News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Introduce Yourself!

Started by Phazar, May 17, 2009, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fe

Hello, thar!  :grin:

Heh heh, bet you guys missed me, huh? Naw, I know ya don't care. Heck, half of you are probably saying, "Who the heck is XavierSMRH?" Well, I just came here to update my status, and inform anybody who actually cares (no one) of my current position. No, I didn't quit... i just took a break. One that's still going on. I will come back here in the summer, when I'm free from school, and I've cleared my head a bit. I found this to be the wisest decision, as I was getting to stressed out; I was being bombarded with jobs/chores/work, and just blew a fuse at one point. So I'll come back in about a month... once school's ended. See you guys then! :^_^:

Quietus

Good luck with everything.

Zknight7126

Hope you can make it through!

Serris

Hi all, im a nub with S.M.I.L.E so prepare for some dumb post's... I have always liked the Metroid series, SM being the best. So after lurking here for some time & playing alot of great hacks, I decided to join the community. I have just fiddled with S.M.I.L.E and now want to learn. Hence why I joined.

Quietus

Always nice to see a newcomer.  Welcome to the forum. :^_^:

Zhs2

Quote from: Serrisdumb post's
Can't be dumber than SuperLaluigi's posting. Also, no apostrophes for plurals. :razz: Welcome to the boards, dude.

Sepharos

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 23, 2011, 08:48:21 PM
Quote from: Serrisdumb post's
Can't be dumber than SuperLaluigi's posting. Also, no apostrophes for plurals. :razz: Welcome to the boards, dude.
Why did I read that as,
"Can't be dumber than SuperLaluigi's posting. Also, no apostrophes for noobs. :razz: Welcome bastards."

fuducker81

I've been on here for a while, but i didn't share, yet.

:- About -:

My real name is Nathaniel. I'm ten years old ( turning 11 on the 24 ), and I live in West Virginia. I have one brother, and one pet.

:- Interests -:

I LOVE being on my laptop. I also love playing metroid games. The first Metroid game I've had is Metroid: Zero Mission.

:- Hacking -:

The first game I've hacked is Super Mario 64. Then I got into Metroid games. The first metroid game I've ever hacked is
Metroid: Zero Mission.  Then I got into Super Metroid. I've retired in MZM hacking and I'm now into Super M hacking.

:- Pics -:

Thats Sadee, our dog.

Thats Me and Sadee. She's pretty ittellagent.

Thats Me, on the right, and my bro on the left.

Quietus

Quote from: fuducker81 on June 05, 2011, 11:21:21 AMI've been on here for a while, but i didn't share, yet.

:- Pics -:
Dogs rule. :cool:

Fe

Hola, mi amigos! Buenos dias! Yep, couldn't wait to come back, there's still a week of school left. So, you all remember ol' Xavier, right? Hehe... well, I'm glad to be back. And over the summer, this will be my "job", as I'm not doing anything. So I'll be around here ALOT more. I'd also like to say that I'm still going to work on my old hack, the name of which I will not be disclosing just yet.  :wink:

Amphitryon

Hi there! Thanks for maintaining a complete and useful forum dedicated to Metroid Hacking.  I am a longtime fan of Metroid ( especially SM) and consider it a gaming milestone appart from being the best game ever in terms of atmosphere/gameplay of course. I am preparing a hack, that will of course take months if not years, so I will need help on various matters as I am planning on changing many aspects of the game like graphics for instance. I have written down complete ideas on bosses up to this point, have sketched down ( not professionally) different areas of the to-be hack but not on the point I have created very interesting ideas on bosses ( tweaks on already existant and also plainly non-existant ones). I am acquainted with how to use SMILE almost fully at least. Keep an eye for my question coming on the matter of how to edit sprites.

Quietus

Welcome to the forum.  As far as help goes, the usual (unwritten) rule is that most people here are far more willing to help those who help themselves.  Good luck with your hack. :^_^:

softglow

Hello there!

I thought I was pretty decent at Super Metroid, and at sequence breaking, and then Youtube showed me just how much of a n000000b I was.  Didn't even know about mockball or horizontal shinespark, let alone suitless runs or TAS in the sub-half-hour range.  Somehow I ended up here looking for all sorts of SM secrets and junk.  I think there might have been some romhacking or romhacks site involved in the interim.

Anyway, I've been putting my n00b powers to work on some of the hacks around... I'm curious if I've gotten one of my saves in Wet Dream Extended stuck, so I'm wondering where the best place to post about a hack I'm -playing- is.

Someday I'll learn how to bomb-jump properly in the emulator.  I knew about it, but never learned myself on the console, because I had a turbo controller which happened to be the exact right frequency for 'bomb staircase'.  Neither regular nor 30Hz turbo in zsnes does the same.  Wet Dream is bonus fun because of the physics change there =)

Quietus

Welcome to the forum. :^_^:

Mini-Kraid

Greetings all!  I wish to be a part of this community of Metroid loving people and all they share.  Now I know i'm gonna be the odd man out but I have ZERO hacking or editing skills.  Sad but true.  I'm here because I do love the Metroid series with all my heart and to play someone elses versions of the game in their own creative way is very fufilling to me.

That being said I am fairly decent at metroid (mostly SM).  By no means am I a TAS monster or any of that.  But I can generally find my own way through a hack and am fairly adamant at exploring EVERYTHING.  y'see to me Metroid is about delving into the unknown and exploring all that you can, not always about leet skills (though being creative with said skills is a massive perk xD).

Anyway thats all for now other info will come with time and posts!  See you next mission!

Quietus

Welcome to the forum.  As far as skills are concerned, it's the speedrunners that make your eyes pop out of your head.  While TASers have will certainly have some skill, and will have intimate knowledge of the game, they're not in the same league as the runners.

As for zero hacking skill, if you're interested, that's what we're here for.  It's easy enough to get going, and there are plenty of guides and tools on the main site to get you going.

Mini-Kraid

Thanks for the welcome Quietus!  Oh yeah I know that the runners are the true masters of SM, after all they do all the run with great speed and skill IN REAL TIME :D

As far as hacking goes...well... I tried once and read up on some notes and help files and such, but it is very difficult for me to learn through such ways.  I am more of a through example kinda guy, and if they are beside me I can learn.  Course such things as code and all that is like Betacrypt-9 but who knows?  Maybe one day :)

zephyrtronium

Have you ever tried TASing? It takes some amazing skill to do so. As far as I know, there are more people who are good at hacking than there are at TASing, and there's a reason for that.

Quietus

Yes, I'm very versed in TASing.  All I'm saying is that if you take a TASer, and have them play alongside an actual speedrunner, there would be no competition.  TASing doesn't take so much skill as intimate knowledge of the game's mechanics.  Theoretically, anybody can produce the same TAS given the same knowledge.  We all possess the same knowledge for speedrunning, but very few of us can even get close to competing on the same level.

Qactis

Basically, TASers SLOW DOWN THE GAME, so that they can perform complex moves more easily. Speedrunners have already MASTERED the moves and can do them on que in a hack, only saving 2 or 3 times throughout the whole hack

zephyrtronium

Quote from: Qactis on November 04, 2011, 04:35:45 PM
Basically, TASers SLOW DOWN THE GAME, so that they can perform complex moves more easily. Speedrunners have already MASTERED the moves and can do them on que in a hack, only saving 2 or 3 times throughout the whole hack
I'd love to see anyone do the jumping Corollax post-Ridley to get the missile tank behind the save station in SRX in Fusion (starts at 1:16:42; linked to that time but yt is screwy) in real time. I mean, if a speedrunner has "mastered" all the moves, then surely he or she can do that, right?

snarfblam

The way I see it, speed running and TASing each have a completely different draw (neither has much draw for me, but that's beside the point). Speed running is about pushing the limits of the player, and TASing is about pushing the limits of the game. It makes each one (potentially) interesting to watch for different reasons.

Also, zeph, what's with the new username? Somehow, it seems metconst has decided to treat usernames like nicknames.

Zhs2

It stemmed from a discussion on IRC about where people who wanted their name changed to something more pony-like new would have their old name made their custom title; zephyrtronium decided he wanted to change his name to something silly awesome new and put his name into his custom title.

squishy_ichigo

He already had ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ as his custom title, so all he really did was switch the two.

Quote58

Greetings Metroid Construction! I am, for lack of a better user name, Shadow96. I've been using metroid construction for a long time but just now got around to making an account. I'm new here, so if I do something wrong, sorry. Since this is a thread for introducing ones self, I shall do so. I am no n00b when it comes to smile or metroid in general. I have and will only hack super metroid, mostly due to the fact that smile has the best user interface. I am very skilled at super metroid, and if I weren't so lazy, I might think about speed running. I've tried my hand at graphics editing, level design, etc. I have lots of ideas for hacks, but I don't think I'll ever make a hack. Although super metroid is my favourite metroid game, fusion and metroid 2 are close seconds.
So that's about it. I just thought I'd introduce myself.