News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

I know this question might be silly...but,

Started by Corruptor, October 24, 2012, 10:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corruptor

Is there ANY program where you could take all the parts of a enemy, or tiles and edit them all together? I find TLP to be confusing, and after watching shadow's guide on editing item tiles, I got all confused with the right and left click and got no where with it, so I gave up, foolishly, and I was wondering if there was a tile editor like TLP where I can take all the parts of the enemy, and edit pixels or multiple pixels at once, and save it and have it load all the parts properly and no funny colors, including tiles. What I'm asking for, is not a single-tile at a time editor where you can put all the parts together using TLP. I'm trying to ask if there was something simpler and less frustrating. Hope I'm not too ambiguous.

Quietus

Metroidz

It's quite sad actually, I feel your pain I mean TLP is great for editing CRE/SCENERY and Items and Text but as far as enemies go you can't find anything for shit, the best I was ever able to do was change Ridley's wings to yellow and that's because I didn't have to sit and piece everything together, It's like trying to solve a Rubik's cube after somebody ripped the stickers off and messed them up.

Quote58

Quote from: Metroidz on October 25, 2012, 10:37:58 AM
It's like trying to solve a Rubik's cube after somebody ripped the stickers off and messed them up.
I've actually done that before, not as hard as you'd think. still a pain when you don't know they did it until you realize it's unsolvable though.....

Anyway, just keep practicing corrupter, after a while it gets a lot easier. And if you don't like tlp, maybe you should try using tile molester, or yy-chr.

interdpth

Metroidz

Quote from: Shadow96 on October 27, 2012, 09:50:57 AM
I've actually done that before, not as hard as you'd think. still a pain when you don't know they did it until you realize it's unsolvable though.....

Anyway, just keep practicing corrupter, after a while it gets a lot easier. And if you don't like tlp, maybe you should try using tile molester, or yy-chr.
That is a somewhat good idea, I personally like TLP, the only thing I can say is some of the enemies (Especially bosses and larger enemies) can be a pain in the ass, mainly because the're not consolidated, they're tossed around with a bunch of mingled things from other enemies that use the same (Or near identical) palette, and I think that's what discourages most people

Although I do wish Jathy's would have taken that idea from DH and put in the built in sprite editor, that'd probably clear a lot of Disk Space. xD But oh well, Guess we should be happy we can do what we can do now versus the primative SMILE where Clifhanger was revolutionary and Redesign and Phazon were completely out of reach but I guess we have TLP to thank for that. :P

Corruptor

Quote from: interdpth on October 27, 2012, 10:01:55 AM
Sadly DH had this as a planned feature. xD
DH, what are you talking about?
Quote from: Metroidz on October 27, 2012, 10:46:54 AM
Quote from: Shadow96 on October 27, 2012, 09:50:57 AM

That is a somewhat good idea, I personally like TLP, the only thing I can say is some of the enemies (Especially bosses and larger enemies) can be a pain in the ass, mainly because the're not consolidated, they're tossed around with a bunch of mingled things from other enemies that use the same (Or near identical) palette, and I think that's what discourages most people

Although I do wish Jathy's would have taken that idea from DH and put in the built in sprite editor, that'd probably clear a lot of Disk Space. xD But oh well, Guess we should be happy we can do what we can do now versus the primative SMILE where Clifhanger was revolutionary and Redesign and Phazon were completely out of reach but I guess we have TLP to thank for that. :P
Lol

Metroidz

DH? It's the abbreviation for Double Helix, it's the SMILE equivalent for Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission although I think somebody else made it, Jathy's mainly works on SMILE/SM so it has different features and a somewhat odd setup (Well of us, someone who mainly works on MF/MZM would say the same about us)

Quote58

"although I think someone else made it"
That would be Interdepth. And with some of the features in DH, hacking fusion and zm is pretty sweet, more people should do it. I have no interest in it however, super all the way for me.

Crashtour99

Corruptor:  yy-chr does everything you're looking for, however it's interface is pretty confusing.  If you're having trouble using TLP, then I'm pretty sure that yy-chr will drive you insane.  lol  IIRC Qactis was working on a user-guide for it at one point.  TLP really is the easiest to use, with a very intuitive interface design.

As far as DH and SMILE go, of course they're going to function different, because they work within the limits of the ROM data structures.  One of the nice things about SMILE though is if you go into the enemy editor you can find all the data needed to edit enemy gfx.  Find the enemy you want to edit in the editor and look for the gfx location box (will be a 3 byte address).  Convert that address to lorom (with LunarAddress) and plug that into TLP's goto function and it will take you to the enemy gfx.  The size value in the enemy editor window tells you how many bytes the gfx take up (in TLP, each 8x8 is $20 bytes).  From there the hardest part is the jigsaw puzzle of gfx, but that's what the sprite organizer window is for in TLP. 

Those 2 values from the enemy editor (gfx location, size) give you the 2 most needed bits of info though to easily find the gfx you want to edit for enemies.

Metroidz

Yeah TLP is definatley the most n00b-friendly SM GFX editor, most likely it'll work for all your hacking needs unless you REALLY feel you need to get higher and be the most superior huge ass hack *cough*Redesign*cough* 
Sad thing about DH is it's GBA formatted so it makes it difficult to "Cross contaminate" GFX (IE SM in MF/MZM and vice versa) Plus SMILE (From what I know I have VERY Minimal experience with DH) has more "Consolidation" IE, all the game GFX are in the Graphics Editor, the FX1, The Enemy DNA and Graphics rolled together, DH has a Sprite editor (Which works like the Enemy Palette in SMILE) but it contains more than the enemies and bosses (IE The empty Metroid Shells are in there, as well as some of what would be considered PLM's in SMILE)

Corruptor

I've moved the path's of only my saves to a different folder and it works fine, but now I can't save positions (and I use it for other games, not Super Metroid). Maybe something else is wrong with my paths? :pwuh: I can't tell.

snipereighteen

I use yy-chr to edit the graphics of seperate enemy parts and then fuse them with mspaint (the original paint). It works for me.