News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hey guys I'm playing Trilogy on my PC AM I COOL YET

Started by FlamingCobra, April 23, 2013, 01:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

Any hints as to what we're supposed to be looking at?  I'm guessing it's the reticle? :O_o:

Zero One

There is that weird blue streak behind the silhouette of the Space Pirate. I'm quite certain that shouldn't be there.

FlamingCobra

That's the stealth pirate's melee weapon. I'm certain that is supposed to be there.

The framerate might be one thing to notice. I'm running the PAL version of metroid prime trilogy, so my performance is already way less than the gamecube version (cuz trilogy) and then it's ten fps less than the NTSC (cuz PAL)

I get an average of 30-40 FPS in the Chozo ruins and an average of 30 fps in Phendrana drifts. Maybe 20-30 in pirate base.

EDIT:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Is there supposed to be hunter metroids in the Ice Caves?

Zero One

I'm quite certain that PAL MPT and NTSC MPT run at the same framerate; most, if not all newer TVs in a PAL region are capable of outputting at 60fps (see PAL60), but pardon me if I'm wrong.

And yes, there are supposed to be Hunter Metroids in the Ice Cavern. However, I fail to see any connection between playing MPT on an emulator and actually hacking it.

FlamingCobra

Quote from: Zero One on April 23, 2013, 01:48:55 PM
I'm quite certain that PAL MPT and NTSC MPT run at the same framerate; most, if not all newer TVs in a PAL region are capable of outputting at 60fps (see PAL60), but pardon me if I'm wrong.

And yes, there are supposed to be Hunter Metroids in the Ice Cavern. However, I fail to see any connection between playing MPT on an emulator and actually hacking it.

All in good time. The first thing I'm probably going to try to do is remove the water/reflection effects on the hud whenever it is raining or you go under or come out of water.
Raindrops/Splashes on the hud butcher your frame rate. You can be playing at 50fps and slip and fall in water and as soon as there splashes on your hud you'll drop to 8 frames per second.

Other optimizations will likely follow.

Quietus

Perhaps I'm just having a senior moment, but what exactly have you hacked that we're supposed to be looking at?

FlamingCobra

Quote from: Quietus on April 23, 2013, 02:12:47 PM
Perhaps I'm just having a senior moment, but what exactly have you hacked that we're supposed to be looking at?

oh. nothing yet. Just showing that I can run Trilogy at a decent speed. Trilogy is much more intensive than the Primes on GameCube. However, there is the advantage of being able to set up the game to play with a keyboard and mouse like a normal PC game.

Quietus

Oh, then without wishing to grumble, perhaps Talk of the Day might be better than here, where we expect hacking, hacking, and more hacking. :^_^:

passarbye

Quote from: FlamingCobra on April 23, 2013, 03:32:48 PM
However, there is the advantage of being able to set up the game to play with a keyboard and mouse like a normal PC game.
you have me interested. if you ever do find a way to optimize the game for PC (better performance on dolphin) then please let us know.

FlamingCobra

Quote from: passarbye on April 23, 2013, 05:16:36 PM
Quote from: FlamingCobra on April 23, 2013, 03:32:48 PM
However, there is the advantage of being able to set up the game to play with a keyboard and mouse like a normal PC game.
you have me interested. if you ever do find a way to optimize the game for PC (better performance on dolphin) then please let us know.
what I'm more interested in is this "custom Dolphin emulator which has been optimized to run on my machine with a "decent" framerate of between 20 and 30 FPS."
I was on the Dolphin IRC the other day and they said there's not much they can do on the emulator end.
But perhaps this discussion would be better suited to another topic titled "Metroid Prime / Prime Trilogy optimization"

Benki

Quote from: Zero One on April 23, 2013, 01:48:55 PM

http://www.diffen.com/difference/NTSC_vs_PAL
Why didn't you get the NTSC version?