News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Samus - Bounty on Rhizon *beta testing asm changes*

Started by Crashtour99, September 17, 2009, 12:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crashtour99

Quote from: Webber1900 on January 29, 2010, 10:10:51 AM
That is just plain awesomeness. Is it some kind of castle or something?

It's actually the cooling tower for the underground reactor facility.   :wink:

Crashtour99

What's that?  New content?   :heheh:

Catacombs test room

As in the video description, big thanks go to DChronos and his hard work with animated tiles (and the guide he made so everyone can make their own) without which, I wouldn't be able to do the things I want in this area of the game.   :^_^:

Zhs2

Despite the goddamn awesome effects and decorations in those there catacombs, the rest of it being so empty just throws off the whole atmosphere, ya know? I am disappoint. :sad:

Crashtour99

Hmmm...  Empty?  You really think so?  I don't suppose you could describe this emptiness could you?  *genuinely curious, but has a feeling it has to do with flat areas and dark spaces in the background*

begrimed

The flat surfaces aren't too big of a deal, but yeah, the background is pretty empty. Shitload of potential for the area, though. I'd mix more of the GFX up from other game areas, and add more detail to the background than just long strips of darker-red caves. Also, those skull statues in the background behind those tombs with the respawning fire enemies - space those out some, probably, or only have them grouped together in a single area. Otherwise, yeah. DAMN.

Personal quirk though. I'm not really fond of the way the lava looks flowing from the skull mouths; I think the tiles could be better animated in a way that looks more lava-y. Also, the parts where the lava flowed in a ¯| pattern downhill need some work meshing together (you can see them along the bottom at 1:37 in the video).

RealRed

Lets get DSO in here to bitch about skulls.

I think the music for that video did a lot of justice. holy SHIT, that really matched well.
And I'll agree with these guys that your backgrounds could use a small bit of work. This looks awesome, man.

personitis

If you add a background, then I'll approve. =D

Crashtour99

LOL  Aight, background improvements it is then.  Thanks muchly for the critiques.

And yeah, I know the animation for the lava needs some work.  I planned on redoing that pretty soon.  This was mainly just to get an idea for how parts of the area would look and making sure that I could get the animated tiles to work like I wanted them to.  (just wait till you see some of the other ones I plan on adding to the area, they'll really bring those background statues to life  hehehehehe :wink:)

JamieWebb16

I have an idea for you, in the catacombs, you should have decaying body's hanging on the ceilings and are lying on the ground. Just an idea.

personitis

Quote from: JamieWebb16 on February 26, 2010, 09:34:15 PM
I have an idea for you, in the catacombs, you should have decaying body's hanging on the ceilings and are lying on the ground. Just an idea.
YES. I approve of that idea right thar! ---^ Add that and it will seriously feel like you've stepped into some kind of hell.

squishy_ichigo

Whats that music from in that video? It sounds very familiar...

Crashtour99

Hrm...  I don't know about hanging from the ceiling, but I did make some graphics of bones and such that I planned on putting in alcoves and on the ground (just didn't put them in that room for some reason  lol  the next video I make of the test room will show more   :wink:).

As for the music, I found a movie recently called "Dante's Inferno - An Animated Epic".  Awesome movie and even better music, so I searched for and found the OST for it.  Found out shortly later that the movie was fashioned after and released alongside a new video game.
http://www.dantesinferno.com/home.action
[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Pu2d-rNYs[/spoiler]

Crashtour99

And speaking of the next video...   :eyeroll:

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQC0s5YFWO8[/spoiler]

And in case the video doesn't show clearly enough...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Parabox

Holy fuck, Crashtour. You've done it again. Your hack really got a boost on my 'anticipated' list.

Zhs2

It still feels a bit devoid of decorations here and there, but what you've added are really nice touches. Holy fuck, dude. This hack looks like it will make six-year-olds crap their pants upon loading it up - that, or maybe it was just the accompanying music...

personitis

O_O

Daaaaaayum. It looks amazing with the bg. The hands that pop up add tension to the atmosphere and the music was great. 10/10

Bioniclegenius

Looks good, although I don't think it'll scare little kids and such. All the danger is 'in-your-face,' and you can see it, making the atmosphere a lot less tense. If a bunch of it was empty, but you knew danger was somewhere, but just couldn't find it, THAT'S what makes it scary. Still, I like the graphical changes you've made all over the place. And again, the hands are a nice touch.

MetroidMst

Pure greatness. Some others may be able to manipulate the graphics better, but they haven't made something feel like this. Keep it up.

begrimed

Aside from that, it's pretty damn awesom(er) now. The black areas in the background still look a bit barren, though. I'd find a tile or two that would be fine to 'spritz' around at random in the black areas.

FullOfFail

I agree the top could be smoother, but I sorta like the left one being flat like that. It makes it look like a temple or steps or something. I don't know if that was intended, but that's how my eyes took it. Just m opinion though.

Crashtour99

So, it's been a while...
But just to show you what I've been working on this whole time, here's a video...  Some of the speed setting may end up getting changed, but let me know what ya think.

asm test 2

As said in the video description, big thanks to Kejardon for the assist with getting screw attack working properly.

FullOfFail

You turned Samus into Magus from Chrono Trigger? Sweet!

Hiroshi Mishima

After seeing your RotW entry, I decided it was time I actually hunted down the thread it was for (or so I assumed, correctly it would seem). I gotta say I'm very impressed with the overall work you've put into it so far. It gives me a feeling similar to stuff I've seen in Castlevania (the creepy/morbid factor), while the music reminds me of thriller/horror style like Silent Hill and Demon's Crest.

I'm really quite anxious to see the final product someday. Keep up the good work. Now if you could only figure out how to make the in-game music fit the areas you're making.. I can't for the life of me really see anything matching up with the Catacombs; even Lower Norfair's music doesn't seem to quite fit...

Crashtour99

I've been thinking about not having much music actually, mostly dead silence except for some background stuff here and there.  Should have a nice Silent Hill effect.   :grin:  Glad to see that some of the effects I was going for are coming across properly.
Also been thinking that if I get industrious enough that I might pester SadFish about how to make music.  It would probably be pretty basic/simple stuff that I would want to add, just enough to add some tension to the atmosphere.  LOL  Nothing says creepy like dead silence with random strange noises coming from nowhere.

On a slightly different note, be prepared to see some of the new animated tiles I've been working on (one of which will be for public consumption for DC's animated tiles thread).   :cool:

Crashtour99

I think I'll just drop this here.   :twisted:
Should make for some interesting puzzles and player limitations early on.

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt7CCpulcOw[/spoiler]