News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] X-Ray "Blocks"

Started by FullOfFail, February 24, 2013, 10:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullOfFail

Hello.

I need to figure out two semi-crucial things for my hack, but it's just above my head.

Objective 1:

I need the X-Ray Scope to no longer Scan Layer 2, nor reveal hidden blocks.

This picture should be an indication as to why:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

And Here's what the room should look like:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I use Layer 1 / Layer 2 manipulation techniques often, and it just doesn't fit my style of room design. Nor do I need the X-Ray for the purpose it's originally intended for.

Objective 2:

I need the X-Ray Scope to almost instantly turn off after activated. So essentially you'd press the button, it'd come on for a second or less, then deactivate as if the player manually released the button.

If it comes to it, I could just use this step and skip Objective 1
but I'd prefer that it'd look nice all the way around.

This short video should better express why I would need such a thing:
[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmDmbYxUaRk[/spoiler]

If you can't tell, those blocks are technically enemies with a Enemy DNA Pointer tweak Black_Falcon showed me years ago. (Thanks for that BF!)

Any help / suggestions regarding this issue is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Black Falcon

For objective 1, goto 91D2D6 and replace 0000 with FFFF (from Kejardon's doc about x-ray).
This prevents x-ray from revealing any blocks.

For objective 2, you need to write some timer code to skip the x-ray routine:

@ $90:DDD3: JSL $91CAD6 (22 D6 CA 91) X-ray Routine (found by DSO iirc)

Now at this spot I'd use a long jump to free space somewhere in the ROM, place the timer stuff there, and make it skip that routine from executing after the timer ran out.
After the button is released, set the timer to 0 again or make it so that you have to wait until you can use it again to avoid abusage.

FullOfFail

Thanks, Black_Falcon!

This should be all the info I need to complete both objectives, but I'll let you know if I run into any trouble.

Thanks again!