News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Palette Overriding

Started by Drewseph, February 24, 2013, 02:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drewseph

Long story short,  I've made a Morphball which uses 14 colors.  I want to find a way to branch the palettes used into 2 separate branches. 

Default, for when samus is not in morphball.

New, For when Morphed.

Trouble is obviously that I'll need to have a whole new branch of palettes to mirror the heat glow, speed booster, hit state, charging, etc.

Trouble is I don't know how to pinpoint the routines to begin the hijack.  and I cannot seem to find anything for glows via a breakpoint write to 7EC180...  any help is appreciated.

Crashtour99

To my knowledge no one has really found what changes Samus' palette for stuff like that yet.  It's also probably using indirect addressing/indexing to write to $C180, so it won't show up on a breakpoint.  If you can locate a proper set of rooms, you could probably do a trace and see what pops out.

Easiest way currently though would probably be to write a routine that runs every frame and have it adjust the specific colors you're using (or if you're that set on using whole new palettes you can write a subroutine to just transfer a set of bytes from ROM to RAM), have it check for stuff like heat bit for appropriate glow with a timer, check the current fx and stuff, etc.

Black Falcon

Quote from: Crashtour99 on February 24, 2013, 07:38:11 PM
Easiest way currently though would probably be to write a routine that runs every frame and have it adjust the specific colors you're using, have it check for stuff like heat bit for appropriate glow with a timer, check the current fx and stuff, etc.

Almost exactly what I did for my flexglows.
They directly modify the color value in RAM, so regardless of what palette you're using, flexglows will always work.

Appearently nobody is using them in their hacks (except Grime was going to use them iirc)
thought it'd be a cool thing to do lots of eyecandy...
I dunno if my instructions on how to use them are too confusing or people simply don't wanna use it, as nobody EVER gave any feedback about it. :neutral:
Seriously, if anyone wants to use it, but finds it too confusing to use, feel free to contact me. I'm always glad to help.

Anyway, you could tweak my code and make different glows for when she's in morphball mode and when she's not, certain fx are enabled and whatnot.
Get them here
Just a suggestion.  :^_^:

Crashtour99

Quote from: Black Falcon on February 25, 2013, 07:50:06 AM
Appearently nobody is using them in their hacks (except Grime was going to use them iirc)
thought it'd be a cool thing to do lots of eyecandy...

I'm using your earlier RevoGlow asm (snagged it from your site) since it's perfect for all of the scenery effects I'm going to be doing.  Flex glows is really a bit too much for my needs.