News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

The youtube topic

Started by GF_Kennon, May 17, 2009, 02:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhs2

Best 3D fighting game ever.
lmaooooooooooooooo

Quote from: Youtube commentExestenz 3 days ago
And thus, dragon ball was born.

Crashtour99

The only thing that could have made that any better is if he did a barrel roll.   :lol:

Zhs2

Quote from: Crashtour99The only thing that could have made that any better is if he did a barrel roll.
I'm considering the old man's victory pose to intend exactly something like that.

Also,
Internet arguments - the animated film

Parabox

Digital_Mantra

snarfblam

Seems like this topic is more for lulzy YouTube finds... but whatever.

Found a cool Contra hack on the RHDN forums. This is me getting killed to death.
Playing Contra Hack
You can only see half my bullets because each bullet is only visible every other frame, and YouTube cut half the frames out.

Hiroshi Mishima

Yeah that looked really difficult, but I'm impressed at how well you were playing. I always had fond memories of Contra growing up, even though I typically sucked at it, or would end up using the Konami Code. :p

Quietus

It looks pretty good, and the difficulty doesn't appear to have been ramped THAT much.  It often seems like hacks for games are created to offer more difficulty, whereas I often feel that players would prefer a continuation of the original.  Super Mario World would be the prime example, which has as many hacks as you can imagine, but very few are what I would consider to be continuations, offering more Mario World to the player.  My favourite hack would be Return to Dinosaur Land, and I'd recommend it to all of those wishing for more Mario World without the ramped difficulty.

snarfblam

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on November 27, 2010, 08:52:20 PM
Yeah that looked really difficult, but I'm impressed at how well you were playing. I always had fond memories of Contra growing up, even though I typically sucked at it, or would end up using the Konami Code. :p
I've played Contra (and Super C) so much it's completely ridiculous. I can usually beat either without dying once. When you get to that point, it stops being fun. What's awesome about this hack is that it's like a reset for me. The hack is just as hard for me now as the original was when I was a little kid.

This is the topic that I found it on over at the RHDN forums.

Quote from: Quietus on November 28, 2010, 07:43:39 AM
It looks pretty good, and the difficulty doesn't appear to have been ramped THAT much.
I think it's harder than it looks in the video. Required skills include dancing through streams of bullets coming from multiple enemies and/or turrets, and knowing the safe places to stand in each part of the level. Usually I can do better, but in the video you can see I was having trouble.

I agree with you on the whole: hacks that ramp the difficulty way up aren't much fun for most people. This just so happens to be the one game where I can (usually) dodge bullets like an agent, which is why I find a retardedly difficult hack to be so much fun. But what I really give Trax credit for is that the difficulty isn't cheap. Although I have yet to beat any level without dying at least a couple of times, each individual death is avoidable and caused by a mistake on my part, and getting better at the game each time you play it is very rewarding.

Hiroshi Mishima

I tend to have trouble with bullet storms, so I always died a fair few times per level in Contra on the NES hence my love of the ol' Konami Code. As has been already said, hacks where they take already fairly challenging games and ramp it up to a 12 just aren't very fun. Making a game deliberately unbeatable (by all but the most skilled TASers) is really quite stupid in my eyes, but oh well, there's apparently an audience for that.

Anyways, I'll look up both of those hacks, because I always loved Super Mario World. I'd say "finding hacks that aren't insanely hard is difficult" but at the same time finding the aforementioned hacks tended to put a damper on my desire to keep looking. You know, slogging through the mud.

So thanks for the links, I'll grab those and give'em a go later.

Black Falcon

I...
I wanted to say something, but my mind got vacuum'd in that very moment. :shocking:

Brandals

I made a video of Crys's Hack, Wet Winter. Although I did a horrible job playing it!  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az-S2Kz9uSs