News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Android Port (ALPHA) (Shelved)

Started by Decayed, May 12, 2013, 12:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decayed

Sorry guys but I'm just not too good of a programmer. But if you are then go down and you will find the source of this project.
Hope I did not get your hopes too high. My next project ProjectM2Engine or M2E for short, will be released hopefully soon.

Source (Has tons of bugs)

Idea has been Sheleved for now.
[spoiler]Hello Metroid Construction Forums! Today I will be displaying my new (hopefully) open source Android (Phone) Engine. This is in early ALPHA stages. So please don't bug me about common features. As for the engine. It will only have the .APK release during the alpha stage. Once we go into beta stage then the game and it's source will be released. Please keep in mind that you will new Game Maker: Studio - Professional to edit the game and run your edited builds. This game like I said is in really early alpha. So the animations are really short at the moment. Actually I can fit all the animation frames from 1 side all in one picture. Of course the engine does not just have Left side animations all the frames are either edited in Game Maker by being flipped. Most(or all) of the Samus sprites were made my Infinity's End. Any ways. Still building the new engine so I cannot supply any pictures. But I will once I test and bug-fix the new build. Any ways. Please enjoy all the animation frames that are (Currently) included in the engine. Morphball should be added by the next update. Same goes for the Tilting function.

[/spoiler]
CHECK LIST (Submit stuff!)
[spoiler]Samus Sprites [Yes, but not all]
Enemy Sprites [No]
Ship Sprites    [No]
Beam Sprites   [No, except Power Beam]
Misc Sprites    [No]
Sounds          [No]
Masks            [No]
Engine          [Almost]
Logo            [Pretty Please] The original sucks. xD
[/spoiler]
OLD POST (Really hideous.)
[spoiler]Well, I've ported Metroid onto Android. Not the Kousoru Engine sadly. But this will do, I will add on to the more and more.
SCREENSHOTS

Just an animation frame.

Another frame. Nothing but frames pretty much. . .

Like I said. Not too surprising.

MADE IN: Game Maker: Studio - Professional Editon (v1.1.929)
FILE TYPE: .apk
DOWNLOAD: HERE!
You need ASTRO File Manager to install the APK file.[/spoiler]

Jordan5

where are the l and r buttons? :pwuh:

Quietus

And to avoid the minor annoyance of purists, you'll want to switch the A+B buttons and the X+Y buttons, so that they match the original SNES controller's layout. :^_^:

Decayed

Quote from: Jordan5 on May 12, 2013, 04:40:18 PM
where are the l and r buttons? :pwuh:
This is early alpha so keep in mind that not all features are implemented. But to aim Diagonally is currently the (Y) button. No button for missles.

Quote from: Quietus on May 12, 2013, 04:55:46 PM
And to avoid the minor annoyance of purists, you'll want to switch the A+B buttons and the X+Y buttons, so that they match the original SNES controller's layout. :^_^:
Aha, thanks. I'm re-writing the entire engine so I will be sure to note that :D

Scyzer

Use the tilt motion sensor on Android as L and R :3

Decayed

Quote from: Scyzer on May 12, 2013, 05:34:13 PM
Use the tilt motion sensor on Android as L and R :3
Well the problem is, not all Android Devices have a motion sensor in it. And I'm trying to make the game compatible with all devices. Sorry :(

Parabox

You could make it optional, unless it's such a pain to code that you have to go for the minimal amount of functions.

Zhs2

I wasn't even aware that some android devices don't have motion sensors. Would it only be in devices manufactured after a certain date? I wonder this because I know of a good number of applications that use features like "shake" or "tilt" as additional controls (tilt is mostly for screen orientation, though.)

This is interesting regardless. Nice work!

snarfblam

Am I the only one that can't stand touch-screen "buttons" for gaming? I'd rather see a video, but screenies look good so far.

Decayed

Quote from: snarfblam on May 13, 2013, 05:29:22 PM
Am I the only one that can't stand touch-screen "buttons" for gaming? I'd rather see a video, but screenies look good so far.
Yeah, I'm not too fond of touch screen controls. But If you have an Xperia PLAY then you can play this with the physical buttons. And if you don't like the design you can send me some new art for them and I can implement them. But they must be 32x32. And also the buttons (not arrows) have new sprites :D
Tell me what you think.
They now follow the real SNES layout.

Quietus

Quote from: snarfblam on May 13, 2013, 05:29:22 PMAm I the only one that can't stand touch-screen "buttons" for gaming?
I guess it depends entirely upon the game.  I would imagine that something like Super Metroid would be all but impossible to play in any fluid manner, simply due to the frequent use of multiple controls at once.

Quote from: Decayed on May 13, 2013, 05:33:45 PMTell me what you think.
If I'm being honest, they could use a bit of work.  I think they'd look better if your letters didn't quite touch the edges of the circles, and the letters could do with some more styling.  The X looks OK, as does the Y, but the other two look pretty rough. :neutral:

Decayed

Quote from: Quietus on May 13, 2013, 06:29:21 PM
If I'm being honest, they could use a bit of work.  I think they'd look better if your letters didn't quite touch the edges of the circles, and the letters could do with some more styling.  The X looks OK, as does the Y, but the other two look pretty rough. :neutral:
Thanks for the feedback. I got the old sprites. Switched potions. And recolored them. Hopefully this looks better.

passarbye

Quote from: snarfblam on May 13, 2013, 05:29:22 PM
depends on the game, as quietus said. i have an ipod touch that isn't too bad with games, but i'd rather have an actual controller and video out to a tv.

Quietus

Quote from: Decayed on May 13, 2013, 06:59:51 PMHopefully this looks better.

I was actually thinking of something more immediately recognisable as the SNES buttons, to add to the feeling of playing Super Metroid.  I don't think I have the alignment exactly right for the octagons, but this will give you an idea of what I meant:

Hope it helps. :^_^:

Quietus

Shelved?  And I spent all those minutes drawing colourful octagons for you. :wink:

Decayed

Quote from: Quietus on May 16, 2013, 05:20:05 AM
Shelved?  And I spent all those minutes drawing colourful octagons for you. :wink:
I'm really sorry :( I will try to continue it. But atleast I posted the source :D Again, sorry :(

Quietus

I'm just messin' with you.  It's all good.  At least you're producing something, unlike some lazy oiks round here. :blush:

Benki

Quote from: Quietus on May 16, 2013, 05:07:50 PM
I'm just messin' with you.  It's all good.  At least you're producing something, unlike some lazy oiks round here. :blush:
Who you calling lazy oik?  :lol:

Quietus