News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Adding/Removing enemies from specific room states

Started by Vismund Cygnus, April 28, 2013, 09:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vismund Cygnus

Hey, I'm here to annoy you again.
Basically, I'd like to know whether there's a way to remove enemies/PLMs from a room state, while keeping them in another. More importantly I'd like to know how to do it hahaha. I'm trying to change the route for the beginning of the game (getting missiles/morph), without having pesky enemies in the way, and without having to create new rooms entirely. If there's a way around this that someone knows, it'd be extremely helpful.
With love, Vis.

Smiley

You can change the appropiate pointers for every individual state.

Vismund Cygnus

Oh wow.  :whoa: That was awful of me. As a note to everyone else, this is why you don't attempt new things at 2am. Thank you for the help! I'll endeavour to not be silly before I post things like this.

Szandor

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on April 28, 2013, 09:57:32 AM
Oh wow.  :whoa: That was awful of me. As a note to everyone else, this is why you don't attempt new things at 2am. Thank you for the help! I'll endeavour to not be silly before I post things like this.

2AM is good at new idea innovation, but really bad at trying to implement those ideas. I've lost count of the number of times I've spent hours in the middle of the night on a problem only to solve it in 15 minutes in the morning.  :lol:

personitis

If you're looking for a way to remove enemies from a room, there are quite a few ways to go about this. You could, as SMILEUser suggested, swap the pointers between two rooms. This is good if you want a bigger PLM count/pointer for a later room. There is also the option of using the built in "PLM +/-" feature which adds/subtracts from the items in the room (though if you exceed the amount of PLMs already set by the pointer, you're very likely to break something). Finally, you could always move the enemies off screen or somewhere they can't be seen and set the to be "non-responsive."You could also create your own pointers...

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Szandor on April 28, 2013, 04:41:46 PM

2AM is good at new idea innovation, but really bad at trying to implement those ideas. I've lost count of the number of times I've spent hours in the middle of the night on a problem only to solve it in 15 minutes in the morning.  :lol:
And this right here is exactly what happened. Normally I'd write down what I think of at night and work out how to solve it in the morning, but it was one of those sleepless kinds of nights last night.

Quote from: person701 on April 28, 2013, 05:25:15 PM
If you're looking for a way to remove enemies from a room, there are quite a few ways to go about this. You could, as SMILEUser suggested, swap the pointers between two rooms. This is good if you want a bigger PLM count/pointer for a later room. There is also the option of using the built in "PLM +/-" feature which adds/subtracts from the items in the room (though if you exceed the amount of PLMs already set by the pointer, you're very likely to break something). Finally, you could always move the enemies off screen or somewhere they can't be seen and set the to be "non-responsive."You could also create your own pointers...
The problem with certain rooms and the "PLM +/-" is that for certain rooms you simply can't remove all of the enemies (this is what the original issue I was having was, that lead me to frustration). I ended up editing the pointers, everything seems to be working fine now. Although your idea of moving them off the screen would've been a hell of a lot simpler, albeit messier. I'm still getting used to fiddling with pointers, I'm not terribly good at it yet. Still, practice makes perfect!  :grin:

personitis

Yes, there's a slight bump when trying to remove all PLMs in a room with the +/- feature. Instead of setting the count to 0, what you'll need to do is have the room share a PLM pointer with another room that has no PLMs. As for moving PLMs off-screen, it wouldn't look so messy if you changed them to something like the red scroll arrows which are invisible while in game. Just some thoughts. Also yes.
Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on April 29, 2013, 01:18:07 AMStill, practice makes perfect!  :grin: