News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Introduce Yourself!

Started by Phazar, May 17, 2009, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

begrimed

Yooo Mayo, welcome to da con.

Quietus

I'll reach and shake the hand
Of newcomer, Mayo-chan.
Now done with introduction,
Let's crack on with construction.

Welcome! :^_^:

Zhs2

In this hefty topic of introduction
A lot of members joined Metroid Construction
Lots of them made hacks
And some showed their knacks
Thus, was ensured, Space Pirate destruction.

My favorite kind of poem.

DSO

Welcome Mayo-Chan, I remember catching part of your SRX Zero Mission run but then sleep schedules conflicted with catching anything else. Good to have you around!

squishy_ichigo

QuoteOther: I'm a weeaboo

What kind of stuff you like Mayo-chan?

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on February 23, 2015, 07:28:17 AM
I enjoy watching anime, though I am very picky.  Currently, my top list is: Furuba, Baccano, Madoka, Higurashi.

:awesome:?

Vismund Cygnus

My favourite anime will always be Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop. Not that I watch that much anymore.

Anyway, welcome aboard Mayo! Always good to see new faces around here. Especially ones that inspire Zeke to write things.  :lol:

Quietus

Ask a brother to try watching it, anime like it. :oh:

Mayo-chan

Oh boy, I'm not the only anime lover here. I try to watch a bit of everything, I'm currently watching G Gundam and Parasyte: The Maxim. My profile pic is Yayoi from Smile Precure, for those who were wondering. I enjoy a bit from anything, from magical girl shows for 10-year-olds to adult ultra-violence. I have no idea what I could say is a favorite of mine other than Sailor Moon, that is, the 90s dub that is so-bad-its-good. Getting the same kind of magic from G Gundam right now XD

@Squishy I'm very picky about anime too. Very rarely does a mainstream anime get my attention, they all look fake and artificial and the plots have always been too 'safe', and the fanservice is so forced it's disgusting. I've seen Madoka and Higurashi before, Madoka was amazing the first time but every time I watch it afterward it gets a worse taste. I had to stop the third time because I didn't want to hate it :P too much melodrama and everything feels forced, even with the time travel conveniently explaining everything at once. Satoko-chan a best.

@DSO My god, I had so much fun at SRX. Zero Mission is a helluva game to commentate, and I ended up distracting myself to the point where I forgot to beat Imago and ended up getting 99% at the credits. I shall definitely participate in the next marathon in the fall.

squishy_ichigo

Quote from: Mayo-chan on March 19, 2015, 08:20:14 AM
@Squishy I'm very picky about anime too. Very rarely does a mainstream anime get my attention, they all look fake and artificial and the plots have always been too 'safe', and the fan-service is so forced it's disgusting.

I know exactly what you mean, its hard for me to find new stuff that I'm interested in for that exact reason.  I haven't watched any new anime in almost a year :S. The most recent anime I think I enjoyed watching was Kill-La-Kill, by the same people who made Gurren Laggen.  I didn't know if I would like it at first, but it really grew on me, despite the 'fan-service'.  It made me squirm a bit, but I dealt with it, since the show was otherwise very good.

But for the most part, fan-service bothers me quite a bit.  I can take tasteful stuff, such as in Shinsekai Yori, which fit into the plot, and wasn't over the top (to the point, honestly, I wouldn't even call it fan-service).  But most stuff is just, uggggggh.

(At this point, I feel like we are clogging the thread with anime talk. :P  If you ever want to chat about anime you should come on irc! We discuss all sort of stuff there, and we have quite a few active members, so there's talk almost all the time.)
http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23metconst&server=irc.esper.net

Tomtroid

Hi there. I'm Tomtroid. I've been a Metroid fan since I was a little boy. My personal favorite game of the Metroid franchise is Super Metroid. Ever since I started playing some hacks of Super Metroid, I started to like exploring all the places within the hack. I'll see what everyone's got in terms of Half-hacks, Full hacks, overhauls, etc.

Cpt.Glitch

Tomtroid

Thank you very much. I'll try to enjoy it. :)

Quietus

Welcome, Tomtroid.  Super Metroid, eh?  Don't worry, it's no too tough.  Very few people say they can't hack it.

:oh:

Tomtroid

True. I don't really do any hacking, but I enjoy playing hacks. That's all.  :^_^:

Quietus

That's what we all said before we were sucked in by the temptation. :yay:

adamf

(Introduce Yourself pops up on adamf's unread threads.  adamf doesn't think he's ever actually posted in it, just started dropping patches on everyone.)

So now that you've seen me on the Collaboration Hunt and occasionally on some other random threads... I'm nominally a web developer, but I also end up running the infrastructure and updating systems when new SSL attacks are released.

I love Super Metroid a whole bunch, and discovering Mst's videos and MetConst was awesome.  Although playing hacks has taught me, pretty much, that I'm not so good at it... I still like seeing what everyone comes up with.  And I love making patches that give people options.

I also really love tweaking the code, making it do new stuff.  I'm way too lazy to write a game (or engine) on my own, but to just modify someone else's, is a manageable task and quite a lot of fun.

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: adamf on April 10, 2015, 09:05:47 PM
(Introduce Yourself pops up on adamf's unread threads.  adamf doesn't think he's ever actually posted in it, just started dropping patches on everyone.)

Quote from: adamf on February 21, 2015, 04:49:03 PM
Hey, I'm Adam.  I discovered the community a while ago... somehow... and I've been watching MetroidMst's YouTube on and off for over a year.  Lurker extraordinaire.

I'd kind of like to write my own platformer, but I'm way too lazy to actually finish such a thing.  I might not even be inclined to build my own hack... but I really enjoy digging around in the ASM and bending the game to my will.  I miss the hardcore ASM/C type programming from my younger days, now that I'm spending all day doing web development at work, so it's been a blast reading the docs and starting to code up some ideas.

I'm also learning how to write music, but sadly, I'm not very good at it yet.

:heheh:

I feel like I'm a very different person to when I joined two or so years ago, so here's the new Vismund:

Hi I'm Vismund, I am 19 and I am currently doing nothing.

adamf

I guess I'm never going to learn to search for things, either.  :lol:

On the plus side, I'll probably remember doing this and not introduce myself the first time a third time.

Quietus

Either way, you're still welcome.  Maybe, as a reminder, you could alter your personal text from '16 bits' to '2 introductions'? :^_^:

NARFNra

I guess I never did formally introduce myself, huh?

So hi, I'm NARFNra (no relation to the national rifle association), I'm a college student. I really like video games and especially video game music. My experience with Metroid probably started with the Game Boy Advance rerelease of Metroid, and Metroid Fusion. Around 6th grade I started getting the Metroid Prime games and those were really cool, and that lead me to play Super, Zero Mission, etc. The only Metroid game I've never played is Metroid II, although I never got anywhere in Hunters.

I got into game hacking years ago but I've never finished anything of note. As you may be able to tell, I like Mega Man; I've got a few projects on the back burner right now that I might finish some day. That's probably why I really started trying to make NES music/covers, once I actually had access to the tools to put them into a game I had a good reason to do so. I haven't wanted to program since I ran into frustrations at an early age, but maybe I should look into it again.

At the moment I've been fiddling around with snarfblam's Metroid Tuner, and am considering making a Metroid 1 hack. I'm worried that it won't be too great, but I'm doing my best anyway. Hope you guys have a good time!

Quietus

Welcome, NARFNra.  Happy hacking, and enjoy your stay. :^_^:

adamf

Quote from: Quietus on April 11, 2015, 07:20:52 PM
Either way, you're still welcome.  Maybe, as a reminder, you could alter your personal text from '16 bits' to '2 introductions'? :^_^:

Aw man, now I'll be stuck with that forever  :heheh:

Grimlock

Welcome to Metroid 1 hacking NARFNra.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.  You've already got a good start with the Metroid Tuner music app.  Even if you didn't decide to do a full hack your music editing abilities would be an asset to other hackers.  I personally would encourage you to start your own hack though. Here's a bit of advice:

"Begin with the end in mind"

Basically that means plan out your hack, sketch and design your areas, themes, storyline and what not.  The more time you spend on paper the less time you'll spend "build-designing", what you want to do is "design-build".  I always draw out a rough sketch of my area layouts.  When I design my graphics I draw sketching as well.  I try and plan out how to best use the limited 8x8 tiles (don't forget you can mix air and solid 8x8 tiles in structures).  Super Metroid has so many sweet looking hacks in the works I'd love to see more quality M1 hacks in the works.  If you've got any questions PM me I'll help you get rolling as best I can.  :cool:

Quietus

Quote from: adamf on April 11, 2015, 08:32:41 PMAw man, now I'll be stuck with that forever  :heheh:
Hehe, sorry! :razz: