News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Introduce Yourself!

Started by Phazar, May 17, 2009, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

Welcome, Kazuto. If you are indeed the same Rakki, I believe you are primarily credited here for the door transition speed up patch. :^_^:

Zero One

A patch I know and love quite a bit. Good work on that!

Steel Sparkle

Welcome Kazuto. Glad to see another member on this site. Look forward to anything you might make.
He made the speed up patch? that's cool.

Kazuto

I'm always happy to see somebody use it, too.  ;)  Incidentally, I've got another "version" of it incoming which can speed up centering the door on-screen (something I realized I didn't do in the first place), and a modification that doubles the pause/unpause speed (which I thought I DID originally include).  Everything but the door slide just modifies existing code, meaning they'll work on existing games.

The slide speedup requires branching to free space, but it's in bank $82 which is generally not touched by hackers, so it should work on most games without issue.  It'll be available in xkas form, anyway, so in case there would be a conflict, it can just be moved.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

Aran;Jaeger

Quote from: Kazuto on May 25, 2016, 03:59:15 PM
and a modification that doubles the pause/unpause speed

In the original game, so with original speed of the screen fading in/out, Samus cannot die if her health is at 00 while pausing/unpausing the game, and luckily there is exactly 1 frame after unpausing the game with 00 health in which one can press Start to pause the game again (which is the first possible frame to pause the game after unpausing it), in order to chain such pausing and unpausing to survive with 00 health for an indefinite time. Now, if the time period in which Samus cannot die would stay the same, but the screen would fade in/out faster, together with the ability to re-pause the game faster after unpausing it, it would increase the frame-wise Start press leniency and hence might make permanent pause abuse humanly doable.  :grin:

Gemini Shadows

Figured I should probably introduce myself at some point, and now's as good a time as any.

Hi, I'm Gemini Shadows. I'm a programmer by trade, but I spend most of my free time playing and analyzing games, creating art and watching random YouTube videos (mostly of games). I play and watch a wide variety of games, but Metroid is one of my favorite game series (if not my most), with Zero Mission getting most of my attention in the ways of replays and speedruns. I'm actually working on a few Metroid related projects at the moment, but I'll get more into those once I make some major progress.

I'm not much into actually hacking the games myself, but a combination of that and the YouTube video watching is what caused me to end up around here. I've actually been lurking for a while, but I signed up for an account because I was interested in joining in with the conversations (and also with the IRC). I'll probably mostly just be on there since I don't talk all that much, but I'll be around here from time to time.

Anyway, I hope to have a great time here, and looking forward to chatting with you all!

Quietus

Welcome to MetConst, Gemini Shadows. :^_^:

Golden Warrior

Well, I registered in February, but haven't done anything until now... So, introduction then. So, as my user name shows, I use Golden Warrior pretty much everywhere, but at this point myself and most everyone else has shortened it to just Gold. I enjoy most genres of games, but simply due to how I got into gaming I happen to be mostly Nintendo loyal. Still, I will play most games if I get the chance.

Lately, I've been trying to practice programming and game design in general before going to a college that will hopefully let me perfect those skills. Until then, I've decided to spend my free time messing with Metroid hacking, Fire Emblem hacking, and Zelda Classic. Some of you may recognize me from PureZC... although unlikely given the rate that I post there. I can't promise to be very active, but I am working on a Zero Mission hack and I certainly hope it will be one people can enjoy (and critique so I can better my game design skills. I'm selfish like that apparently).

Not sure what else to say. Thanks for having me!

Quietus

Welcome to the forum, Golden Warrior. You are officially 2/3 of my favourite Master System game. :^_^:

Golden Warrior

Quote from: Quietus on June 21, 2016, 08:55:57 PM
Welcome to the forum, Golden Warrior. You are officially 2/3 of my favourite Master System game. :^_^:

Well, at least I'm not 2/3 of your favorite basketball team, that's the one I'm more used to seeing. Although, I prefer swords to axes thanks.  :razz:

SavageWizzrobe

Hello MetConst!

I've been lurking on here for a while but finally joined just recently.

I did some programming in school and I loved Super Metroid, so I started playing around with SMILE in early 2013 and decided to work on a serious hack. I finished all the areas except for Tourian (I completed a few rooms) when my hard drive died in late 2014 and I lost everything except the hacked ROM itself, which I had backed up to a USB stick. In particular, I lost my motivation.

I took a year off of hacking and decided to finish school and try out other experiences, such as speedrunning Ocarina of Time and playing Dungeons & Dragons.

Last month, I found the USB stick with my unfinished hack on it, and that moment motivated me to finish it off once and for all.

If anything, my story shows the reason for making backups in places other than your hard drive!

Quietus

Quote from: Golden Warrior on June 21, 2016, 10:11:19 PMI prefer swords to axes thanks.  :razz:
As long as it gets the job done. :grin:

Silver Skree

dronesplitter

I'm dronesplitter. I'm just a gamer, not a hacker, so sadly I'll likely never make my own Super Metroid game any time soon.

This site has introduced me to a lot of great hacks, though, so I'm really grateful for all the work others are doing with one of the best games ever made to keep it alive.

I also wanted to tell people that I recently played an indie game called Elliot Quest that is clearly inspired by Metroid in how it was made, so I strongly recommend playing it if you haven't heard of it before. It's a bit like Zelda mixed with Metroid, but the level design is very much a metroidvania.

Kei

So I'm a bit late with this but oh well. Hi I'm Kei.  I found this site about 3ish years ago and finally decided to make an account. I'm very impressed by some of the amazing hacks I've seen here. Personally they've made me a much better Metroid player. Sadly you probably won't see any hacks from me just because I don't have the time to learn. x:  Anyways, thanks for having me and cheers to gaming. ^^

Quietus

Welcome to the forum proper, Kei. May your stay continue to provide. :^_^:

Kei

Thank you, Quietus. I hope, haha. x3

Steel Sparkle

Welcome to MetConst Kei :3 nice to see a new face.

Kei

Thank you, Steel Sparkle. I'm happy to be here.  :^_^:

MetroidMst

Quote from: Kei on September 06, 2016, 10:55:21 PM
Thank you, Steel Sparkle. I'm happy to be here.  :^_^:
THAT'S RIGHT YOU'RE HAPPY TO BE HERE THERE IS METROID AND STUFF HOW COULD YOU NOT BE HAPPY

Kei

Quote from: MetroidMst on September 07, 2016, 12:19:43 AM
THAT'S RIGHT YOU'RE HAPPY TO BE HERE THERE IS METROID AND STUFF HOW COULD YOU NOT BE HAPPY
If there were not enough bubbles, oh wait.

Zero Dozer

I need to know if I need to know how to hack a Metroid game to be part of this community.

Sorry to ask, but I've been snubbed by a hacking community before... A well-known one. So, yeah, I would love to know in advance.

Mon732

Hey Zero Dozer, welcome to MetConst.
You do not need to know how to hack a Metroid game to be a part of this community, though feel free to dabble in it. :P

Zero Dozer

Nice to know. Seems I'll be sticking around then.

OneOf99

Hi! I'm OneOf99. I played Super Metroid for the first time two years ago, and now this is my favorite series of all time. I'm happy that I found this site, since making my own Metroid game has been something I have been wanting to do for some time now.