Daltone on August 01, 2013, 07:03:01 PM
well im out,
shit hit the fan for me, someone broke in and robbed me last night on top of all kinds of other shit. maybe next time
Well that's awful. Hope you've got decent insurance, or actually get you shit back.

Also, did I mention I'm entering? In case it wasn't obvious. . .

Crashtour99

Quote from: passarbye on August 01, 2013, 01:58:19 PM
Quote from: Quietus on August 01, 2013, 11:52:51 AM
this would be FUCKING AWESOME!  :portal:
It's also absolutely impossible.  There is only so much room in VRAM, and the engine is designed to only transfer gfx sheets up to a certain size limit.  The biggest you can have is a set like Maridia, as it hits the maximum.

Quietus

Hey, stop crushing our futile dreams and wishes! :nowai:

Nothing's impossible!  Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to finish nailing this jelly to a tree...

MetroidMst

Quote from: Quietus on August 02, 2013, 05:18:32 AM
Hey, stop crushing our futile dreams and wishes! :nowai:
That is my job. :grin:
The pain train is already almost completed. I certainly hope we see a Quietus playthrough of it!

Quietus

Hehe, give me time.  I currently trying to Factor other things into my life. :wink: