News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM]How to change the graphics on a room on smile?

Started by mutant, November 27, 2012, 03:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mutant

Hi, before i start, I say that i forgot all about smile (the super metroid editor for those who don't know it) , so i forgot how to change the tileset used on a room (for example, a Brinstar room to look like a Crateria Room, with the graphics of crateria)

other problem that i have, is when i edit a room, smile says that i don't have more space for the room, so it need to edit other room or something else, is possibly to make a full room without the memory problem?

forgot my english, i talk spanish and i don't know all about english :/

Quietus

For graphic set changes, see the FAQ.

For room space, you'll need to either stick within the limitations of each room, or look into room expansion.

Oh, and your English is fine. :^_^:

mutant

Quote from: Quietus on November 27, 2012, 04:19:29 PM
For graphic set changes, see the FAQ.

For room space, you'll need to either stick within the limitations of each room, or look into room expansion.

Oh, and your English is fine. :^_^:
Thanks!! but now i have other problema haha :p, the problem is with the background (layer 2) when i change the graphics of the room the background turned on a very strange one, here's a pic:

you see it? the strange background, i can't change  it!! i tried the normal method of changing the background, but when i test  the room in the emulator it show that background!! D: anyone help?

Cloud20

I don't see any picture, did you put you're URL in a ?

Cloud20

okay so I havn't any idea of what changed the background. But it exists two methods to work a BG

First : Use A BG Pointer
A method to use the same 1x1 scroll  bouncing BG, editable in BG editor. Your BG must use a valid pointer

Second : Layer 2
A method to design your BG like your solid Level design (Layer 1) , using a second layer of graphics. To edit it, uncheck in properties "Layer 1" to only edit the layer 2, and when it"s done re-check Layer 1 for editing it. Layer 2 doesn't need to have any BG pointer, so if you use Layer2, go to pointers and in BG Pointer write 0000. A popup will appear, don't remember what it say but you must chose "NO" (someone could complete me later)

In two methods, go to BG scrolling and check what method you will work with, BG Pointer or Layer 2 custom

Hope it can help you :)

Quietus

If you're getting junk graphics like that, it's possible that you have overwritten data by not sticking within room size limits.  If that is the case, you'll need to restore from a backup.  You were keeping backups, right? :wink:

Cloud20

Quote from: Quietus on November 27, 2012, 07:27:07 PM
If you're getting junk graphics like that, it's possible that you have overwritten data by not sticking within room size limits.  If that is the case, you'll need to restore from a backup.  You were keeping backups, right? :wink:

Hoping that Quietus. :)
Or other solution, he just changed the Graphic Set and he didn't redo the BG. mutant did you take a random room, change graphic set and just edited layer 1? (by Layer 1 I mean solid room design like floor, walls etc...) Because you can imagine when you change graphic set, all tile table is changing, involving tiles used by BG.

mutant

Quote from: Cloud12 on November 28, 2012, 04:23:53 AM
Quote from: Quietus on November 27, 2012, 07:27:07 PM

Hoping that Quietus. :)
Or other solution, he just changed the Graphic Set and he didn't redo the BG. mutant did you take a random room, change graphic set and just edited layer 1? (by Layer 1 I mean solid room design like floor, walls etc...) Because you can imagine when you change graphic set, all tile table is changing, involving tiles used by BG.
yes :/ but include if i edit the layer 2 the room shows that graphics, why? how to fix it?

Quote58

Quote from: Cloud12 on November 27, 2012, 06:58:04 PM
Second : Layer 2
A method to design your BG like your solid Level design (Layer 1) , using a second layer of graphics. To edit it, uncheck in properties "Layer 1" to only edit the layer 2, and when it"s done re-check Layer 1 for editing it. Layer 2 doesn't need to have any BG pointer, so if you use Layer2, go to pointers and in BG Pointer write 0000. A popup will appear, don't remember what it say but you must chose "NO" (someone could complete me later)
Hope it can help you :)

Don't forget that after you change the background pointer, you need to make the room use layer 2 instead of the bg pointer. So you go into the edit layer, use the dropdown to change it to use layer 2, make the scrolling however you want it. And then go to add layer 2. then edit as you wish. F1 switchs layer 1 on and off iirc.

FullOfFail

I made a video of adding layer 2, if you're more of a visual learner.

Vid:
[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5VjRLOAKmI[/spoiler]

I also wrote a guide:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68301023/Layer%202%20Editing.rtf

The rest is just changing the tileset and alternating between layer 1 & 2. Once you get the hang of it, it'll be second-nature.