News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

To those with 'Lets Play' Youtube Channels:

Started by Digital_Mantra, May 17, 2013, 04:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

Well, that's one way to win more fans when your company is already struggling, right? :neutral:

Fizzer

It's very good of them to allow people to use their content creatively, in a world where most companies now ban such activity completely. It is very like Nintendo to allow people to use their intellectual property freely. When it comes to any money made from Let's Play videos of Nintendo games, I think it is rightfully Nintendo's, or 99% of it is anyway, so them taking that is not a problem.

Zero One

Considering this affects me, I'm just gonna point out the fact that YouTube explicitly states that you can't monetise videos of game footage without permission from the IP owner. Nintendo is merely exercising their rights.

Besides, there's a large list of companies that allow monetisation. All Valve games can be freely monetised, Blizzard allows it, Mojang allows it, provided it has something like audio commentary over it, Epic Games allows it...

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Fizzer on May 17, 2013, 05:19:57 PM
I think it is rightfully Nintendo's, or 99% of it is anyway, so them taking that is not a problem.

I agree 100%, what could concern some LP'ers is a 'sudden youtube violation' before being contacted through proper protocols as to what company will monetize,
if the youtuber is a partner or not. A sudden youtube violation sucks, hard. It would mean that out of nowhere a strike to the channel is unwarrantably cast,
causing the youtuber to deal with video time restrictions, etc. All in all, I don't see many problems with what Nintendo is doing, but youtube can be a bitch.