News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Aether Jumping Navigation

Started by masterkeaton1000, August 15, 2013, 08:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masterkeaton1000

Hey all,

I figured this went in the off-topic forum as it isn't specifically related to hacking, more glitching.

I'm trying to do the "skip losing items" glitch in Metroid Prime 2, like in the video below:
MP2 - Avoid Losing Your Items (annotated)

I can do it all up until the part where you have to jump above the door in order to get back in bounds, when I'm in the void (out of bounds) I cannot seem to navigate at all, even when following what the video does exactly.

My question is: has anyone done this? And if so, do they have a reliable way of navigating the void without having to just wildly jump about the place hoping to gain some vertical height.

Apologies for if this isn't allowed, feel free to delete if necessary.

personitis

Alright, I will try to explain this as best as I possibly can. Each room is within an invisible box you can't see as the player. While inside this box, by continuously pressing B, you will eventually jump. While outside the box you won't be able to jump (at least iirc) but your height will be kept. The idea is to be inside said box and as you get a jump, jump toward the outside of the box this way your height is maintained. From here, position yourself slightly outside the box (you can achieve this safely by moving left and right so that if you fall back into the box, you will move quickly back outside) and move back into the box while at the same time jumping. This should, when timed properly, allow you to jump again. After the jump, move back outside the box, rinse, and repeat.

For reference, make your way up to about 2:50 in the video. Position yourself around there and start attempting to jump. As soon as you've got the jump, move outside the room's invisible box and start aether jumping.

I've dabbled a fair bit with MP2 tricks and sequence breaks so I'd like to think I know a thing or two. :wink:

masterkeaton1000

Thanks for the reply, I guess I just need some more practise with moving in the aether. I just wish there was some kind of map or something to show where the boxes were, y'know? (then again, invisible boxes would be kinda hard to map heh)

I'll give it some more shots, I'd quite like to learn more tricks, one at a time though eh?  :cool:

Quietus

While I'm not doubting Person's expertise, questions relating to this sort of thing would be better asked on the Metroid2002 forum, as it's what the forum was built around, and the users there are not only the world record holders for everything Metroid related, but also have extensive knowledge of just about every trick / secret world going. :^_^:

masterkeaton1000

Thanks Quietus, I'll have a look around there.

I do use Metroid2002 to discover tricks but I never actually thought of trying them until now.

I can't do any MP1 glitches (I don't think) because I have the sucky PAL version :/

Cheers for the replies guys  :grin:

Lunaria

I have the PAL version too and it can do plenty of glitches. (Assuming it's the GC one.) Just not ALL of the ones the NTSC version can and some of them are harder on the PAL ones. :P

Quietus

And even if you do have the NTSC version, a lot of them aren't possible unless you have the 0-00 release.

masterkeaton1000

Quote from: Crys on August 16, 2013, 08:26:19 AM
I have the PAL version too and it can do plenty of glitches. (Assuming it's the GC one.) Just not ALL of the ones the NTSC version can and some of them are harder on the PAL ones. :P

Quote from: Quietus on August 16, 2013, 08:41:06 AM
And even if you do have the NTSC version, a lot of them aren't possible unless you have the 0-00 release.

Okay, I should probably start reading the sites properly first. -1 for my ignorance.

Brb, gonna read Metroid2002 thoroughly :3