News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Rom Issues

Started by Jordan5, March 18, 2013, 05:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan5

I've just got into playing metroid hacks but have ran into a lot of rom issues. :cry: I've got both the (Ja, US) and (En,Fr,De) original metroid roms which i have used to patch with the .ips files. Unfortunately, despite using LIPS, every time I've used an .ips file to patch either original rom, upon loading it tells me I have a bad rom, bad chksum and always freezes within the first few minutes of the game.
The only hack I've completed it Super Metroid: Legacy as I downloaded a patched rom which worked perfectly. Has anyone had similar issues as me and knows how to sort it out? it's disappointing as there are so many good hacks I can't wait to play! Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Also, if anyone has working patched roms and would like to upload them I would be really greatful, thanks again.

Katelyn

05:59:12 PM <ProjectXIX> I wonder who the first person to say "we won't upload roms" will be.
we won't upload roms

personitis

Sounds to me like you're problem is not knowing if you ROMs are headered or unheadered. IIRC, a headered ROM is 3073kb in size while an unheadered ROM is 3072kb in size. Make sure you patch a headered ROM with a "headered" ips and vise versa.

Also, refer to Katelyn's post.

Zhs2

One does not simply "upload ROMs", for sharing copyrighted material is illegal in most countries. As for your issue, you should pay close attention to whether or not your ROM has a header. A header is 512 bytes at the beginning of a ROM file that shifts most of the data forward, something the SNES hardware expected to read through. Unless otherwise specified, ROM hacks are typically built with unheadered versions of Super Metroid (JU) in mind. An unheadered SM ROM is exactly 3,145,728 bytes in length. If your ROM is exactly 512 bytes longer, you might need to remove the header (unless you wanted to play Legacy or Eris or something) which SMILE is capable of doing for you. Also note that nobody builds IPS patches against the European version of Super Metroid unless it's Legacy.

Digital_Mantra

Often times when I patch a rom and start it up, i get the bad checksum, and have to click the window shut a half dozen times and the game works perfectly.
I hope this isn't the issue you're describing. If it is, just keep closing the window till you see 'nintendo' and shit.
By window, i mean the pop-up, not the emulator.

Weterr123

Quietus

It should also be noted that it's possible to have the right ROM, but to not have a clean dump of it.  Googling "Super Metroid (JU) [!]" will normally get you heading in the right direction.

Jordan5

Thanks everyone, I've downloaded an unheadered rom and all the hacks seem to be working fine. Sorry about asking for roms, i knew it was a long-shot but didn't know what else I could do. When I load up each rom it always says bed chksum, despite closing the window several times, will this affect game-play at all?

Weterr123

Quote from: Jordan5 on March 19, 2013, 02:13:41 PM
When I load up each rom it always says bed chksum, despite closing the window several times, will this affect game-play at all?

Shouldn't do, it just basically means that the original rom has been changed.

Quietus

Yeah, most hacks say BAD ROM when loaded.  Don't worry about it.

Jordan5

Thanks everyone for the help, got the phazon hack to work now; so pleased!  :grin:

FullOfFail

Not a problem.