News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Super Metroid YPR v1.02

Started by FullOfFail, July 10, 2013, 11:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullOfFail

Just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention that a new hack has been released.

Author: YP
Title: Super Metroid YPR
Release Date: July 7, 2013

Get it here:
Super Metroid YPR 1.02

Original Link:
Super Metroid YPR Zip (Japanese)

(Side Note: The original zip has a Read Me, but I can't translate it. If someone can, I'll add it to the description.)

Parabox

I can't even open it with proper encoding. If I could, I could probably do a rough translation.

Quietus

I tried too, but just got the same gibberish I'm assuming you guys got. :neutral:

M1CR0H4CK3R

I had to chang my OS's "System Locale" to view it, but here:

Super Metroid YPR

DLありがとうございますヽ(`Д´)ノ

スパメトのハーフハックです。

■ヘッダーなしROMに当ててください。

■難易度
ちょいムズ
NBMB可能(最初の鳥人像以外のボス、中ボスを倒さずにクリア)

■必須テクニック
壁蹴り
クイックブースト(2踏み程度)
シャインスパーク

※全アイテム回収となるとさらに高度なテクニックを要求します。

■アイテム回収
100%+α?

■既知の不具合
マップが壊れる。゚(゚´Д`゚)゚。
その他プレイに支障のない小さな不具合

■スペシャルサンクス
エモドラン
トライチ
Skirt Box

■仕様パッチ
Message Box v1 by Kejardon
EndgameBTS by squishy_ichigo

↓↓軽いネタバレ↓↓

■NBMBでの全アイテム回収について
このハックではNBMBで全アイテム回収ができます。
ボスを倒さないと取れないアイテムはスルーしても大丈夫です。他の場所で補完されます。(スポスポ後、クレイド後、ファントゥーン後)

enjoy!

Translate away! :D

Smiley

[spoiler=Google Translate]Super Metroid YPR

ヽ Thank you DL (`Д ') Bruno

It is a half hack Supameto.

■ Please against the ROM without header.

■ difficulty
Chelmsford Choi
(Clear without killing boss Birdman image other than the first, the middle boss) NBMB possible

■ Required technique
The kick wall
Quick boost (about stepping 2)
Shine Spark

※ to submit a request for more advanced techniques when it comes to all the items recovered.

■ Item recovery
100% + α?

■ a known bug
. ° (° 'Д `°) the map is broken °.
Minor bug does not impede the other play

■ Special Thanks
Emodoran
Toraichi
Skirt Box

■ Specifications patch

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ light spoiler

■ for all items collected in NBMB
I can be all the items recovered in the NBMB in this hack.
Items that can not be taken that it does not defeat the boss is ok to through. It is complemented elsewhere. (Suposupo after clade after fan after Thun)

enjoy![/spoiler]

And I attempted to improve the translation a bit...
[spoiler=Not so Engrish]
Super Metroid YPR

ヽ Thank you DL (`Д ') Bruno

This is a half hack of Super Metroid

■ Use a headerless ROM to patch the hack

■ difficulty
Chelmsford Choi
(Clear without killing boss Birdman image other than the first, the middle boss) NBMB possible
(?!?The bomb Torizo is the only mandatory boss?!?)

■ Required techniques
Wall jump
Short charge (Take a step before holding the run button to Speedboost faster)
Shine Spark

※ to submit a request for more advanced techniques when it comes to all the items recovered. (?!?)

■ Item recovery
100% + α? (100% is possible, maybe even 101%?)

■ a known bug
The map is broken.
Minor bug, does not impede the rest of the game

■ Special Thanks
Emodoran
Toraichi
Skirt Box

■ Used patches

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ light spoiler

■ for all items collected in NBMB
I can be all the items recovered in the NBMB in this hack.
Items that can not be taken that it does not defeat the boss is ok to through. It is complemented elsewhere. (Suposupo after clade after fan after Thun)
(A NBMB run is possible and boss items can be skipped?)

enjoy![/spoiler]

Quietus

Quote from: SMILEuser96 on July 11, 2013, 04:25:12 PM※ to submit a request for more advanced techniques when it comes to all the items recovered. (?!?)
I believe this part is saying that you'll need more advanced techniques if you want to get 100%.
Quote from: SMILEuser96 on July 11, 2013, 04:25:12 PMI can be all the items recovered in the NBMB in this hack.
(A NBMB run is possible and boss items can be skipped?)
... and I believe that this is saying that you can do a NBMB run, and still get 100% items, as all those items granted by the bosses are also obtainable elsewhere. :^_^:

passarbye

from the screenies, it looks pretty good. anyone played it through yet?

Smiley

I'm liking this hack so far. I got Grapple just a while ago and now I'm trying to figure where I'm supposed to go now. This is quite challenging, but not too hard. Spore Spawn was a bitch before I figured out a good strategy against it, after that it was simply[spoiler]standing in one spot and spamming missiles.[/spoiler]

Quote from: passarbyefrom the screenies, it looks pretty good
Look at this absolutely amazing and varied tiling!

Quietus

I recognise that as being near the irritating maze with the Spazer. :neutral:

Vismund Cygnus

Well, I have to say, so far the hack is alright. Could be better, could be worse. Some of the tilesets haven't been that varied, and I'm not a huge fan of the palettes. The hack itself is pretty good for a half-hack; although it seems as if a few of the rooms have hardly been changed at all. IMO it's ugly, but that's just me I think.
[spoiler=Also]Also I died against Spore Spawn. Yup.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Also Also]

To me this looks strange.

As for this, I think it's... odd, to say the least. Why not make, cocoon tiles?
[/spoiler]

M1CR0H4CK3R

I cannot for the life of me find a way through these guys. SMILE says they have no vulnerabilities, there is no other State, and there is no other way into that room! The problem:

Quietus

Kagoball! :^_^:
[spoiler]Jump straight up, press down, and then press down again just before hitting them.  You should morph straight through them.  At least it should work, since they're enemies...  Also, make sure you save a state before trying it, in case it's a permastuck.[/spoiler]

M1CR0H4CK3R

Doh! I didn't think of that! I think Kagoball is underrequired in hacks these days...

Smiley

Underrequired? If you ask me, games should never rely on glitches to progress or even get optional items, unless they make some sort of sence.

Scyzer

I have been playing this hack recently, and making a few videos for it. I regret every moment of it. Why you ask?

[spoiler]
The game gives very little hint on where to go next. When the only way forward is vastly hidden, and you finally do find it, you'll think it's not the way forward because the way around is some stupid glitch or insanely difficult trick.

[spoiler=The ending]
The game ends abruptly after Ridley. There is no warning to it. Kill a zebetite, blow up the planet. gg no re.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=The 100% Corridor]
This is where you go if you happen to get 100%. Highly unlikely, because many items are very well hidden with no hint (graphical or map), and some require game glitches such as kagoball or GGG.
If you do happen to get 100%? Well done. You've successfully used SMILE to find every item in the game, or know enough about ASM to hack the routine which opens the door in that room.

[spoiler=As for what's in this room?]
Tourian. Only a few rooms though.
On the right is the ending for a NBMB run. That room is bland at best, and honestly looks less like a room than a ROTW joke entry.
The left path takes you to Gold (Black) Torizo. If you got to this point, and havent already pulled out your hair, you can start pulling soon. This boss is weak to just 3 weapons. Missiles, Supers and Charged Screw Attack. Torizo will dodge the first two without fail, which leaves just the latter. Not only is this attack relatively weak (dealing only about $C0 damage to an enemy with about $4000 HP), but it can't actually kill him. You must deal the finishing blow with a regular beam shot. This is made even more frustrating by the fact that Torizo has only one (shitty) palette which doesn't change as he takes damage, so you can't even tell roughly how much HP he has left.
Overall, you're looking at a 30-40 minute fight. Have fun with that.

[spoiler=Oh, and the reward?"]
Hyper Beam.
[/spoiler]

It's not the end of the game though. You must now go back around the entire planet to Ridley, using only the Hyper Beam, to finish the game.
[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

It's a fun hack at times, but otherwise frustrating at best. Overall, well done to the creator, but this hacks needs some serious adjustments.

[Spoiler=A fun little note]
There are also many easter eggs hidden around the planet in the form of nintendo characters, icons, etc. Some of these are quite well done.
So far I've found: Creepers, Kirby, Chain Chomp, Samus' Helmet, NES Mario, Mickey Mouse, Winney The Pooh. There's also a brilliant Chimera which is part of the main path.

MetroidMst

Just finished the hack myself in 4:40 something with 78%.

[spoiler=My thoughts?]Dear lord avoid this hack.

[spoiler=No really]I cannot recommend this hack to anyone. It does have some interesting stuff in it, and some bosses are actually challenging for once, but no. Save yourself.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

Yeah. So I stopped playing.
[spoiler=Prepare for opinionated ranting]I don't like this hack at all. At least SLT was meant to be frustrating. (I think.) There are far too many bad palettes, bland rooms and badly designed everythings.
The only thing going for this hack really is the bosses. Actually dying against bosses is an interesting feeling. But I can't continue playing it, because holy cow this hack is frustrating. And not the "I am enjoying the challenge this poses" kind of frustrating, more the "oh my god why is this so horrible" kind of frustrating. Kagoball should never be required in a hack ever, except maybe to get 101%. Kind of like the Revolution EX "use the save station and reset the game in order to continue" thing. A good idea, but it should never be a requirement.
Overall this hack seems to be a lot of good ideas, but poorly executed. Will I actually finish it? Maybe eventually. Knowing now that the hack ends at Ridley means that I might actually attempt to continue through sheer willpower.
Did I mention I don't like this? Maybe I'm being to critical, seeing as he's done more than I have on anything, but I expect that when I play a hack it will be enjoyable. Sorry Mr. Japanese Man Who Will Never Read This. Your hack was not enjoyable.[/spoiler]

snibsnib

Finished. 3:03, 64%. Mind you that was with heavy savestate and slowdown abuse.

My opinion:
[spoiler]
The Pros:

The boss battles, apart from being a bit too hard were all very good.
The easter eggs were a nice surprise.
In my opinion the puzzles were the best part of the hack, they were generally pretty interesting and most of them provided a decent level of difficulty without being impossible.

The Cons:

This hack was very, very difficult. The enemies near the end had an absurd amount of damage and health and killed me more than a few times while playing on 50% speed. The hack also seemed to have no sense of direction, I spent most of my time trying to find power bombs, and a way into wrecked ship. And I felt like I was using IBJ and gate glitches far too much.

Side note: The murder beam has a much bigger hitbox in this hack than it does in the regular game. At least according to PJBoy's Hitbox lua script. I just thought that was interesting as I haven't seen it happen in any other hacks,
[/spoiler]

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on July 14, 2013, 01:39:10 AM
Yeah. So I stopped playing.

Me too. After Crocomire, I started looking for all the items, and found out that at least 12 required insanely hard tricks and/or glitches in order to get. I basically ragequit after trying to get in the green door in Brinstar that required a pixel perfect machball to reach.

DonnyDonovan

I played through the super missiles, got varia, looped around the planet twice trying to figure out where to go next, and after reading the thread decided I'll probably find something else to play.

Jordan5

I sequence broke to get to Kraid without grapple, probably the most fun Kraid battle ever. :grin: The rest of the hack so far, however, is quite awful.

Riffman81

Spent most of my day off playing through this one. To me (and I don't know about the rest of you) but I'd call this hack a beautiful mess! :grin: It certainly has some interesting idea's and some of the puzzles kept me busy, but there were times when I wanted to put my fist through the monitor! Overall, it's very unbalanced and the good simply does not out rank the bad. And whats with some of the palettes used? Very ugly to look at IMO. Requiring the player to rely on glitches to complete a certain task to me is game-breaking and quite honestly a deal breaker for me. Leave that shit to the "more experienced" players. The more casual players may have a lot of difficulty and therefore decide to throw in the towel as i have done with this one. I quit playing without finishing. Overall, it needs work and certainly isn't one of the better SM hacks I've played.

Eppy37

Got to Ridley and pretty much Rage-Quit. Can't even get him to half health without dying.

Cloud20

Quote from: Eppy37 on July 18, 2013, 07:00:45 AM
Got to Ridley and pretty much Rage-Quit. Can't even get him to half health without dying.

I'm stucked at the same point. :/

Some enigmas are interesting but the main complain I must do is about unbalanced difficulty of bosses in general, like Crocomire. REALLY PAINFUL  :mad:

GoldenTorizo

Finished the hack, and I didn't like it. If I have to cheat in order to beat the game, then you know somethings wrong. Normally I don't use cheat codes in Super Metroid, but here I had to make an exception.