News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Samus - Bounty on Rhizon *beta testing asm changes*

Started by Crashtour99, September 17, 2009, 12:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crashtour99

That's right, beta testing of the asm changes is underway. 
If you'd like to apply then send me a PM here and I'll send you a download link.
Keep in mind that I may not reply to everyone (especially those who have done the "demo begging" thing in the past, and you know who you are  :stern:).  I'm looking for feedback on certain things which will be explained in the included read me file.

I really only need a few people, with a variety of skill levels.
Average
Advanced (can do some of the glitches and bugs like mockballing, damage boosting, etc.)
Highly Advanced (can do all of the glitches and bugs, and has probably completed very hard hacks like SMI and Cliffhanger)

Hiroshi Mishima

I dunno if anyone's commented to you about it on the forums or elsewhere but... having the missiles damage you, and I mean the NORMAL missiles, might not be the best of ideas. I suppose from a "challenge" standpoint it's interesting, but it feels like you're gearing towards fake difficulty. If you want to make missiles into a challenge, provide fewer tanks and have the enemies drop less (or just make the drops worth less). When you have very little health to begin with, giving the player an item that'll be USED frequently yet still damages you seems like giving the player a cake and then saying you can't have it. Or rather, that you can have it, but you need to eat it with a poisoned fork.. or something.

Maybe it's just me.

Crashtour99

Well, so far I've only been getting feedback from one of the testers (that's alright, I understand that everyone has their own stuff going on, so it's no biggie), but so far the response seems to produce the desired result early on in the game.  Level design, item and enemy placement, and item order will make it seem a lot less like a poisoned fork or artificial difficulty (you'll get charge beam with charge healing as the next item).  And suit upgrades do lessen the damage as well.  Trust me, I hate artificial difficulty like "spike hell" or extended "hell runs" that are extremely difficult.  I consider myself to be a slightly advanced player (I can do some of the bugs/glitches, but not many and not all the time) and if I can't do something or find it to be too difficult it'll get changed.

I do appreciate the input though and am always grateful for constructive criticism. :^_^:

Hiroshi Mishima

The Healing Charge, as I have encountered it before, does indeed help reduce the "wallbanger" aspect of self-damaging equipment upgrades. In that respect, I can suddenly see the Harmful Missiles being used as a pacing/challenge aspect. A sort of "Missiles are good, but don't get careless" or else you find yourself between an empty tank and a sharp place.. so to speak.

In which case, I can look forwards to the hack once more without fear. :D

Lunaria

Actually, I have been putting all feedback in one text doc to send you when I'm done. And I have played almost to the end.

And I must admit, I have A LOT to say about the new stuff.