News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Bombs for Power Bombs

Started by QuarterCircleMetroid, June 24, 2013, 01:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuarterCircleMetroid

Is there a way to make bombs required for Power Bombs to work? Like if I give the player PB's early, but they won't function until the player gets the bombs?

Quote58

That would be easy with a little asm, dunno if you can do it without though.

Quietus

If you are acquiring Power Bombs, but aren't going to be able to use them until you get Bombs, you could potentially just have the one Power-up provide both items.  Or do you intend for players to have useless Power Bombs for some reason?

MetroidMst

Quote from: Quietus on June 24, 2013, 11:59:14 AM
Or do you intend for players to have useless Power Bombs for some reason?
This.

I don't want to sound harsh, but this is a dumb idea. If a player gets an item, they should be able to use it. Nothing is worse than having an item and not being able to use for dumb, arbitrary reasons. This whole thing sounds like 50 shades of Other M. Oh hey, here are some Power Bombs. DON'T USE THEM! YOU AREN'T AUTHORIZED! Why? Well. . . BECAUSE YOU AREN'T!

Seriously, there is no reason for this and I hope you decide against using this idea.

personitis

Quote from: Shadow96 on June 24, 2013, 11:27:48 AM
That would be easy with a little asm, dunno if you can do it without though.
One day I was nosing through the power bomb routine and if the regular bombing routine has any similarities (and iirc) then it would be as simple as one, two, or three hex tweaks. Of course these haven't been discovered yet and I also advise you not to take my word on this.

P.JBoy

One way would be to make collecting power bombs check if Samus has bombs, and execute as normal; but if she doesn't, then set an unused bit, or set a flag in an unused RAM address, then when collecting bombs, it check for this bit, and if it's set, give power bombs as well, else don't

QuarterCircleMetroid

Quote from: MetroidMst on June 24, 2013, 12:16:36 PM
Quote from: Quietus on June 24, 2013, 11:59:14 AM
Or do you intend for players to have useless Power Bombs for some reason?
This.

I don't want to sound harsh, but this is a dumb idea. If a player gets an item, they should be able to use it. Nothing is worse than having an item and not being able to use for dumb, arbitrary reasons. This whole thing sounds like 50 shades of Other M. Oh hey, here are some Power Bombs. DON'T USE THEM! YOU AREN'T AUTHORIZED! Why? Well. . . BECAUSE YOU AREN'T!

Seriously, there is no reason for this and I hope you decide against using this idea.

It worked well in Zero Mission, where you couldn't use Space Jump or Gravity Suit or Plasma Beam until you got Samus' Power Suit back, but you were still able to collect them. Anyways, I wasn't planning on implementing it, just thought it would be an interesting thought for future reference.

Smiley

It worked in Zero Mission, because 1) you couldn't recognize the items (unless you were a hardcore Metroid fan and recognized them by their shape only) and 2) they still did something: allowed you to break certain blocks. It also worked in Super Zero Mission for the same reasons.
It could, perhaps, work with the Morph Ball, if done right.