News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Introduce Yourself!

Started by Phazar, May 17, 2009, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephoras

Haha been here for almost a year, havent posted here, So lets go ahead and get this over with, Im Zephoras (ProjectEsia), Ive been hacking away for months, first metroid game was fusion, Im still newby when it comes to smile so sorry if you get irritated over on #cloudirc, But im currently working on a trilogy for super metroid (esia) im 15 :P not much else to say here

Digital_Mantra

I wish I was 15 again, I would have banged Faryn, Sara and Becky. I'll regret it forever.
Don't waste your youth hacking, I'd trade it all to get my fingers wet in those lot.
(Wife, if you're reading this, I'm being satirical, don't beat me up, they mean nothing to me)

Zephoras

not the reply i was expecting... but ok.. lol

Quietus

Strange, but when I read your name, my word-oriented brain started to look for anagrams and stuff, and I saw Seph and Zora, both of which have strong Links (Geddit?) with Zelda 3. :O_o:

Zephoras

:heheh:never noticed that LOL

Parabox

Quote from: Zephoras on May 13, 2014, 06:59:03 PM
sorry if you get irritated over on #cloudirc
>implying people go to CloudIRC
>implying people don't get irritated there anyway

snarfblam

* snarfblam goes to #cloudirc
* snarfblam does not get irritated there

Wanna fight about it?

snibsnib

Hi Guys. I've been lurking around here forever and I think its about time that I introduce myself. People usually call me Snib. I'm from Australia. I don't really have the time or the patience to make a hack of my own, but I love playing the ones you guys make. I like inde/electronic music and my favorite games are Super Metroid and FFX.

Cheers

Retroo

nice to meet you snib! =)

Quietus

Welcome to the forum. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: snibsnib on May 22, 2014, 10:06:49 AM
Hi Guys. I've been lurking around here forever and I think its about time that I introduce myself. People usually call me Snib. I'm from Australia. I don't really have the time or the patience to make a hack of my own, but I love playing the ones you guys make. I like inde/electronic music and my favorite games are Super Metroid and FFX.

Cheers
I'm from Australia.
I like inde/electronic music and my favorite games are Super Metroid and FFX.

. . .
You are me.
We will get along fine.

Scyzer

I'm from Australia.

Awesome. More minions in our fight to take over the entire world.

Zephoras

Australians! *surrenders*  :pale:

Blade

Well, time to introduce myself^^

Hi I'm Blade from Germany. I'm 18 years old and I try to get into Metroid Hacking for quiet some time now.
At the moment i try to do get into Metroid Fusion hacking but DH is trolling me sometimes  :<_<:
Anyway nice to meet you guys  :^_^:

Retroo

nice to meet you blade!  :^_^:

Quietus

Welcome, Blade.  Enjoy your stay. :^_^:

Zephoras

Welcome :) i wish luck to you

Blade

18mlivingston

Hi there I'm 18mlivingston I'm new here obliviously.
I try not to get in to trouble and if i do it is usually on accident. I do whatever i want as long as it does not break the rules. I play Metroid,Pokemon,Final Fantasy,Dragon Quest,Legend of Zelda,Mario,Kirby,Megaman,etc. I hack nothing I'm more of a beta tester kind of guy I'm a glitch magnet so that's why smile is hard to understand but once i figure it out i can probably do something but until then just a good beta tester. I'm 14 years old and i just want to have a good time plus some of the hacks here are really good. the reason I joined is because I like Metroid and i watch a youtuber called ShyGuyExpress or as he is known on the forum as Metroidmst and the hacks i saw on his channel were awesome and he talked about Metroid Construction at the time I had no idea what it was so I (sorry for spamming I) searched it on google and that's how I'm here. I hope that I can be a good person and help with hacks even if it is not helping make one :yay:.

Quietus

Howdy.  Welcome to our neck of the woods.  Make yourself comfortable, and remember that it doesn't matter what pace you're learning at, as long as you're learning. :^_^:

Rothlenar

FEAR NOT... I AM NOT DEAD.

Or be afraid? Not sure what's there to fear from me...  :pwuh:

Since it's been a long while, I'll just say: LONG POST... So I'll use spoilers. Not sure how to edit the text to say "Spoiler: Basic Stuff". So, I'll do it like this:

Basic Stuff
[spoiler]
For those who might remember me a long long long long time ago on the Metroid2002 forums, hello again! :grin: For those who don't know me, I'll introduce myself here.

I've mostly spent my time and days (since 2007) in college; changing majors late in the game sucks, but I'll get to that later. I have been playing all sorts of Super Metroid hacks since sometime around 2002 or 2003; been too long to say. I don't normally speed-run Super Metroid nowadays. It's not like my time was great when I used to speed-run, but 1 hour and 15 minutes for a 100% run I felt wasn't bad when I was in 9th grade (about 11 years ago).

In case it really needs to be said, I'm 25 & 1/2 years old.

I haven't spent as much time as I would like hacking Super Metroid, but I think I've made some decent strides in improving upon that. I would say that I'm still in the beginning stages of learning the tools, albeit the programming experience in and of itself is something I am well ready of, I'm sure.
[/spoiler]

College Experience
[spoiler]
This is where my college experience will start to tie in, as you will see. For the first four years of my college career, I was a Music Education major. Towards the end of my first senior year, I finally realized (after being sincerely stubborn about trying to make it work for so long) that teaching kids music was simply not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. So, I switched to Computer Science. After about a year in the CS world I finally got to take my first Math proofs course. I loved it very much, and so I added in Mathematics as a major. Throughout all this I kept a Bachelor of Arts in Music to try to feel as if I did not waste the first four years of my college career. I have also completed a minor in Information Systems.

As it stands, I currently have one year left before I graduate with all three majors and one minor. I currently have a 3.82 Cumulative GPA (out of 4.00). I have been getting all straight A's since the change to CS (except that one f***ing A- in Biology :<_<: I don't count that as a real A...).
[/spoiler]

My Programming Experience
[spoiler]
"A COMPUTER SCIENCE degree, you dare say? Tell me more!"

Well, the way they do it where I go to college is mathematically based as opposed to some that might be business based. What I've done so far (for just CS and Math) is this:

• One course on Visual Basic. This was my FIRST semester as a CS student. It was taught by a shitty teacher from the IS department, so I essentially became an autodidact here. Trust me, the teacher got fired right after this course was done. There were no more shitty teachers past this point.
  • Three courses over C++. Lovely. The latter two semesters were more about Algorithms & Data Structures 1 & 2. I'm a tad rusty with this, but it's easy to polish.
  • Two semesters of Java. Not required for the degree, but I thought, "What the hell... it's more experience."
  • A course on Operating Systems and a course on Computer Architectures. These two were more theory-oriented, and meant to add some well-roundedness to the CS degree.
  • A database course and a course called the Principles of Software Engineering. More well-roundedness.
  • Calculus 1, 2, and 3, Discrete Mathematics 1 and 2, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Probability & Statistics, Differential Equations. Can you tell I love math? :grin:

Due to class conflicts, I could not take the Systems Programming class (a.k.a. ASM!!) as early as I would like, but now I will be taking it this coming Fall as one of my last CS classes. Call me a masochist, but I have been looking forward to taking this damn class finally. Yeah, yeah, yeah... I probably could've started learning Assembly early, but I have school, damn it. Priorities... Geez...

As of now, I am currently interning during the summer as an IT programmer, mainly rewriting some old VB6 code (euuuggggh) into Visual Basic 2013 and learning some web design. I have already written some useful VB 2013 programs for the company I'm under.
[/spoiler]

All in all, I think I have grown significantly more competent about programming in general. I would dare say I still have much more to learn, but I think that the road forward has been well-paved.

personitis

I don't recall ever meeting you or coming in contact with you, so welcome! Seems like you have quite a bit of knowledge under your belt which I can say slightly makes me jealous. :heheh: Should you decide to hack, welcome aboard and if not, then so be it. Continue to enjoy the works (even if rarely) put out by the community here!

Also, to answer your "question" about spoilers, do this:
[spoiler=basic stuff]Spoiler text here[/spoiler]

Rothlenar

Quote from: person701 on July 10, 2014, 10:17:49 PM
Seems like you have quite a bit of knowledge under your belt which I can say slightly makes me jealous. :heheh:
*shrug* I do enjoy being able to help others learn (if I have time). Given that I have played the autodidact role (as most of us probably have), I honestly would rather have had help while going along, almost as if I were taking a sort of class on Super Metroid hacking, while doing my own studying during some, if not most, of the time. Pedagogically speaking, I think this is a better way to learn.

Should you decide to hack, welcome aboard and if not, then so be it.
I have every intention of doing so. In fact, I've been following your guide. Of course, I do find it very easy to follow, but important growth starts with small beginnings. Many thanks to you! :portal:

Also, to answer your "question" about spoilers, do this:
[spoiler=basic stuff]Spoiler text here[/spoiler]
Thanks!

Vismund Cygnus

You know more things than I do. You'll be fine here.
SMILE is easy, even I can use it.

Not well, but you get the point.
. . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . .
Welcome aboard!