News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Introduce Yourself!

Started by Phazar, May 17, 2009, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris2balls

Hi, I'm an art student and an avid spriter/pixel artist. I've been a Metroid fan for quite some time, but with the lack of official games recently I've been looking more into romhacks and the many fan communities. I helped make some assets for MP2D back in the day... Anyway, great work on this board and looking forward to seeing more! :D

Quietus

Welcome to the forum, Chris2balls. There's always a need for good sprite work here, so I'm sure you'll fit in nicely (and probably get pestered for art). :^_^:

Merci

Hi there! I'm Merci[citation needed]. I grew up playing the GBAtroids (Metroid Fusion is best) and I'm sad that none of the Super Metroid remakes in Zero Mission have come to fruition. So I'm making one myself. I'm also in high school.

thedopefish

Wow, more Fusion fanboys...

In any case, welcome!  Good luck with the hacking efforts.

credits:0

Halo. Found this site via gamesniper.com post. Just bought a vectrex. ...That's all for today.

Quietus

Welcome to MetConst. Also, please feel free to **INSERT COIN**

chozen-one

Hello forums, I have finally completed my long procrastinated forum registration!  I've been playing Super Metroid since I was 10 years old in 1994, and didn't learn about the mockball until about a year ago.  I have done a few speedruns on Twitch, but I can't get sub-hour....but I LOVE the idea of SM hacks, I just finished Reimagined, and as a veteran player, it was quite challenging.  I want to get into my own ideas but I need to get the tools first.

Quietus

Welcome to the forum, chozen-one. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to register; what matters is that you do. :^_^:

For getting your time under the hour mark, the only real suggestions I can give are:
Firstly, plan your route around Health, Supers, and Beams. Focusing on health first means that survival is less of a concern, so you can focus solely on speed. Over time, you can remove more and more items, and drill the time right down.
Fire up an emulator, and play through your intended route, creating a save state in each door way. Then spend 5-10 minutes practising traversing each room. Once you've finished, do one complete playthrough without saving. You'll be amazed at how much difference your muscle memory of each room will make! I wouldn't be at all surprised if you shave at least five minutes off your first run after doing this. :cool:

Good luck! :grin:

chozen-one

I have done some of this, but I'm not really focusing on speedrunning right now.  I am into the best exploration based hacks, and I'm playing the ROMS on lr-snes9x for the raspberry pi....with varying success (Eris didn't work, but other have).  I'm reading the guide now on hacking, and it's much more in depth than I anticipated...but I'm still vigilant!!!  I've been studying networking, which has introduced me to hex, so at least I have a foot in the door for knowledge.   :heheh:

Quietus

You've actually come in at a good time, and are spoilt for info nowadays. Super Metroid in particular can be modified to a huge degree, thanks to many, many people pulling it apart over the years. That guide, assuming you mean the full SM Mod Manual, is the culmination of a lot of research and experimentation from a lot of people, all gathered in one place, with no little amount of help from Grime typing it all out!

On a related note, don't worry about tinkering as you read through the guide. It will help clarify a lot of things as they're referred to in the guide. Also, feel free to break a handful of ROMs before you settle down to anything permanent. I can assure you that pretty much everybody here has done it, so it's good to get it out of your system early on. :grin:

Ice Man

Hi,
I'm Dan and I came across this forum cause I've been thinking to start Super Metroid hacking as I really like the game.
I've done various Super Mario World hacks such as Toad's World, Mario's Journey Through Time & Space and Bowser's Return.

Quietus

Welcome to the forum. You seem like an Ice Man. :^_^:

lum

I was poking around for hacking info on Super Metroid's Mother Brain. She is far too easy to defeat guns blazing for energy tank collectors, sloppy looking as the tactic is.

RickSR388

hello i am RickSR388
a nice little pun to a show i love and to a game i enjoy!

i been browsing this forum for years and finally built up the courage to create an account and maybe create my own little hack on super metroid! i been playing that game for years and still loving it.  i am still getting used to sprite work.  right now all i can do best is formulate plans and create ideas. i do draw.  i got one i can maybe share.  it is old work  but i still love it.  if you want to get to know me more, feel free to hit me up with a convo! just not here XD this is an introduce yourself thread, not a blab away thread~

chozen-one

Just to follow up on my previous post, I said that Eris would not work on the raspberry pi...But that's because I was applying the ips to the headered ROM.  Works fine on lr-snes9x after adding header with smile  :lol:

Shockwave_S08

The name's Shockwave_S08, and ripping and tearing is the name of my game. Over on ModDB, I was a beta-tester/bug-reporter for "Brutal Doom: Blood Ode v5", up until the creator of the mod dropped off the planet. Nowadays, I've been keeping myself busy by playing a customized version of "Super Metroid: GBA Style", using bits and bobs, and odds and ends from the forums, the main site, and the old site's archives, seeking to find the perfect balance between form and functionality. You may have seen me hanging around the Discort chat servers, as well. I may be a newbie compared to the rest of you guys, but I look forward to seeing more awesome things from everyone here!

Twely

Hi, my name is Twely.

I am here because of shyguyexpress and I find it very cool to do hacking and upload it and make your own super metroid games using hacks!
I am gonna take my time to learn to use the hacking program to make your own metroid game.
I am also very new.

so anyways I am new to this entire forum wish me luck on everything!  :grin:

Zexis

Hey, I'm Zexis. I recently streamed Hyper Metroid and enjoyed it so much that I wanted to leave a review, and have to post on the forums first. Hopefully I'll find other quality Metroid content here, too.

personitis

Quote from: Zexis on August 05, 2017, 01:31:07 PMHopefully I'll find other quality Metroid content here, too.
14.2% quality content, 86.8% "lol I can use SMILE." Welcome to MetConst.

Zero One

Quote from: personitis on August 06, 2017, 10:36:32 AM
Quote from: Zexis on August 05, 2017, 01:31:07 PMHopefully I'll find other quality Metroid content here, too.
14.2% quality content, 86.8% "lol I can use SMILE." Welcome to MetConst.

Doing a 101% run, I see?

personitis

There are multiple jokes at work there.

Darklen

Hello there!

I'm Darklen c: I've been recently browsing for hacks I would be able to play for games such as Metroid or Zelda (Either OOT or MM), and just yesterday discovered this gem of a forum :0 (Even though I've searched for them a few months ago, I didn't stumble upon Metroid Construction before :|)

Anyways, I'm a student that (sadly) lives on Venezuela. I don't actually have any experience on hacks, but like playing them, for some odd reason.

And, well... that's it. lul. :x

MetroidMst

Welcome and enjoy your stay! There are quite a few interesting experiences with hacks to be had.

cowsmanaut

Hi there,

Long time gamer.. first game system was Pong.. yeah... I'm serious. Began doing pixel art via code on a commodore 64 because there wasn't any art programs that I could find at first.

Now, many years later, I've worked on a few titles for PC and Android.. I teach 3D for characters and environment, and also Matte painting. So, I guess plunking away at that stuff as a kid was worth the time.

I'm a very big fan of Metroid and found this forum while doing some research for metroid and thought I'd share some of the screens of work I did on a Unity based clone of Super Metroid. I'll likely never finish it, I've moved over to unreal and would need to redo the work I started and it was a fair bit of coding to get things right. I also had concerns over copyright and I'm certain the powers that be would never let me make a clone for sale.. anyway... maybe it'll inspire someone. :)

On a side note.. still have the game cartridge here.. just finished it again with my kid.. she loved it and now has drawn pictures of Samus and printed out pictures for her wall.. :D

Anyway.. that's me.. hi!

Quietus

Welcome to the forum. It's always nice to see a fellow 'oldie' here. :grin:

I recall those 80s days fondly. I was an Amstrad owner, and loved things like Jet Set Willy, Dizzy, and Target: Renegade. :wub: