News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

"Super Metroid: Lost" is under way!

Started by Nuju, February 11, 2011, 07:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

Well, you can Power Bomb him in the original, but it's not recommended. :heheh:

Nuju

Oh man!  Thanks Quietus!  Screw the Charge Beam and bomb 'em to death!  (It must take forever with power bombs!)  I'm going now to try this out.

[[How do I make him invulnerable to all other weapons?]]

Zhs2

Uh. I would pay close attention to the "It's not recommended" part of Quietus' statement...

snipereighteen

ahhh.... the thing is right, crocomire is a really complicated enemy! trust me to do that, you'd have to be as good as squishy or someone like that :nod: no idea how to make him vulnerable to certain things, thats why i dont bother with crox sometimes.  :<_<:

Nuju

I tried screwing around with Crocomire's vulnerability pointer, and I just made him vulnerable to EVERYTHING...  whoops.  I could still just add charge beam and leave Croc alone.  OOOOOO!!!!  I got an idea and I'm not telling!

I'm working on making a remote gate (Redesign)...  wish me luck.

[[EDIT:  I rock.]]

[[I won't give you the layout of my ultra-awesome room, but I will give you the appearance.  It will look something like this...  I couldn't use the silver tiles for the background :cry: but then again that might be shiny-overload.  I think it looks pretty damn awesome, plus it will have a remote gate and more PLMs, so what's better than that?  I do only have like 2 weeks experience with this.]]

snipereighteen

JEASE, that room looks like a right good tension builder man! Its like an hallway to a boss or somat  :nod:

zephyrtronium

When making a room, don't think of it as your creation.

If you're working in a natural area, like a cave or something, think of it as the product of natural processes. Rivers, glaciers, winds, and oceans might have eroded the otherwise flat landscape; sediment, tectonic activity, and volcanoes might have built it up. Think of how those things behave, and design accordingly. And just to take a shot at all the overzealous adherents to the "Use More Slopes" school of thought, the Pampas is an area of nearly 300000 square miles of almost perfectly flat land in South America: It's more important for everything not to look the same than for the terrain itself not to be varied.

Otherwise, think of the room as something that some possibly alien race created. In reality, when building things, people don't design things to look good but rather to be functional and cost efficient. Building walls and forming structure with pipes aren't either of those things. The near-exception to this rule is when the thing being built is intended to be permanent and used by everyday people, like residences and other things that might lead to ruins. In this case, functionality and cost efficiency are still important, but people also will want it to look good.

Nuju

@snipereighteen, this room IS hell, and it's giant.  Here, you'll get the Grapple Beam and Gravity Suit (and mabe Wave and Space Jump).  And then, after this room, it's a loooong way down!  I will need to expand PLMs to fit all this crap in here, I'm reading a refresher on how to do that now.

@zephyrtronium, I've never thought of it like that...  I've always just tried to make it look as... well, not unnatural as possible (does that make sense?).  I'll be certain to keep that in mind when I make Hidden.  Thanks.  As for Lost, it isn't even coherent (I might as well have gone straight from the Landing Site to... that; that little room I showed you earlier is the transition); it's just to get a feel for how I like to do/make things.  I do think that it doesn't fit AT ALL (it should be a cave/tech hybrid type thing).  I'm not investing too much time/thought into Lost, although it is fun - I'm saving ALL my energy and resources for Hidden.

[[EDIT:  After some time spent considering what you all have said, I am going to redo this room.  I haven't done much of anything anyways (everything off screen of that pic is screwed up unfinished room crap).  It will have more of a cave/tech thing now when it's finished (think Maridia's Mount Doom, but in Brinstar palette).  Same items - Grapple Beam, Gravity Suit, Wave (maybe), Space Jump (mayyyyyyybe)...]]

[[EDIT:  Progress on Lost, I'm sorry to report, has slowed down a lot.  I used to have like 3-4 hours a day I could devote to it and MetConst in the past, but that time has gone down to "whenever I can."  I know you guys hear this a lot.  Bear with me; I will give updates when I deem them significant, and I will not stop working on it.]]

[[EDIT:  Hi-jump no longer "required" up to the point that I've finished the hack.  It will take an ABSOLUTE HARD-CORE DEDICATED EXPERT PROFESSIONAL AT WALL JUMPING to skip Hi-jump, but just think of it as a reward for being so damn awesome.  The room that used to be all shiny and now is a cave/tech hybrid (aka my awesome room) is undergoing some weird state changes (the natural tiles flash red like the planet's in self-destruct), but I'll be fixing that soon.]]

[[EDIT:  This post is mangled beyond recognition.  I don't know why I even bother with the editing...  even though I'm glad I put them in italics.]]