News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

On Starting a Let's Play

Started by ExMetroid, December 16, 2012, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExMetroid

[Split from The Youtube Topic to further discussion and to avoid derailing that thread]

hello  :yay:

i've recently started a SM playtrough on yt.
so any feedback from you guys would help a lot  :yay:
first i started a Sm hack,then i found out im not very good at that,
so i started to make a LP series ,of modded/hacked SM
my first one is Project Base,and i'm hoping for any kind of feedback,here or on yt
positive or negative XD
thanks in advance  :^_^:

Let's Play SM Project base -Part 1

Quietus

My notes on your let's play:?

Your English is fine. :^_^:

Set yourself a goal before you start.
Decide what sort of let's play it's going to be.  Is it a blind run, with commentary just for fun?  Is it designed to be informative?

Be consistent.
Are you talking about the gameplay, or are you generally assessing the hack?  Either way, you should play through the hack before you start your run.  Make a list of all of the things that you want to discuss, and point out to the viewer.  You mention a few things at the start, such as palette changes, and a few altered rooms, but don't mention obvious edits like the bombs, movement physics, or new moves.  For something like Project Base in particular, most viewers will have seen everything in Super Metroid, so they're really only interested in the changes.  Playing through a hack before you start recording will also eliminate errors or backtracking, which viewers don't want to see.

Rehearse.
Check what you want to say about each item on your list before you start recording, so that you avoid stumbling over your words, or forget something you wanted to say.  It'll also allow you to remove a lot of down time (where you just say 'umm...') in your commentary.

Have fun!
Nothing sucks viewers in like a player playing a game they love, and the more polished you sound, the better, but never forget that it's your work, and you need to have fun! :^_^:

ExMetroid

Quote from: Quietus on December 16, 2012, 06:59:24 PM
My notes on your let's play:?

Your English is fine. :^_^:

Set yourself a goal before you start.
Decide what sort of let's play it's going to be.  Is it a blind run, with commentary just for fun?  Is it designed to be informative?

Be consistent.
Are you talking about the gameplay, or are you generally assessing the hack?  Either way, you should play through the hack before you start your run.  Make a list of all of the things that you want to discuss, and point out to the viewer.  You mention a few things at the start, such as palette changes, and a few altered rooms, but don't mention obvious edits like the bombs, movement physics, or new moves.  For something like Project Base in particular, most viewers will have seen everything in Super Metroid, so they're really only interested in the changes.  Playing through a hack before you start recording will also eliminate errors or backtracking, which viewers don't want to see.

Rehearse.
Check what you want to say about each item on your list before you start recording, so that you avoid stumbling over your words, or forget something you wanted to say.  It'll also allow you to remove a lot of down time (where you just say 'umm...') in your commentary.

Have fun!
Nothing sucks viewers in like a player playing a game they love, and the more polished you sound, the better, but never forget that it's your work, and you need to have fun! :^_^:

thanks a lot  :yay:
i was thinking of making some sort of list before i start,but i didn't do that,and now i see it was a bad idea  :grin:
but you are right,i'll start to play the game ahead a little bit ,and try to point out all the changes that are in the hack next time  :^_^:
+plus i played it almost to the end ,but never finished it for some reason...
it'a all abiut the fun and loving the game,but this was my fisrt time recording,so i was kind of nervous

MetroidMst

Quote from: ExMetroid on December 16, 2012, 07:08:14 PM
this was my fisrt time recording,so i was kind of nervous
You'll get past that soon enough.

Quietus brings up an interesting point. Backtracking isn't normally a good thing, but in Metroid... It will almost definitely happen. I am... Lazy I guess, and I don't take it out. (Which people have told me to do in the past, so it isn't a bad idea.) I have my reason for it, but there are other options than just leaving a bunch of "empty" time in. You can cut the video. You can also speed up the empty section and take it back to normal speed once you get into the right place. Just some options there. (Since Metroid hacks will leave you backtracking at some point. Especially if doing blind runs.)

Quietus

I'd agree with the blind runs thing, in which case backtracking is part of the appeal, in that players often want you to experience what they did when they played it.  I guess it depends on the degree - thirty seconds is nothing, but ten minutes is a nightmare.

ExMetroid

Quote from: MetroidMst on December 16, 2012, 07:18:13 PM
Quote from: ExMetroid on December 16, 2012, 07:08:14 PM
this was my fisrt time recording,so i was kind of nervous
You'll get past that soon enough.

Quietus brings up an interesting point. Backtracking isn't normally a good thing, but in Metroid... It will almost definitely happen. I am... Lazy I guess, and I don't take it out. (Which people have told me to do in the past, so it isn't a bad idea.) I have my reason for it, but there are other options than just leaving a bunch of "empty" time in. You can cut the video. You can also speed up the empty section and take it back to normal speed once you get into the right place. Just some options there. (Since Metroid hacks will leave you backtracking at some point. Especially if doing blind runs.)

like you said"Initial thing I will say is to keep doing it for bit and develop your style", but that comes over time  :^_^:

MetroidMst

Quote from: Quietus on December 16, 2012, 07:39:11 PM
I guess it depends on the degree - thirty seconds is nothing, but ten minutes is a nightmare.
*MetroidMst hides in shame over what he has done in his Z-Factor playthrough. . .

Quietus

Quote from: MetroidMst on December 16, 2012, 07:47:01 PM*MetroidMst hides in shame over what he has done in his Z-Factor playthrough. . .
Hehe.  In fairness, that hack has everybody backtracking like it is the intended route. :heheh:

StardustVenom

I've been wanting to make a lets play myself of all the metroid games starting from the first. buuut my voice is super country lol. You did a good job though. I used to watch UltraJman and Protonjon and their advice to LPers is you just have to know how to articulate and lets playing helps improve that skill.

Quietus

I wouldn't be too concerned with your actual voice, as long as you speak fairly clearly.  Generally speaking, even people with an annoying voice can still be very watchable, as long as they make the content interesting.  As an example, take somebody like raocow, who became very popular on Youtube, despite having a voice that makes you want to commit murder.  Because of his style and content, people are able to overlook his voice, and enjoy the videos.

StardustVenom

I never really liked Raocow. Someone I do like with an annoying voice is Icrangirl. Her Lp's were pretty good I think. I have a couple lps sitting on my old laptop I never uploaded of a few Kirby games and secret of Mana but I did it to practice articulation and it helped me a ton. I do eventually want to start uploading them and I probably will when I feel like I've made a decent one since I naturally narrate games I play lol