News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Z-Factor Hack v1.3

Started by Metaquarius, November 30, 2012, 03:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital_Mantra

Yeah, it's like a cool 'second play' variation.

Metaquarius

I've stumbled upon a Z-Factor video in my old comp. This is a footage of an early build of Maridia. This is a bit wierd TBH.

[deleted]
Bonus : you can hear me mashing the controller buttons, great ! :colonrightv:

Cloud20

I expected to hear your voice... but no :'(

MetroidMst

He was talking. His voice couldn't find the way through Zaridia to the mic though.

Cloud20

Quote from: MetroidMst on March 10, 2013, 12:11:36 PM
He was talking. His voice couldn't find the way through Zaridia to the mic though.

:lol:

advancedpillow

Finally finished this tonight. Over 14 hours at 77%. Very fun, if very confusing during the middle of the game. Tourian, I will agree with many here, was one of the best ever made. I wouldn't go so far as to say this is the best hack, Eris has that for me, but it is definitely in the top 3, in my opinion. Probably number 2. Incredible job.

Digital_Mantra

To me personally, this is the best hack ever made (in my mind) < wait what?
V1.0 if all perma-stucks were fixed and my own ideas for subtle hints.
Instead we're at V1.3 (possibly 1.4 soon) and totally deviated from my true to form love for this.

I'd still port it and play it on my snes *V1.0* and just be cautious of the perma-stucks.
This is a masterpiece that was fixed in the wrong fashion <that's my opinion though. The developer chooses how he goes about fixing stuff.
                                                                              ^And that's also why a few of us are still V1.0 loyalists.

Quietus

I guess it just depends on what the creator wants.  Ultimately, when I'm hacking, it's being created for two reasons: For me, as a continuation of a game I love; and for other players with similar interests.  Now, the fact that it's for me weighs heavily, but if the hack I create has 95% of players complaining about certain parts, then I would do exactly what Metaquarius did, and alter it.  One or two people is easy enough to ignore, but if you want your hack to be even reasonably successful, as some form of justification for the work you put in, then it makes sense.  Every hacker wants their hack to be a success, and to be popular.  If you create a hack with an unwavering target of it being solely for you, and to hell with the naysayers, then you could argue 'why release it?'

advancedpillow

Dman, what changed between v1.0 and v1.3 for you, to make you dislike it? Did meta change things drastically? I only played 1.3 so I don't know.

Quietus

There were loads of minor changes, though it was mostly highlighting the main path, as players were struggling to find the way forward.  If you want to know the specifics, there's a full list of changes in the version log in the first post.

advancedpillow

I gotcha. Thanks. I guess my question, though, was about what changed for Dman, personally speaking.

Digital_Mantra

If you came into this hack starting at V1.3, then you've just played a masterpiece. There's nothing wrong with it. It's lush!
I came into this before there were updates via community beta testing, so I'm just being a loyalist about it's original version.
It's nothing more than how you like your steak. If you want it well cooked and I want it medium-rare, it's still the same steak.

advancedpillow

I definitely understand what you're saying.

Metaquarius

Quote from: Cloud13 on March 10, 2013, 12:06:19 PM
I expected to hear your voice... but no :'(
Oh, gosh, no, unless you want to hear badly pronounced english, I guess it is better for everyone I'm not speaking in these vids ! :grin:

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on March 13, 2013, 02:19:42 AM
Instead we're at V1.3 (possibly 1.4 soon) and totally deviated from my true to form love for this.
No more updates in sight, cause of me wiping out stuff every time !
Like Quietus explained it so well earlier, updates were focused to solve main complaints, I'm not happy with a few changes but that's life man. I know some people who just stopped playing because of a few things I do not consider to be annoying at all. If some players can't adapt their play style to the hack, at least, I can change some bits so as to avoid ragequits. :wink:

Seemingly, someone has added Z-Factor to RomHacking.net. I'm not sure this person frequents Metconst, but thank you whoever you are.  :cheers:

Zhs2

Quote from: QuietusEvery hacker wants their hack to be a success, and to be popular.  If you create a hack with an unwavering target of it being solely for you, and to hell with the naysayers, then you could argue 'why release it?'

To discover those who share the same (or reasonably similar) senses of aesthetic and challenge. I'm a firm proponent of "If you don't agree with criticism, don't follow it" (though it is also a point of argument that is not the same for every individual: "Who should I follow?" One possible answer is "somebody who hates it for the right reasons", but again, what are the "right reasons"?) If somebody's opinion conflicts with a major design decision of your creation, then your creation is obviously not for them; that's pretty much what DMantra has been saying. :heheh:

Quietus

Yeah, I get what he's saying.  I guess everybody just draws a different line in the sand. :^_^:

Daltone

Well, i beat it (1.0)
7:09, 55%
everything works on console, a few bugs but whatever.
[spoiler]the darkness in tourain is glitchy if samus isnt in the center of the screen, outer edges are bright. when i fell through the tourain turbo tube it did that glitchy tile line thing.[/spoiler]
TONS of permastucks made this very unpleasnt for me, i had a horrible experience overall, though i did like parts of it.
can't wait to see more work from you in the future, hopefully properly tested and clues that make sense, also learn how to BTS please, then your stuff will be badass.

Digital_Mantra

Don't worry, 1.3 fixes a lot of permastucks!

Oh wait nvm..

FullOfFail

Finally got around to beating this, started on 1.0, got up to Norfair and quit, second time around I played 1.3, and got 90%. I forget my time, something like 13 hours (Maridia).

This is one of the best hacks I have ever played, but it's also entirely too frustrating.

[spoiler]The main things I say this needs fixing judging from 1.3 is better hints to Botwoon and also that LN Statue. Having destructible blocks off the screen is just evil. I don't know if I could get behind having it for a regular missile, much less an intended path. [/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

Edit: yay secret room.

Metaquarius

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on March 20, 2013, 01:33:02 AM
Dman, why have you removed your wall of text about you having hard time in Zaridia ? I thought it was funny.  :lol:

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Metaquarius on March 20, 2013, 03:29:09 PM
Quote from: Digital_Mantra on March 20, 2013, 01:33:02 AM
Dman, why have you removed your wall of text about you having hard time in Zaridia ? I thought it was funny.  :lol:

My second spoiler containing my map path gave away the sequence to the secret room.
I'd rather others experience the frustration too, it makes the secret room so much more rewarding.  :grin:

advancedpillow

Can anyone give me some advice on how to get to the secret room? When can I start to search for it? I just got the speed booster. Am I prepared to reach  the secret room or do I need other items? And, any guidance on where to begin looking? I'm doing laps in Maridia right now with no end in sight. It's getting on my nerves.

Quietus

In fairness, with the number of times this crops up, it would probably be worth somebody posting a guide video or map that we can just link to.  Any volunteers? :^_^:

The main restriction is that it has to be done before defeating Phantoon.  The rest is just a case of getting there, and involves lots of suitless underwater 'fun'.

You'll need to get to Maridia, and head up the central (of three, I think) turbo pipe, and back up toward the Wrecked Ship.

Digital_Mantra

You have to kill kraid and get grapple before you head back down.
I had a map up of the path. Maybe I'll post it as a spoiler if you've really give up after trying (with grapple).