News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid + Saving

Started by snarfblam, February 23, 2013, 07:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odb718

I'm very interested in it being a power up. Does it take the spot of one of the current power ups or work along side it?
Can Editroid control it?

Btw, I think I can edit your phazon tiles to be animated.

snarfblam

Quote from: Crys on April 02, 2014, 07:39:33 PM
Did you decide to go without the dotted empty tiles after all? :p

I haven't decided either way yet, but I'm leaning toward the dotted tiles.

Quote from: Odb718 on April 04, 2014, 12:47:42 AM
I'm very interested in it being a power up. Does it take the spot of one of the current power ups or work along side it?
Can Editroid control it?

It would be easier to have it replace an existing power-up but it doesn't have to. In the video it had replaced the long beam since I planned on having the player start with the long beam anyways. Since you'd be using custom ASM, Editroid wouldn't know anything about anything you've changed.

Odb718

I've noticed a new series of graphics I think were left in your changes.
In Brinstar's sets, there seems to be a wave. Maybe Lava, but it's in the "solid" section at the top. It's definitely animated.
15 - 1C
Other than that I dont see anything in my rom that's changed graphically. Even the giant Kraid statue is perfect.
For anyone that has a lot of changes in Brinstar's tiles, their rom will be affected by this.

I'm going to use the metmapmaker and release hopefully the final version of Samus:MBR soon. Do you have any tips for making the mini map easier?

----
I had a question about the mini map. I got to the edge of the entire Zebes map. I _think_ it's showing the other side of the map. Is that normal?
I noticed in Kraid the E for the energy and the missile icon is different than in Brinstar.

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: Odb718 on April 05, 2014, 03:36:36 AM

Did you make Samus look like Link from Zelda in your hack? 'Cuz it looks like it in the pics.  :razz:

Daltone

Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on April 05, 2014, 08:03:56 AM
Did you make Samus look like Link from Zelda in your hack? 'Cuz it looks like it in the pics.  :razz:
Do you wear glasses? 'Cuz it seems you need your eyes checked :razz:

Tried out the metroid+save+mini map+wall jump on NES, works all good n stuff though i wish wall jumping worked when you were falling, it would make the path from ice beam to varia suit really cool. havent tried loading sram but i imagine you got it working fine. good stuff snarf and parasyte, ppl will cart this for sure when its done

snarfblam

Quote from: Odb718 on April 05, 2014, 03:36:36 AM
I noticed in Kraid the E for the energy and the missile icon is different than in Brinstar.

_o\ I forgot to copy the graphic changes made in Brinstar to other levels. Like I said, though, this isn't really done yet. Also, the wave graphic was just me screwing around. I hadn't really intended to leave it there. I just forgot about it.

Quote from: Daltone on April 05, 2014, 12:09:52 PM
good stuff snarf and parasyte, ppl will cart this for sure when its done

Thanks! Version 0.3 has already been tested on a cart.:awesome: I was pleased to find out it works fine on hardware, since it didn't work on PowerPaks (but I eventually got that sorted out).

Odb718

This shows off two things. One, my hack goes to all four sides of Zebes. When I got to the left side it looked like it was showing the right side of the map. When I got here, it showed what looked like what was surrounding the tiles used for the map.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

When I drop back down below the top playable rooms, the map returns to normal. The current

Also, you can see that the missiles icon is good, but the missiles themselves are wonky.

I havent gotten to the right or bottom yet in my testing. I figure maybe just some tilelayerpro action is needed for the missiles.

When I press Start and view the scrollable map, it just shows the playable map. Hopefully there's a way to get the minimap working like your original idea.

Grimlock

Snarfblam, thank you for your work producing this save hack.  I'm working on finishing my metroid hack pretty soon, I'd like to patch this into it.  Do you think the current version is ready to go or should I wait until the next release?

I put the time in and learned how to hex edit the tile placement on the title screen. I'll be editing the graphics and layout this week, should I avoid using more tiles that is currently used in the original metroid title?  I don't want to have any problem with distorted graphics when the patch is added to the ROM.

snarfblam

I'd recommend using 0.3 (current) rather than waiting for 0.4 (upcoming, theoretically). The issue is how to apply the patch to your ROM.

Obd seemed to experience a certain degree of success by doing this, but there is no guaruntee:

• Patch an original, unexpanded ROM with the Metroid + Saving patch
  • Expand a vanilla ROM with Editroid and save it
  • Create an IPS for expanded vanilla ROM->Metroid + Saving
  • Apply IPS to your hack

As far as which tiles you can use, I'd recommend you just check in the PPU viewer in FCEUX and see where I've added new tiles. I'm sure there's room for some additional tiles.

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

snarfblam

Quote from: Kitsune_Phoenix on April 22, 2014, 03:40:34 AM
Could you release a version in the near future that also keeps the password function for starting new games?
I don't think so. I can double check, but IIRC I overwrote some password-related stuffs for lack of free space for saving-related stuffs.

Grimlock

Snarfblam, I'm not having any luck applying Metroid Plus.ips to Metroid Incursion. The result is a black screen.  Can I send you the .ips for Metroid Incursion? I don't want to post a DL link to it since its not a final release.

I'll PM you my email address, let me know if you'd be willing to give it a shot.

snarfblam

Have you tried the method Odb used to get it working? I listed the steps above. If that's what you tried and it's not working I can take a look.

Grimlock

Quote from: snarfblam on April 28, 2014, 08:28:00 PM
Have you tried the method Odb used to get it working? I listed the steps above. If that's what you tried and it's not working I can take a look.

I believe I followed your instructions and even tried a few other patch sequences with no luck.  I haven't tried the .IPS Odb posted (didn't notice it previously). I'll give it a try and post the results.

Grimlock

Quote from: snarfblam on March 15, 2013, 06:30:32 PM
Here's a little utility to edit the map displayed in Metroid + Saving. Might come in handy for anybody who wants to include Metroid + Saving in his hack.

[spoiler]http://snarfblam.com/files/MetMapMaker1.0.zip
[/spoiler]

I was able to patch Odb's IPS to my mod and now I'm working on getting the mini map set up correctly.
There seems to be a bug in the graphical selection window on the left side.  There is an offset that progressively increases the further you try to select a tile from the upper left.  Here is what I mean:
CHR Bank 0 (the one with the number, text and title for this example, results for the first 10 tiles clicked on)
click on 0 - "0" tile selected - Offset 0 tiles
click on 1 - "1" tile selected - Offset 0 tiles
click on 2 - "3" tile selected - Offset 1 tiles
click on 3 - "4" tile selected - Offset 1 tiles
click on 4 - "5" tile selected - Offset 1 tiles
click on 5 - "7" tile selected - Offset 2 tiles
click on 6 - "8" tile selected - Offset 2 tiles
click on 7 - "9" tile selected - Offset 2 tiles
click on 8 - "B" tile selected - Offset 3 tiles
click on 9 - "C" tile selected - Offset 3 tiles

click on the lower right (last tile FF (black) and the offset is 53 tiles (q) (at its worst point)

So there must be a minor error in the coding that tells it which tile is selected by which location clicked.  I can probably make it work but it'll be difficult.

UPDATE:

I worked it out as is.  I'm right clicking to select the tiles already in the original map and using those to build the new map.  I managed to select a few tiles to use as counters to make sure I am building the map correctly.  I have Editroid open to use as a guild for screen placement.  As I go I am placing copies of the tiles to the side so I don't remove them from the map until I'm ready (so I don't have to try and select them on the left).  This should work for anyone else trying to use this utility as is.

Screenshot:

Grimlock

I completed my MOD and posted it to its thread.  When playing through it I found that the final area is a lot easier with the wavy Ice, mainly because you can just freeze all the Metroids pretty easily.  If you where to combine the wavy and the ice but keep the physics of the ice beam where it impacts structures and not go through them I think it would resolve the issue.

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

Entroper

Quote from: snarfblam on April 02, 2014, 07:24:08 PMI did not write the wall jump or corner map hack. I modified them to be compatible with Metroid + Saving

Any chance you could throw together a walljump .ips that incorporates these modifications? Would be great to be able to add it to 0.3

Infinitys_End

Why, will you look at that.  Someone combined 3 of our hacks together to make the ultimate hack!  I was never notified that he did this - I am honestly unsure why - it's apparently been out since last April and I only just stumbled upon it today.  I'm copy-pasting this text into some other threads just so the right people can know about it. :)

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

Hawntah

Quote from: Kitsune_Phoenix on July 15, 2014, 01:24:07 AM
What would be even more awesome is if somebody made a patch where you started out with the Long Beam, and in its room would be Spazer. And in the second Ice Beam's room would be Plasma. And if they made it compatible with the beam-stacking functionality of Metroid + Saving. Now that would be hardcore. I guess will will just have to wait and see, and hopefully by then somebody will have made something like that.
That's already been done, or at least something very similar. I believe it's called Super Metroid.

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

Stinktier

I think hawtah's comment is very valid, though. Nestroid vanilla is close to perfectly balanced when it comes to weapons arsenal vs. Enemies (max count of 6 enemies onscreen, limited variety of enemies, and the fact that most of them put up a pretty weak effort to actually kill samus). I even like that the ice beam's ability comes at the cost of having to hit the enemy twice as much before it is done for. More powerful beams means a hightened need for rebalancing the while thing. Not saying that it shouldn't be done. Just that it needs to be implemented carefully.

Vismund Cygnus

I also believe that Hawntah was making a sarcastic quip.  :heheh:

Grimlock

Quote from: snarfblam on March 31, 2014, 09:06:34 PM
So this happened:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I still have a little more work to do for the next "official" version, but here it is in its current state. Metroid + Saving + Wavy Ice + Corner Map + Pause Map + Wall Jump.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12027218/Metroid%20Saving%200.4.notdone.ips

Snarfblam,  what are the risks of using your 0.4 patch applied to a clean rom to start a new hack?  The wall jump feature would be great for level design, I've got some pretty good ideas for it.

Also I was wondering if you had any plans in your future release of your hack to replace the long beam with the wall jump and have the player start with the long beam?  I plan on starting a second hack, if you tell me that you plan on doing that in the future I'll design my level layout for it, I wouldn't expect to release the new hack for at least 12 months so you'd have plenty of time to work on the hack.  If not then I can always plan the level layout with the player starting with the wall jump already applied (if you say 0.4 will work).

The benefits of having the wall jump as a separate item would be to work in areas that are not initially accessible into the level design that would suddenly become accessible once the wall jump is acquired.