News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Hyperbeam Hack

Started by Drakon, March 30, 2014, 07:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakon

Something I made on the weekend for fun.  I made a version of super metroid where you always have the hyperbeam in all of its glitch-free glory.  I edited parts of tourian so you don't have to freeze and kill metroids to continue since having the hyperbeam disables all other weapon pickups including the freeze weapon.  I tested the game start to finish it works great.

Drakon Super Metroid Hyperbeam Hack

ianfrombristol

Nice that you seem to have got it glitch free  :nod:  Not sure how it could feature in a hack without making it too easy or forcing some 'unfortunate' redesign (like with the metroids in Tourian)

Jordan5

Could you turn it into a beam PLM like in YPR? :^_^: I'm sure that would be more useful than only being able to have it all the time.

Smiley

...I hope you've made sure people can't get permastuck in the Plasma beam room.

Drakon

Quote from: SMILEuser96 on March 30, 2014, 03:05:43 PM

I could have changed that door with the smile editor to a regular door but I left it so you can get perma stuck for the sake of humour.  You can of course just avoid it.

QuarterCircleMetroid

Quote from: Drakon on March 30, 2014, 04:32:49 PM
Quote from: SMILEuser96 on March 30, 2014, 03:05:43 PM

I could have changed that door with the smile editor to a regular door but I left it so you can get perma stuck for the sake of humour.  You can of course just avoid it.

permastucks =/= humor.

personitis

Quote from: Drakon on March 30, 2014, 07:46:48 AM
you always have the hyperbeam in all of its glitch-free glory.
Before I voice any farther opinion on this, I'd like to have it made clear what kind of glitches/oddities occur with hyper beam while just playing through the game aside from the afore mentioned plasma beam room and the Metroid rooms. I've never attempted such so I'm curious.

Quietus

From what I've seen before, it was primarily graphical, with the beam itself looking glitched, like a load of blobs.  Like so:
Super Metroid Hyper Beam

And rather than changing Plasma's door, it'd make more sense to just adjust the pirates' weakness to it.

begrimed

QuoteI could have changed that door with the smile editor to a regular door but I left it so you can get perma stuck for the sake of humour.  You can of course just avoid it.
Sure, easy to avoid after having it happen to you already. Permastucks should never be left in, dude.

DonnyDonovan

Could you add this patch to another hack and play through various hacks with the hyper beam, or is that inviting disaster?  This is obviously a noobish question from someone who plays a lot of hacks but admittedly hasn't spent a lot of time learning the inner-workings of SM.

Zephoras

Donny Im pretty sure its a no, Due to the fact that a patch Re-Writes various parts of the rom, it could cause many problems, But if you are brave give it a go.

Quote58

Depending on what the person did to give you hyper beam it should work fine. If the hack you put it on has no new asm or major code changes, then you're perfectly fine. If it does then try because it is unlikely to overwrite anything. 

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

Zephoras

Yeah.... good luck with getting that to work mate...